Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check-in issues at LHR T5 - 20/12/2018

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:26 am

Currently on the 717 just landed from ZRH - we are waiting for a gate, which I’m guessing means that they are struggling to get aircraft out. Looks like it will be a long evening tonight waiting on the connection.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:35 am

Further update - waiting for a gate will be another 25-30 minutes, and the captain has just said “Heathrow is a complete mess tonight”.

It is going to be a long night
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:40 am

It seems that the issue cleared itself some 20 minutes ago; obviously this has thrown quite a wrench in the works over at LHR.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:04 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Arrived at T5 just after 6pm. Took 1 hour to check in bags and get through First wing security (only one machine in use). Time almost evenly split between check-in queue and security queue.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:05 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
LHR check-in systems down >1h, causing chaos

I found myself entangled in a messy LHR-GVA hop on BA. Right as I was starting to check-in at the First counters, their systems went down for ~70min. I was at T-70 (on a 45min checkin cutoff). I stood at that counter for 75min before the systems came back up. Miraculously, my flight was delayed just enough that once the systems came back up, I hi-tailed it to the gate and just made it. My suitecase, on the other hand, didn't, and won't arrive until tomorrow.

I can't imagine the mood in the regular check-in lines, I took a peak briefly and saw it created quite a backlog.

Partner traveling with me to another destination was delayed >2h as a result, depite being at the airport 90min before departure.

How does one go about asking BA for comp? AA EXP (oneworld emerald) flying on BA award ticket.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:07 pm
gms

Onboard now. But pilot has just advised us that we have 3 containers of luggage that are not supposed to be on our plane. Resolution timeframe = not known!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic

How does one go about asking BA for comp? AA EXP (oneworld emerald) flying on BA award ticket.
What do you need compensation for? If it is simply because you are missing your luggage, BA don’t generally pay compensation for this. However, if you need to buy some items because you need them at your destination, then BA will recompense you your actual expenses as long as these are reasonable. You will need to keep receipts and submit a claim.

Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Originally Posted by gms
we have 3 containers of luggage that are not supposed to be on our plane
How nice of BA to provide Xmas presents for everybody on your flight!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:36 pm
gms

Originally Posted by Irreverent Medusa
How nice of BA to provide Xmas presents for everybody on your flight!
Yep. They've sorted the baggage problem ( so I probably wont have any bags in Shanghai!). Now our tug driver has buggered off. Plus a plane is stuck behind us waiting for its parking space. BA at its best today!

Last edited by gms; Dec 20, 2018 at 3:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.