Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Interesting Redemption to Galapagos Islands

Old Nov 10, 18, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond

So, I have just made two bookings :

1. MIA-GYE return on AA, which was 10,000 avios (Y) on the way there and 20,000 avios (J) on the way back plus 61.26 euro. Interestingly, if booked as 2 one ways, the GYE-MIA leg alone was pricing as 318 euro, so significantly more.

2. GYE-GPS/SCY-GYE for 15,000 avios and 79.70 euro. Although SCY wasn't recognised on the online search, it came up as an option once through to the select flights page.

I was/am very happy with the price and flights, but although I received a PNR for the 2nd flight, I never got a confirmation email. Although it doesnt appear in my upcoming bookings, when I search for it on find my booking, the flight is there, but without my FF number. When I try to add it it says I cant as my booking doesnt contain a one world flight. Furthermore, going onto LAN.com it says "pay now for your reserved flight" and doesnt allow any other options. Even the qantas site wont let me add my FF number.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?
Old Nov 10, 18, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
Yes. See this thread:
BA can't even get a LAN redemption booking right
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 18, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
Thank you for the link...It seems I have the same problem!
Old Nov 10, 18, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by englisha View Post
Thank you for the link...It seems I have the same problem!
I always believed that the problem was on the LATAM side in my experience.
Old Nov 10, 18, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
I always believed that the problem was on the LATAM side in my experience.
It sounded like a real nightmare...Im also travelling with my wife and 2 kids so prefer to sort it out earlier. At least i'm still within the 24 hour cooling off period, so i'll call BA in the morning and see what kind of response I get.
Old Nov 10, 18, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It sounded like a real nightmare...Im also travelling with my wife and 2 kids so prefer to sort it out earlier. At least i'm still within the 24 hour cooling off period, so i'll call BA in the morning and see what kind of response I get.
My experiences weren't nightmares; the LATAM website did display the same message as you received the entire time. LATAM phone reps were generally clueless until I found one that understood and had experienced the issue before and said there wasn't a problem with the website saying you still needed to pay.
Old Nov 10, 18, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

So, not wanting to wait, I called BA to have a look at this. I managed to get the LATAM PNR but not anything else helpful. It still shows as needing to be paid on LATAM. So, from the advice from the other thread, am I right in saying that I should call LATAM, give them the new PNR I was given and ask for seat selection then. Hopefully at that point, I will also be reassured that the ticket is valid.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Nov 10, 18, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Just to put some closure on this thread and to explain what happened :

I called LATAM and gave the new PNR. Initially I was told that it wasn't ticketed, but I then gave the representative the 125 ticket numbers. It took some time, but I believe he manually added these numbers to the PNR and now I can see the booking on latam's website. So all worked out well in the end.
Old Nov 10, 18, 8:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Accor Platinum, Marco Polo Gold
Whilst admittedly not relevant to your question, GYE is a pleasant airport (certainly by South American standards). The Holiday Inn is great and conviently located for an airport stop over.

Galapagos however isnít quite what the tour guides have made it out to be. An influx of mass tourism over recent years has left this place a victim of its own success! That said, nothing should be taken away from how amazing the wildlife is....

Old Nov 12, 18, 2:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Just to put some closure on this thread and to explain what happened :

I called LATAM and gave the new PNR. Initially I was told that it wasn't ticketed, but I then gave the representative the 125 ticket numbers. It took some time, but I believe he manually added these numbers to the PNR and now I can see the booking on latam's website. So all worked out well in the end.
I think that's a very useful bit of intel; knowing the failure mode appears to be that LATAM haven't linked the (external) ticket number to their internal booking reference makes it much easier to prompt with the 125- (or, I assume, 001- or other OneWorld) ticket number to cause them to sort it out.
englisha likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: