Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:32 am

BA uses a provisional load sheet - this is the document that details the weight and balance of the aircraft. Behind it there are a few other things such as loading instructions etc.

For the load sheet we assume everything that is booked onto the flight will turn up. We perform initial performance calculations using this data. When the flight is completed and closed and the loaders and cargo have all finished then a final load sheet is sent.

Sometimes the loaders have to adjust what goes where or cargo wont fit or is heavier than initially thought etc. Anyway this is sent to the aircraft as it taxies - it is usually only a few kilos different from the plan and all is good.

Occasionally the actual loading when checked will put an aircraft outside its performance calculation and a recalculation will need to be done. Even more occasionally the actual loading will have been changed - cargo may not be ready on time etc and so the loading will have taken the aircraft balance out of safe limits - this is when a return to stand will be required.

It is a slightly cumbersome system but it does allow more timely departures - or do we are told.
Tobias-UK, BoeBus and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:40 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
Fascinating - many thanks.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
BA uses a provisional load sheet - this is the document that details the weight and balance of the aircraft. Behind it there are a few other things such as loading instructions etc.

For the load sheet we assume everything that is booked onto the flight will turn up. We perform initial performance calculations using this data. When the flight is completed and closed and the loaders and cargo have all finished then a final load sheet is sent.

Sometimes the loaders have to adjust what goes where or cargo wont fit or is heavier than initially thought etc. Anyway this is sent to the aircraft as it taxies - it is usually only a few kilos different from the plan and all is good.

Occasionally the actual loading when checked will put an aircraft outside its performance calculation and a recalculation will need to be done. Even more occasionally the actual loading will have been changed - cargo may not be ready on time etc and so the loading will have taken the aircraft balance out of safe limits - this is when a return to stand will be required.

It is a slightly cumbersome system but it does allow more timely departures - or do we are told.
So having the odd one return to stand is better than all waiting on stand for something that is usually fine
Old Jul 26, 2023, 9:23 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Presumably then, you would not take off until the load sheet had been confirmed?
Old Jul 26, 2023, 10:35 am
D1L

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
Presumably then, you would not take off until the load sheet had been confirmed?
That's correct. It's a legal document that finalises all figures on the flight. It usually in most countries has to be signed by both the dispatcher and the captain in the paper format.

In BAs case, they are part of a minority of airlines that operate in this manor - wherein they receive it via ACARS, often once on the taxi out. Theres clearly pros to this in terms of time savings from last minute changes that happens in BAs type of operation... but also many more cons in my personal opinion. Father_teds example being just one of them. Whilst rare, its a large cost to burn all that taxi fuel to just do it all again.
ScruttonStreet likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by D1L
That's correct. It's a legal document that finalises all figures on the flight. It usually in most countries has to be signed by both the dispatcher and the captain in the paper format.

In BAs case, they are part of a minority of airlines that operate in this manor - wherein they receive it via ACARS, often once on the taxi out. Theres clearly pros to this in terms of time savings from last minute changes that happens in BAs type of operation... but also many more cons in my personal opinion. Father_teds example being just one of them. Whilst rare, its a large cost to burn all that taxi fuel to just do it all again.
All delays cost mega bucks, the bean counters have decided the margin risk cost of the odd RTS is outweighed by the speed of departure. Departure delays are harder to quantify in financial terms, but I dont doubt there has been a risk assessment made and a decision made as to which way they want to proceed.

BA have had LCP for the 21 years I have been here, I have never had a RTS, so I figure they have got it right. I dread to think how many departures I have done in 15 years of SH and 6 of LH, but plenty. Make your own judgment as to LCP efficacy.
ScruttonStreet likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 3:30 pm

The manufacturers build in huge safety margins in the aircraft performance. The B747, which is a self weighing aircraft, we were permitted to despatch provided the self weighing agreed with the load sheet +- 14 tons.
ScruttonStreet, marconess and D1L like this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 3:47 pm

Programs: Exec Club
I see the cavernous and very 1990s Newcastle office on banks of the Tyne is closing and moving to Cobalt Business Park in North Tyneside,

whilst I guess the majority work at home, will we see much disruption as the move is completed?
Old Jul 26, 2023, 6:07 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Originally Posted by rapidex
The manufacturers build in huge safety margins in the aircraft performance. The B747, which is a self weighing aircraft, we were permitted to despatch provided the self weighing agreed with the load sheet +- 14 tons.
I'm not in anyway saying I think it's a bad procedure, but just the figure of 14 tons blows my mind.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 2:00 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by marconess
I'm not in anyway saying I think it's a bad procedure, but just the figure of 14 tons blows my mind.
With the 744 MTOW being around 385 tons, a 14 ton discrepancy is just 3.5% which puts it into perspective.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 2:07 am

BA never released the 744 with such a discrepancy on the loadsheet. The limits are much closer, +1000/-5000kgs and there are limits on the balance too.
rapidex likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 2:16 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by rapidex
On the light aircraft I fly I wont even go 1 solitary pound overweight!
Old Jul 27, 2023, 4:37 am

As waterhorse details, the limits on compliance for late close out procedure final loadsheets are far less than that which the manufacture may have built in for fat, but it does go to show the inherent strength in these beasts. On some fleets now with onboard performance tools, you can have several versions of preliminary figures as the load plan changes on the run up to departure.

Ive only ever had one RTS and that was at an outstation. Every LIR or loading instruction report Ive ever seen all pretty much follow an ICAO/IATA standard format, but on this occasion the rampies managed to get the load back to front! Thankfully an on the ball dispatcher noticed and called us back. As it transpired we were only a couple %MACTOW out from the original target figure given it was a full load, but they did the right thing and with the figures reversed to correctly show the trim, ran a new loadsheet and we had the new correct actual MACTOW, still in limits, no need to unload and reload but just reset the stab trim. One of those should never ever events and yet it happened! Complacency is often the root cause of such things.
marconess likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by BA or bust
On the light aircraft I fly I wont even go 1 solitary pound overweight!
I remember sending student pilots 1st solo in a little Grumman AA1, and warning them that without my fat a@@e onboard, it would perform rather sportier on the climbout, and tend to float on landing. Those pounda made quite a difference.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 6:58 am

Though the weight & balance software isn't always perfect, it seems:
https://onemileatatime.com/news/alas...7-tail-strike/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.