Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A Word of Warning - Amex Travel Insurance LGW Disruption 20.12.18

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Word of Warning - Amex Travel Insurance LGW Disruption 20.12.18

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Palmer
Just spoken to Amex Travel insurance. I have a stand alone Select policy (Select 45 AMT). I’m caught up in the disruption at Gatwick today. My flight has been cancelled. I called for advice regarding booking and claiming for a hotel overnight.

Amex told me that they are treating these events as unprecedented and will not be providing insurance cover for this event. Amex said even though my flight had been cancelled, they interpret the policy to cover bad weather and those sorts of things.

I’ll leave it there.

Palmer
Strange, my experience with them (same as you, Select 45 AMT, family cover) was that they were quite helpful and paid out quickly. If they are like this now, I guess it is time to look for a new insurer.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by taxloop

Do I have any case?
Hi Taxloop. Firstly it's not best practice to re-animate very old threads as it leads to the confusion such as the above post where somebody has seen a current thread and responded to it even though what they are responding to is almost a year old.

Secondly it would be good to get a bit more detail. Are you UK based?

If you are then, without reading the policy documents in detail, I would suggest this is a "cutting short" of a trip (albeit cut short in the first instance) about which the Amex UK website says:

Cutting short your trip provides up to £7,500 cover for costs to return home (and to resume original trip) and unused travel and accommodation costs where a trip has been purchased on the Card Account.

If they are claiming it's a "cancellation" then this would fall under:

Cancelling, postponing or abandoning your trip provides cover for up to £7,500 cover for unused travel, accommodation, excursion and leisure activities that have been paid for, or pre-booked, on the Card Account which are not refundable or a fee is charged to change them.

Frankly I'm confused as to why they wouldn't pay out. This seems to be exactly what travel insurance is for...
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by aceman

agree. I flew back to the UK and next day on to JER, my luggage didn’t make it, called about delayed/lost luggage stuff and was told to buy up to x limit and keep the receipts. Fast worward to submitting them and they telll me that there’s no way they could pay out because I went home in between. Never mind the fact that I don’t actually have many clothes and my only suit, only pair of black shoes and only toiletaries etc were in my bag, even better they suddenly had “no record of the conversation” with the agent I’d spoken to.
In my experience, no one ever paid up for a "return to base/home/starting point" trip. You are right, their argument was you are home and therefore will have everything you need. As a lesson to you, in the future, when you make any phone calls, make sure you note the date, time and name of the person you spoke to. This, together with your prove of your phone call (bills, etc) can force a SAR on them to get a record of the conversation.

To side track a bit, I once flew BA to SIN, return from LSI. My check in piece got delayed for 3 days and BA tried to avoid paying out because I am a Singapore citizen and therefore I am "returning home". I proved that this is not the case by presenting my Singapore ID card, which actually has a UK address printed on it. Only then did they pay me £35 a day as I am "not home".
PC44 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
Hi Taxloop. Firstly it's not best practice to re-animate very old threads as it leads to the confusion such as the above post where somebody has seen a current thread and responded to it even though what they are responding to is almost a year old.
Just saw this and checked the dates. Ops, sorry about the replies...
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by alvinlwh
Just saw this and checked the dates. Ops, sorry about the replies...
All good, we've all been there
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
We had a cruise booked from Venice leaving 28th July. Our flight was 7.30 am London City to Venice on 27th July. Cruise and flights paid for on our Amex Platinum Card (and my wife is a supplementary card holder).

10.00 pm on 26th July BA cancelled our flight by a text message. We had a few hours trying for alternate flights with BA and other operators. There was nothing available to get us to Venice by Sunday afternoon.

The best we could do was fly to Split on Sunday and meet the cruise on Monday which was the first stop.

Our loss was one night hotel in Split. Venice hotel I had booked on points and I could do a cancellation. Other loss was two pre paid transport plus Sunday dinner. Is not massive but I thought Amex Platinum would be a good cover.

I called today to check and they said I am not covered as its a cancellation and not a delay.

Do I have any case?
Similar case to yours, got a flight cancelled due to weather, rebooked myself on the train. Called Amex Platinum insurance after the trip and got the train ticket reimbursement (minus cost of the flight ticket, which was refunded by FlyMayBe) without issues.

​​​​​
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
We had a cruise booked from Venice leaving 28th July. Our flight was 7.30 am London City to Venice on 27th July. Cruise and flights paid for on our Amex Platinum Card (and my wife is a supplementary card holder).

10.00 pm on 26th July BA cancelled our flight by a text message. We had a few hours trying for alternate flights with BA and other operators. There was nothing available to get us to Venice by Sunday afternoon.

The best we could do was fly to Split on Sunday and meet the cruise on Monday which was the first stop.

Our loss was one night hotel in Split. Venice hotel I had booked on points and I could do a cancellation. Other loss was two pre paid transport plus Sunday dinner. Is not massive but I thought Amex Platinum would be a good cover.

I called today to check and they said I am not covered as its a cancellation and not a delay.

Do I have any case?
I always thought Amex Plat Insurance was great, until I spoke to them recently. Like you I was caught up in the end of July weather issue. We were stuck at the airport and arrived two days late into Oslo.

I asked amex if I could claim for the two nights I had already prepaid for in Oslo and was told no as the flight was cancelled rather than delayed.

Another reason not the renew the card
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
A flight being cancelled and you being rebooked on a different flight (either on your own steam or the airline doing it) for me, constitutes for insurance purposes a delay.

The technicalities of shifting to a new flight number should be completely irrelevant. For all intents and purposes, you were delayed in starting your trip.

I'd be surprised if the insurance ombudsman had a different view and I'd let your insurance company let them know you'll be raising a complaint if they didn't decide in your favour.
​​​​​​
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Reading the Platinum Insurance page and I can see the following:

And the insurance policy pdf has the following:

It doesn't mention flight cancellation as a reason to deny an insurance claim.

I can see insurance provider has changed though... it used to be AXA if I remember correctly.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:26 am

Thanks for all advice. I have lodged a claim online with Amex Platinum Insurance and will see how this goes Claim is about £360 in loss. I asked them about two days loss of our holiday.

Thanks
megaloman and hotel_user like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
My weekend in Glasgow was wrecked by BA operational meltdown at the end of July.

BA refused any any assistance with meals or hotels as I was starting from LHR. This despite staff telling to spend and claim!

i claimed via amex for a rather expensive dinner for 2 and lost first night hotel costs in Glasgow. The dinner was paid for but the hotel was denied. Whilst pleased that a pricey meal was covered I did challenge the refusal to pay for the lost night.

the issue was around delays rather than abandonment but after a brief chat they did agree to pay minus the excess of £50. A week later and I am claiming again for damaged baggage.

I must say the speed they dealt with matters and outcome was impressive. This is the first time ever since 2006 that they quibbled about a claim and I, thanks to flying on BA, have had some stonking claims. Missing bags for a family of 4 £1200, snow disruption £1600, volcanic disruption almost £3000 for hotels cars and meals, US medical claim for a child $1000, Hawaii hurricane delay £850, now a further £500 again thanks to BA.

i baulk st the amex fee but as you can see from the above it will be some years before they get more out of me than I have had out of them. I am just amazed they cover you if on BA,
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by binman
i claimed via amex for a rather expensive dinner for 2 and lost first night hotel costs in Glasgow. The dinner was paid for but the hotel was denied. Whilst pleased that a pricey meal was covered I did challenge the refusal to pay for the lost night.

If truly the Amex insurance does not cover for scenarios like this one, what other insurances should one consider that do?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ringingup
If truly the Amex insurance does not cover for scenarios like this one, what other insurances should one consider that do?[/left]
Actually I've been doing some private research on travel insurance of late - it's not on topic enough for me to put my findings online here (I guess I could find somewhere else) but it is quite amazing how insurers duck and weave around this. For example (from a long list)
- Making a distinction between delays (modest cover) and cancellations (no cover, since they think EC261 does that)
- Connection cover, sometimes only UK only, only a few insurers give genuine full connection cover
- Low limits on connection cover
- Excluding airline bankruptcy
- Excluding or restricting strike coverage
- A really low "single item" amount for valuables such as laptops or smartphones - £25 isn't unusual
- No cover for volcano style incidents
- Limiting medical cover if you don't call them before going to a hospital, even if it is the only hospital in the region
- No or limited cover for delays on return flights, when you absolutely have to get home to go to work the next day
Furthermore though this is most likely with the cheaper policies, it really isn't as simple as saying don't buy cheap.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 3:51 am

Thanks for previous replies. All very helpful.

I called Amex Insurance this morning to ask if they have received everything. They just asked for proof of cancellation and proof of my flight to Split and proof my return.

Good news is they will pay for any loss from original departure time to when we boarded the cruise up to £300 per person.

However they say there is no cover for two days loss of our holiday. Any views on this?

Thank you again.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:21 am

I was thinking all is ok until Amex Plat Insurance just called me.

They said I am only covered for my loss in UK which means they will only pay me £85.00.

I explained that that I had different advice earlier.

Very confusing. They are coming back to me later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.