Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrade on Award Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

After 5 more calls, no surcharges fees will be refunded. I have no more energy to fight BA. They lied to me and gave me the total run around. Beware.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by YULJetSet
After 5 more calls, no surcharges fees will be refunded. I have no more energy to fight BA. They lied to me and gave me the total run around. Beware.
‘how very irritating and disappointing. If you haven’t already done do I’d Suggest you send a quick direct message to the Twitter Team - explaining. They are often very effective when the phone is not. Good luck.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by DoctorCopper

I would suggest that GBP 100 to upgrade from WTP to CW for LHR-YVR-LHR was something of a bargain.

Doc Copper
Sorry, wasn't clear but this was for an UuA. The £100 was extra "taxes", i.e. Carrier imposed charges.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I know it happens but I'd be f....ing fuming if this happened to me.

That's all I have to offer!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
. I have no more energy to fight BA. They lied to me and gave me the total run around. Beware.
I think I may have that on my headstone.
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by hypercrypt
Sorry, wasn't clear but this was for an UuA. The £100 was extra "taxes", i.e. Carrier imposed charges.
I also paid £53 extra ( plus 24000 avios ) to upgrade from WTP to Club for a off peak London to Abu Dhabi this week so there must be an obligation from BA to refund this extra cost.

I suggest you check your invoice and look to take this further as there is an extra cost between the two classes in my opinion.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Double post sorry..
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:50 pm

I was recently downgraded on a long-haul Club World award ticket (to WTP). I was quickly refunded 75% of the avios points, but none of the taxes.
I didn’t realise this was automatic? Reading the EC261 thread gave the impression that you usually go through arbitration or MCOL and could claim the avios back at ~1.6p each. In this scenario it’s more or less as if you booked a WTP seat with Avios, which actually may have been worse value than paying with cash. Does this not risk BA avios bookings becoming “book into first then we’ll have a look when you get to the airport and see which class we fancy putting you in”?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite

I have a BA Avios redemption ticket flying on Cathay, BKK-HKG, later today.

Got an email last night to advise it’s changed from Premium Economy to Economy due to an aircraft change. Cathay phone agents said they can’t do the points / tax difference refund as it’s ticketed by BA.

If I call BA would they be aware of the downgrade, and would they refund the points / tax difference accordingly? Also, CX said they don’t have a specific policy about downgrades within 24 hours but to speak to the ground staff about this - if they offer any compensation at check in (which I doubt at an outstation but you never know!) does that affect getting the points and taxes difference back?

Thanks,

Hiren
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:25 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HarryKUK

I have a BA Avios redemption ticket flying on Cathay, BKK-HKG, later today.

Got an email last night to advise it’s changed from Premium Economy to Economy due to an aircraft change. Cathay phone agents said they can’t do the points / tax difference refund as it’s ticketed by BA.

If I call BA would they be aware of the downgrade, and would they refund the points / tax difference accordingly? Also, CX said they don’t have a specific policy about downgrades within 24 hours but to speak to the ground staff about this - if they offer any compensation at check in (which I doubt at an outstation but you never know!) does that affect getting the points and taxes difference back?

Thanks,

Hiren
yes if you speak to ba they will refund any avios difference and and difference in taxes/fees/charges. Any compensation given by CX direct to you won’t affect that refund.
HarryKUK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.