Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Next Revenue Generator - Pay for Status [speculation, not fact]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Next Revenue Generator - Pay for Status [speculation, not fact]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by ECR
Airberlin offered status via credit card spend but I assume it was part of a revenue raising exercise by a struggling airline. I have a vague recollection of BMI selling status towards the end, but I may have misremembered.

Amex used to offer Oneworld Sapphire status (via Cathay Pacific) with the platinum card with a £450 annual fee. If they still offered this I would not be spending money on flights to get BA status, and would instead spend my avios.

I think Iberia have a credit card with fee which offers Ruby status. I can't see BA following suit, but if they did I'm sure it would follow the Iberia model, i.e. offering Bronze which offers very little which will cost the airline, but maybe just enough to make people feel slightly important enough to drive loyalty towards the airline.
First year free, then 90€ fee. Only open for Spanish residents though
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:20 am

Whilst I don’t think this will happen with BA, I for one would be happy for it.

Virtually all my fligts have been paid for using Avios and therefore I never climbed up on the status level. If there was a premium credit card with a £400 - £500 annual fee that would also grant Silver status, I would probably bite.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I dread ‘revenue based’ as we always fly cheaply in J, and use a 241 every year which would hit revenue. Not sure how AA sectors might also bite, despite the JV. That might drive me away from BA.

Purchased status seems an alien concept to me, but if BA went down that road I would also review our options, as fairly infrequent-flying Golds. Cost would be highly pertinent.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver,
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
Whilst I don’t think this will happen with BA, I for one would be happy for it.

Virtually all my fligts have been paid for using Avios and therefore I never climbed up on the status level. If there was a premium credit card with a £400 - £500 annual fee that would also grant Silver status, I would probably bite.
It would cost a hell of a lot more than £500 thats for sure. I'm not sure you can get 600 tier points and 4 sectors for any less probably £800. Getting to £1 a TP is very difficult and to get 600 of them for less than that whilst also taking 4 flights on BA (ruling out the Malaysian Runs on their own) near impossible.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by ThrowingBoeing
It would cost a hell of a lot more than £500 thats for sure. I'm not sure you can get 600 tier points and 4 sectors for any less probably £800. Getting to £1 a TP is very difficult and to get 600 of them for less than that whilst also taking 4 flights on BA (ruling out the Malaysian Runs on their own) near impossible.
LH sells "fallen SEN" retention for EUR 1,500.00 from memory, if that's of any useful reference. Note that it's for retention, not qualification though.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by T8191
I dread ‘revenue based’ as we always fly cheaply in J, and use a 241 every year which would hit revenue. Not sure how AA sectors might also bite, despite the JV. That might drive me away from BA.

Purchased status seems an alien concept to me, but if BA went down that road I would also review our options, as fairly infrequent-flying Golds. Cost would be highly pertinent.
I suppose that's the risk one takes when 'manufacturing' status. One change, even a little one in the rules can affect your strategy dramatically. To be honest I'm more interested in getting from A-B in as comfortably and quickly a way as possible than getting status. If it earns me status then all well and good if not I wouldn't give a stuff.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Well BA did use to sell status by the way...

the original programme was invitation only (late 1970s).

This migrated to a programme with an annual subscription of either GBP 25 or GBP 50 (1980s), can't remember which...

and this, in turn, morphed into the current programme, which came into being whenever it did (1990s?), and introduced levels that were based on flying patterns, rather than membership granted or payments made.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
On AY you can exchange award points for tier points (plus a small fee) although this can only count towards maximum half of the tier points needed, you would have to earn the other half by flying. But since you can buy award points you can buy half your way to status.
ThrowingBoeing likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I suppose that's the risk one takes when 'manufacturing' status. One change, even a little one in the rules can affect your strategy dramatically. To be honest I'm more interested in getting from A-B in as comfortably and quickly a way as possible than getting status. If it earns me status then all well and good if not I wouldn't give a stuff.
‘Manufacturing’ is an interesting term, my non-flying cyber-mate, We do the flights, pay the cash (bar one) and earn what BA requires for Gold status. Is that somehow inappropriate??

I can understand your personal A-B perspective, but as slightly more frequent flyers you might appreciate we likewise derive the benefits on a fairly regular basis.

BTW, as a Scot, you never mentioned cheaply!
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
‘Manufacturing’ is an interesting term, my non-flying cyber-mate, We do the flights, pay the cash (bar one) and earn what BA requires for Gold status. Is that somehow inappropriate??

I can understand your personal A-B perspective, but as slightly more frequent flyers you might appreciate we likewise derive the benefits on a fairly regular basis.

BTW, as a Scot, you never mentioned cheaply!
^

If the BAEC changes things to your disadvantage then AA status may well suit you. I seem to recall when I joined the forum acquiring AA status was all the rage for those who enjoyed getting status cheaply. No idea why it went out of fashion though....did they move the goalposts?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
Well BA did use to sell status by the way...

the original programme was invitation only (late 1970s).
I think I remember (and I only think, I am not certain) that when I joined the Executive Club in 2006 you had to take a flexible World/Euro Traveller flight or travel in First, Club World/Europe or World Traveller Plus to even sign up. I checked in for my seat 14A overnight flight to DXB operated by G-YMMP on 31-Mar-06 and then signed up to the BAEC in the Terminal 4 Galleries Club before taking the flight. Happy days!
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I think I remember (and I only think, I am not certain) that when I joined the Executive Club in 2006 you had to take a flexible World/Euro Traveller flight or travel in First, Club World/Europe or World Traveller Plus to even sign up. I checked in for my seat 14A overnight flight to DXB operated by G-YMMP on 31-Mar-06 and then signed up to the BAEC in the Terminal 4 Galleries Club before taking the flight. Happy days!
Indeed....it wasn't until I found Flyertalk I saw how to get around that one. Sadly too many years too late for me with all the mile earning flights I had taken previously. Things have improved a hell of a lot since those ''good old days''.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Indeed, there did used to be a requirement to take at least one expensive flight to start your time in BAEC. I clearly remember discussing this with a friend sometime in the early 2000s, and it was a significant factor in keeping me on AA's programme where you could get top status by spending a posterior-numbing number of hours with your bum in an economy seat on cheap tickets only. At the time, my income was lower and my partner was more distant, so I spent a lot of time in economy long haul.

If you don't requalify for the lower status levels, AA will enthusiastically offer you the opportunity to buy it. Even now, as I am not quite at AA "Platinum Pro", they're offering me the chance to buy the status. They don't know I have a circuitous ex-EU flight coming up (on BA) for that (I'm aiming at AA EP, the only level really worth having).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.