Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA in the media 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
It's behind a paywall, I can't see anything aside from the headline.
I believe it's a Google requirement that one should always be able to read at least one article if it's found via the search engine. So the trick is to take part of the URL of the news item and put it into google and click through from there. It's how I've just read the article. In this instance, search google for f866c0f4-d0b6-11e9-99a4-b5ded7a7fe3f.
Jagboi likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Found it. The comments are pretty damning, absolutely no love lost for BA there.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
How does British Airways compare with rivals on pilot pay?

https://on.ft.com/2ZSHiBA

In case there is a paywall again i will sum up the article. Comparing BA pilot salaries with LH, Emirates, AF/KLM, Easyjet and Ryanair. Seems that BA pays better than LCC but LH and the other flag carries pilots get more compare to BA. Also what is interesting all the airlines mentioned above (apart from Easyjet and Ryanair) including US big three offer bonus depending on profit as part of the salary. BA is the only one who doesnt.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by ermis177
How does British Airways compare with rivals on pilot pay?

https://on.ft.com/2ZSHiBA

In case there is a paywall again i will sum up the article. Comparing BA pilot salaries with LH, Emirates, AF/KLM, Easyjet and Ryanair. Seems that BA pays better than LCC but LH and the other flag carries pilots get more compare to BA. Also what is interesting all the airlines mentioned above (apart from Easyjet and Ryanair) including US big three offer bonus depending on profit as part of the salary. BA is the only one who doesnt.
Can’t read the full article behind the pay wall but thanks for summarising; the trouble with such a comparison is it can’t just be made in the headline figures of course. Cost of living, tax, etc. For example EY have a base in Liverpool, clearly if they were paying the same as someone based at Heathrow, then they would be better off....
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
British Airways risks doing permanent damage to its reputation

https://www.ft.com/content/55dd4eb6-...6-8def889b4137

Another very interesting article by FT. To sum up the author is saying that customers are fed up with BA in the last few years. Also mentions that BA profit cow is the big contracts with companies for transantlatic flights.

From the article

Even the stranglehold BA’s parent company IAG has on 55 per cent of slots at Heathrow may not be enough to retain customers who have endured tired planes, penny-pinching and call centres so unresponsive that one American passenger has suggested setting up a support group for Executive Club members trapped in mindless waits

Spot on

The complacency is staggering. Until now, the company has been able to rely on the inertia of corporates booking transatlantic business class, which account for the bulk of profits. But charging frequent flyers to change seats is a strange way to reward loyalty, and cramming more seats into business creates a level of intimacy you might not want even if your neighbour was George Clooney. Since admitting last year that the data of 380,000 customers had been hacked, BA has never provided reassurance that it won’t happen again — or made me think that it minded.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Can't see it without subscribing. Going by your quotes it looks like everyone's churning out the same stuff anyway.
T8191 and navylad like this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Fox news report on Google news re BA poor flight

Political leanings aside, I'm wondering why this item has made it not only to Fox News, but Google news feed as well...

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/briti...nger-apologize

Aside from the bathroom door coming loose, I had pretty much the same experiences recently on a (very) outdated 747 (IFE broken, seat broken, terrible food, etc).

I did report the issues, and rec'd a coupon for 20 pounds for future travel.....LOL
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:55 am

First time I've ever looked at an article on that website. The comments ..... ouch, I feel I lost IQ points trying to understand them. At least I learnt I can just take an Uber next time I want to go to India.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Fair play to BA for fitting a bath in the aircraft though. Beats the ME3 with their showers in the A380s.
mhy likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
First time I've ever looked at an article on that website. The comments ..... ouch, I feel I lost IQ points trying to understand them. At least I learnt I can just take an Uber next time I want to go to India.
But what about the reports of the really poor condition of BA's fleet? It seems their statement about more than 8 billion in refurbs is a tacit acknowledgement that BA is right now the slum of the skies.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Sep 16, 2019 at 1:04 pm Reason: Remove diversion towards OMNI
Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by rickg523
But what about the reports of the really poor condition of BA's fleet? It seems their statement about more than 8 billion in refurbs is a tacit acknowledgement that BA is right now the slum of the skies.
The "by-line" of the author represents "The Sun", not Fox News.

So - why does a seemingly common complaint re BA (bad food, bad IFE, etc.) merit global attention? As I said, I had many of the same issues, was similarly "mad" at them, etc..... and so are doubtless many many others.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Sep 16, 2019 at 1:07 pm Reason: Edit quote
Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rrz518
The "by-line" of the author represents "The Sun", not Fox News.

So - why does a seemingly common complaint re BA (bad food, bad IFE, etc.) merit global attention? As I said, I had many of the same issues, was similarly "mad" at them, etc..... and so are doubtless many many others.
The Sun and Fox News are two sides of the same corrupt coin.
The comments remarked upon were from [expletive deleted].

Last edited by Prospero; Sep 16, 2019 at 12:24 pm Reason: To comply with rule 16
Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:43 am

The Sun and Fox News are two sides of the same corrupt coin.
The comments remarked upon were from [expletive deleted].
I'd rather keep the topic focused on the ridiculousness of the story and complaint, if you don't mind. I watch Fox News, and it has very high ratings in the US. So please don't insult those of us that do.

Last edited by Prospero; Sep 16, 2019 at 12:24 pm Reason: Amend quoted content
Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rrz518
I'd rather keep the topic focused on the ridiculousness of the story and complaint, if you don't mind. I watch Fox News, and it has very high ratings in the US. So please don't insult those of us that do.
Well if you watch Fox News, surely you recognize that they feel no such compunctions about insulting those who differ with them politically.
My last word on this, because this is BA, not Bad Omni.
And on that subject, the complaints reported are in line with my own experiences in BA premium cabins. Particularly the problems with provisioning. Never had the washroom door fall off though.

Last edited by rickg523; Sep 16, 2019 at 4:00 pm
Old Sep 16, 2019, 12:00 pm

Well if you watch Fox News, surely you recognize that they feel no such compunctions about insulting those who differ with them politically.
That's not the point.
rickg523 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.