Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:15 pm

I actually find boarding in Asia to be quicker and more relaxed than Europe/US, especially less hassles with hand luggage despite a lack of Ryanair-esqe bag police. Any DYKWIA types are inevitably Western.

The *horror* expressed by some people that SQ doesn't have priority security at Changi still amuses me greatly & there is one British guy who always seems to be on the same KLM Singapore-Bali flights as me who absolutely insists on being first on/off, last time pushing his way past everyone in the aisle from row 5 to the door!
LCY8737 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
It was a genuine point, tbh.

In Jakarta, everyone pushes through, no one gets annoyed and it all just seems to work 😀
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
It was a genuine point, tbh.

In Jakarta, everyone pushes through, no one gets annoyed and it all just seems to work 😀
The security in sin is impossible in my opinion .
Boarding in India was working great.. On the way out on indigo flight they all just push and pass. Lol
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Brown
A discussion about boarding around the World is fascinating, but please start a new thread, this is the DYKWIA and when you see new post's here you look forward to a bit of a laugh.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Yesterday, ex-EU back to LGW. A lady boarded with seats two rows behind the curtain having already argued with the gate staff as to why she hadn't been upgraded. First comment onboard was have my seats been sorted to which the cabin crew replied, yes, they are on your boarding pass. Apparently she had been promised an upgrade at checkin but nobody there had told anyone else, as she reluctantly headed to her seat, her and her partners luggage were placed in the locker above my seat. Shortly after take off she continued pushing to move but the cabin crew were having none of it, about half an hour later she came forward taking notes of the 2 empty seats in CE and the cabin crew names. She has a gold card don't you know, hmm, I wonder how many others did too? There are ways to ask for an upgrade, this behaviour certainly isn't one of them.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by strickers
Shortly after take off she continued pushing to move but the cabin crew were having none of it, about half an hour later she came forward taking notes of the 2 empty seats in CE and the cabin crew names.
This is quite extraordinary behavior! Thanks to 'contacts' I am from time to time offered upgrades when travelling in ET. When they happen after 'boarding complete' I feel rather self conscious and tend to politely decline, especially when sat in a window with a blocked seat. CE is fine, but not good enough to look like a complete plonker.
AJ747M and Fatdickie like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Think I might have had my first DYWIA moment on Tuesday. After having to run through MAD to make a very tight connection to BHX (due to late inbound flight from LIS), I was threatened by gate agents with having to gatecheck my bag, which I've never done before, and hopefully will continue to manage to avoid. They relented when I pointed out I was travelling in J and was OWE, helped by the great cabin crew who pointed out they in fact had space for my case in J.

I got my comeuppance when they failed to load my cabin baggage. Only got that back today.
VSLover likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
While perhaps coming across a bit DYKWIA-ish, IB's (unofficial?) policy is indeed that anyone with priority boarding does not get their bag gate-checked.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by BA6501
While perhaps coming across a bit DYKWIA-ish, IB's (unofficial?) policy is indeed that anyone with priority boarding does not get their bag gate-checked.
That's what I thought too, so thanks for the confirmation. I thought it was especially rich because the whole reason I was one of the last to board was because the other flight was late.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
I was in two minds whether to post this here or in the Celebs on BA thread. You will see why.

Getting off a recent flight in CW, the bridge came to the second door on a 777 but no one showed up. Then the front door opened all of a sudden and a member of some kind of meet-and-greet VIP staff wandered on to the plane to meet someone and blocked everyone in the isle from getting off (plus one of the cockpit crew somehow managed to be there as well and stood with his back to us to make it clear we were not to pass. We then had to make our way through the seats to the other isle to get off while these VIPs chatted seemingly oblivious to those of us wanting to get off an 11 hour flight.

Waiting for luggage a bit later, I spotted this meet-and-greet person with their entourage and I made my displeasure at being delayed quite clear to that person (not the VIP). It was a very brief exchange but they got the point.

The actual VIP then made a circle round to the other side of the luggage belt to find me and apologize. She was rather embarrassed at causing frustration and said she doesn't really like being greeted but there are those 'that like to rub shoulders' and its unavoidable. She had to introduce herself as I had no idea who she was (and am not planning to say).

So my conclusion then has to be, either the greeter was the DYKWIA person or I was (or both).
YacozA, wrp96, aidy and 2 others like this.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by mjack99
She had to introduce herself as I had no idea who she was (and am not planning to say).

Spoilsport !
ben1991 and nilsfr69 like this.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
Ah yes sorry that is why I posted it here and not in the Celebs thread in the end.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:42 am

Ah yes sorry that is why I posted it here and not in the Celebs thread in the end.
You could always post a separate celeb sighting in the celebs thread, without the DYKWIA story. People might jump to conclusions but surely you can't be held responsible for that.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
I was in two minds whether to post this here or in the Celebs on BA thread. You will see why.

Getting off a recent flight in CW, the bridge came to the second door on a 777 but no one showed up. Then the front door opened all of a sudden and a member of some kind of meet-and-greet VIP staff wandered on to the plane to meet someone and blocked everyone in the isle from getting off (plus one of the cockpit crew somehow managed to be there as well and stood with his back to us to make it clear we were not to pass. We then had to make our way through the seats to the other isle to get off while these VIPs chatted seemingly oblivious to those of us wanting to get off an 11 hour flight.

Waiting for luggage a bit later, I spotted this meet-and-greet person with their entourage and I made my displeasure at being delayed quite clear to that person (not the VIP). It was a very brief exchange but they got the point.

The actual VIP then made a circle round to the other side of the luggage belt to find me and apologize. She was rather embarrassed at causing frustration and said she doesn't really like being greeted but there are those 'that like to rub shoulders' and its unavoidable. She had to introduce herself as I had no idea who she was (and am not planning to say).

So my conclusion then has to be, either the greeter was the DYKWIA person or I was (or both).
I'm sorry but if cc was involved (and cockpit crew too) I think there is nothing to complain about, the greeter is just doing his job, same as you do.
Not too sure why apologies were needed to be honest.

Bottom line - VIPs usually don't wait at luggage belts, their entourage does so instead.
esledo likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: QF WP, SQ & VA Gold, IHG Spire AMB, HH Diamond + BA, AA, CX
Keep meaning to post this, but I had a DYKWIA moment on 30/12 at LAX, AA193 23:50 to HKG.

Having been ejected from the hotel at 14:00 (latest checkout I could get), we (me and OH) spent the arvo in the QF First lounge, and headed down to board probably around 23:00, naturally the gate area was heaving, and the flight from the night before had been canx, so there were probably standby pax waiting for no-shows too. Anyway, we were probably no. 3/4 in the Priority Boarding queue, and a stereotype (loud, obnoxious American) comes rolling up behind, loudly announcing his priority boarding entitlement.

He starts making a bee-line for my OH, and I can tell he's going to try and work his way through, and her being nicer than me would have probably just let him. However, I was half full of booze at this point, so ensured she was in front of me, manoeuvred all our bags into a highly inconvenient position, and made a point of solidly blocking the path. My only response to his announcement that "he's Platinum" (or something along those lines) was, "yeah, same". This guy was wearing a full suit for a 15-hour overnight flight, as you do, so was obviously very important, and probably felt it too.

In all seriousness, I'm not all that bothered if someone wants to be obnoxious to a point, I'll give as good as I get, but it does annoy me when people try the same tricks on my OH, as she will let them get away with it, so at that point I have no qualms getting involved

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.