Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

You First...or You "don't really matter once we have your money"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

So, my return flight from LAX-LHR-EDI in F was not the pleasant experience I was hoping for...Ironically, the best part of the whole journey home was my 2.5 hours I spent in the Qantas F lounge! The best part of a BA First experience was in another airline's lounge! Ha...that doesn't bode well.

Anyway, my flight home was insufferably hot in F...I asked them on numerous occasions to turn things down a little, and they said that they had, but it never cooled down. Right near the end of the flight, they finally said to me that they had tried to turn the temperature down, but it wouldn't come down, for some reason...I actually left the flight with a thumping headache...and not because of the Champagne (I drank water and OJ for the return flight)...

Then, two hours in, my IFE failed...They tried to re-boot it 4 times, but it never worked again, and that was my entertainment done for the flight, as F was full, so I couldn't even move seats...

Twice, they brought the wrong food I had requested, when they asked what I wanted for dinner, and breakfast...

And to cap it off, when I got to Edinburgh, there was no sign of my bags...and also, no one anywhere to ask. The whole carousel area was completely devoid of any airport staff (let alone BA staff) whatsoever...

So, we spent over 30 minutes waiting in the carousel area (after everyone else had left) hoping that someone would appear that we could actually ask where to go...the signs on the exit clearly stated No Re-Admittance once you exit, so we didn't want to go through in case it was completely the wrong thing to do, we had no idea, but after 30+ minutes, we had no choice but to exit into the main airport, sans bags...

I then remembered that as a F passenger, BA had a You First "customer service" department...so I telephoned them, and after 15 minutes of being on hold (must have been a lot of First Class issues), someone answered...

I explained my lack of bags and lack of anyone to ask what to do...He took my bag receipt number, and went away for a few minutes, then came back to tell me that my bags did not make my flight from LHR to EDI...No poop Sherlock!

I asked him what he was going to do next, and (to my astonishment) he told me that You First now have finished their responsibility, as the flight was done, and there was nothing more he could (would) do, as I was no longer a First passenger, as the flight was over...I told him (in no uncertain terms) that as far as I was concerned, my flight was not complete until myself and my luggage were in my possession, but he was adamant that You First's responsibility was over, and that I should find a BA ticket desk or check in agent at Edinburgh, and explain my situation...

By this point, it was almost 90 minutes later, and I had missed my train home, so I said to him, after having been on the go for 26 hours, I was going to take a taxi home (at a cost of about £50) and fully expect BA to cover that cost...but he said he could not authorise that...

So, I told him that I was far from impressed with BA and my First experience, especially as my last J flight with BA a few months ago to Philadelphia, I had delayed bags (I also posted a thread on it here, and got some very helpful advice)...so that was 2 vacations, one in J and one in F, and both times bags have been delayed...

Anyway, F, and You First, certainly let myself and my wife down on this occasion, and the You First chap did not seem to go out of his way in the slightest to try and make things better...

Disappointedly,
Kevin
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Terrible
gordon0808 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate that BA have had a lot of issues today, and I fully sympathise with everyone caught up in the LGW chaos, I really do...but I have been less than impressed with BA on my last two (J & F) trips...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
@KevinM99, I'm not sure if there is a question in there. If you are looking for assistance from the combined FlyerTalk wisdom perhaps you would identify how we might be able to assist.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Not really looking for any assistance, but I appreciate you asking...more of a "trip report" on the failings of BA and their "First Class" product, and in particular, the basically, useless "You First" department...and if this is the peak of their product, then it falls well short of what a First Class service should, in fact, be...

I felt that it was really First Class in name only...and certainly not worth the £0,000's I paid for it...

P.S. I didn't think it unreasonable to ask You First for my taxi fare home to be recompensed, because on the delay...it was, after all, less than 1% of the cost of my reservation...

Last edited by KevinM99; Dec 20, 2018 at 3:19 pm
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:20 pm

I would raise a complaint with Customer Relations, you will find the process here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...nts-and-claims
KevinM99 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Tobias...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, and others
YouFirst, from my experience, is absolutely terrible.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:30 pm

Send a dm on twitter and request for a call back. I would keep the detail to a minimum as the social media team can create and resolve Customer relations issues and cases.

in regards to Youfirst they should have created a cr case and escalated it as priority. At any point did the csd/CSM speak to you during the flight, did you raise any issues with them regarding onboard service, Ife? If they didn’t I am not surprised all my flights from lax Lhr have been poor....
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:30 pm

The IFE failed completely on the BA268 last night (LAX-LHR also). I’m used to failures on the older aircraft but it’s the first time I’ve seen the IFE on an A380 fail across the whole aircraft. The CSD tried multiple times to reboot it but it refused to come back on annoyingly.

Funnily enough the crew serving in F exemplified BA wonderfully. The crew working the left aisle in F was terrible but the one working the right aisle was amazing!
LimaWhiskey likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

@evacboy And mine now too...hence my (slightly tongue in cheek) thread title

I do wonder about it's value, with the fact that it can't/won't (or a mixture of the two) do an awful lot...and a pet peeve of mine is when a company hides behind T&C's, and uses them to their advantage...

At what point is a flight over? Is it the second I step off the plane, or is it when I step off the plane with my luggage, which under the terms of the ticket issued, BA have agreed to transport (at least, that's how I see it).

Anyway, I am going to put a claim in for my taxi fare home, and see what happens...I very much doubt I will get very far, but I got a receipt form the taxi company, just in case, and I used one that was based at the airport, not some "fly by night" company...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by evacboy
YouFirst, from my experience, is absolutely terrible.
You First is the same team that looks after the GGLs, they are generally excellent. I suspect that the call to them might have been made after hours and therefore answered offshore. No excuse, the agent should have at least, at the very minimum, provided the OP with information on what to do or where to go.

Once a flight has been taken, all complaints are then handled by the Customer Relations Team.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by KevinM99
I asked him what he was going to do next, and (to my astonishment) he told me that You First now have finished their responsibility, as the flight was done, and there was nothing more he could (would) do, as I was no longer a First passenger, as the flight was over...I told him (in no uncertain terms) that as far as I was concerned, my flight was not complete until myself and my luggage were in my possession, but he was adamant that You First's responsibility was over, and that I should find a BA ticket desk or check in agent at Edinburgh, and explain my situation...
Phenomenal advertisement for the First product.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Having just checked my Exec club account, I notice that onboard they have applied some Avios to my account for the non functioning IFE...

They applied a whopping 114 Avios to my account! WooHoo, I can now take that round the world redemption trip in F that I was planning! LOL

Seems pretty paltry, and hardly worth the effort...But it’s nice to know that BA value their IFE in First as worth 114 Avios!
gordon0808 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:56 am

For no IFE in F you’d be looking at around 20k Avios so I’m pretty sure the 114 is unrelated! YouFirst are part of the reservations team so they can’t really help with issues post-travel, which is generally defined as once your ticket’s been used for a given sector of your journey. The most (and really least) they could have done is pass your details to Customer Relations for them to add the right number of Avios.
CharlotteC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.