Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Combining Amex 2-4-1 and Lloyds upgrade vouchers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond

Slightly complex situation that I’ll probably try calling BAEC / Avios about tomorrow, but thought I’d check in with the collective expertise here first 😁

Looking to book LHR-SIN in Club for me, wife and son. We are all in a BAEC household account, Amex voucher is in my account, as is Lloyds upgrade voucher. Plan was to book two of us via BAEC using Amex voucher and another via Avios.com using Lloyds upgrade voucher. All seemed good until a check of small print on Lloyds voucher revealed the cardholder must travel on the booking. Initial thought is I’m SOL, but did think there may still be hope. As Avios.com accounts are closing (mine is also an AerClub account) we are being told that we need to call BAEC to redeem Lloyds vouchers. My question is, should I zero out my Avios.com balance and wait for it to close then try to book all 3 in one booking with both vouchers, call BAEC and see if I can book it all now anyway, or suck it up and buy a load more Avios?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See this recent thread with a similar question:
Cannot use both types of voucher on one booking?
See also:
Use of BA 2-4-1 and Lloyds upgrade voucher "together"
Lloyds upgrade voucher - points from multiple BAEC accounts
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks, that largely confirms my SOL conclusion then ☹️
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:25 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
If your avios.com account is still active, you should probably be able to use the Lloyds voucher online for your wife, despite the small print. You can test that out with a dummy booking: think it will ask you for the passenger name. If you can make the booking, I don’t think there’s a significant risk you’ll get troubled by the rule later.

the downside of that is you can’t do a split T-355 booking at avios.com like you can for the 241. You have to book the return when 2 legs are available.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:03 am
Original Poster

That sounds encouraging, thanks. No need to split the booking, as currently availability is there for the planned two way trip. Will shfit some Avios over to avios.com later and try that.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

That seems to work. Went through the process of booking a random flight with my wife’s name as the passenger, and got all the way to the payment page before I bailed out.
stuart_f likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
That seems to work. Went through the process of booking a random flight with my wife’s name as the passenger, and got all the way to the payment page before I bailed out.
Could I ask what browser you were using when doing this? I have tried to use a voucher sitting in my account that I can still see, but can't get further than the first page where I input the desired route, then it just goes to a page where it says "not available" basically....wondering if it is my browser (I have tried Chrome and IE)
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:10 am
Original Poster

That was Chrome on iPad, and just tried Chrome and Safari on Mac which also worked OK. I have found that page where is starts searching for flights sometimes errors, or takes *ages* to load.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
That was Chrome on iPad, and just tried Chrome and Safari on Mac which also worked OK. I have found that page where is starts searching for flights sometimes errors, or takes *ages* to load.
Thanks for the update - I will try a few more times before calling up...
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Just reporting back to the group on this - 2 bookings gone through as planned. Me + offspring via BAEC with Amex voucher, other half via Avios.com with Lloyds voucher.
The avios.com booking didn't show a ticket number straight away, but overnight a ticket has been issued. All 3 of us now have ticket numbers; that should mean we are all good, right?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by daftboy
Thanks for the update - I will try a few more times before calling up...
Just to follow up on this in case anyone else stumbles on this thread - I had two vouchers in my account and was trying to book 2 x return tickets. I was getting an error when I selected the option for 2 people/outbound or inbound, but when I switched to booking as a simple return for one person the booking went through just fine, and then I used the other voucher to book the same for the second pax.

I have an AerClub account (i.e. on the avios.com platform) which has kept the avios.com booking engine open as an option for me; I could see and use my Lloyds vouchers in there.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Just reporting back some good news for those concerned with Lloyds voucher T's and C's and/or BA targeting 2-4-1 redemptions. Back home after all legs flown in booked cabins - no downgrades enforced upon us, and my wife was able to travel on a booking I made with my Lloyds upgrade voucher.
pauldb likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
If anyone still has a voucher it may not be so easy. I had 2 and could not use them online......it failed at the last step and said I had to ring to finish the booking - unless I was just unlucky,
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Slightly off topic on this. Guessing like many others I received my letter around January notifying me of the changes. No annual fee, loss of Amex and upgrade voucher etc....

However, the letter did go on to say ( I think) that I would still have until a future date (possibly 31st Jan 2020) to reach the spend threshold to trigger my final upgrade voucher.

Typically, this letter was binned or lost so I don't have it to refer to but I have now spent over £7500 in this year but when I call Lloyds to ask about my upgrade voucher, I may as well be speaking in Martian! They know nothing of it and simply say I should call BA.

Anyone have any ideas of who to call and what to quote? Also, does anyone know if that 31/1/20 date I recall going to be the same for everyone or is it client specific?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by parklife
If anyone still has a voucher it may not be so easy. I had 2 and could not use them online......it failed at the last step and said I had to ring to finish the booking - unless I was just unlucky,
Darn, avios.com has a new look and the 'My Account' section doesn't show vouchers. Looks like it's ring up BA to book with their rigid correct application of the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.