Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG Capital Markets Day 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Is that actually possible? (I don't know, but it seems unlikely). If Wikipedia is to believed then the A350 interior width is about 12cm more than the 787, and the 787 is already felt by many to be pretty cramped in its 9 across config and really more suited to 8 across.
Sadly, it is. Air Cariaibes operate their A350’s in 3-4-3. As do French blue I think.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by bmibaby737
Sadly, it is. Air Cariaibes operate their A350’s in 3-4-3. As do French blue I think.
Ye gods! (And that is from someone who cut their BA teeth down the back of a 788).
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:02 am

A350 just confirmed to have no first class.
Interesting and slightly unexpected -- I had assumed (at least) an 8-seat cabin given that this is a high-payload, long haul frame. Wouldn't surprise me if they fly it to destinations in rotation with the 77W. E.g. CX fly a mixture of J-only and J/F configurations to LHR and the arrangement seems to work quite well.

Originally Posted by cosmo74
does that mean they'll be flying it somewhere other than NYC, which usually seems to get the good stuff first?
I don't think the A350 was ever destined for East Coast TATL crossings. The 787-10 is probably the long-term successor to JFK.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
You probably read that myth on here.
Soon you will be saying BA is downsizing or removing F cabins due to some myth on FT too?

What you see as a myth is commercial reality I'm afraid. They have said it themselves. Mileage, cheap upgrades etc and a handful of full fare passengers are not what pays the bills.
AlicorporateUK and Oaxaca like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Is that actually possible? (I don't know, but it seems unlikely). If Wikipedia is to believed then the A350 interior width is about 12cm more than the 787, and the 787 is already felt by many to be pretty cramped in its 9 across config and really more suited to 8 across.

if they move to a 1-2-1 configuration in Club world and still want to have 50 ish seats (to replace the mid J 747’s) I think they’ll have to ditch F to find the space.

I do hope BA don’t go down the route of a 10 abreast A350 though!
Originally Posted by BA6948

i bet money it is going to be 10 abreast
IB is fitting its A350 with 3-3-3 so BA will almost sure go for 3-3-3

IAG wants to have maximum compatibility for the future. If one day demand is weak in UK, you send some spare planes to IB and they can operate them almost the next day. Same in the opposite direction.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by simons1
Probably makes sense... .I thought I read somewhere that the vast majority of travellers in F were non rev, mileage, cheap upgrades or general hangers-on.

Perhaps BA has worked out things are more profitable without.
Pretty much one of the main value propositions of BAEC today for me is buying CW tickets but often finding my way into F through the use of jokers, standard avios/GUF, or op-ups. The aspiration of something a bit better is what keeps a lot of people motivated towards focusing their efforts on a single airline or group.

I'm also still annoyed that IAG thinks that Aer Lingus should even earn BAEC tier points (I would be fine with that if they don't want to join One World). Aer Lingus has a reasonable business class cabin but without offering tier point opportunities, it means I pretty much never fly them.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:42 am

Assuming it stays 3-3-3, Hopefully they also develop a seat that gives WT passengers the benefit of that extra few cms, rather than lifting the current one from the 787, which is presumably the cheaper thing to do? As a broad shouldered person, with nothing against economy in certain situations, this is what has rendered the 787 WT useless to me.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Willie Walsh just said that he believes Qatar will be leaving OW.
msm2000uk and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by frandrake
Thanks for sharing this, very interestring. Good to see improvements are coming, although at a slower pace I wanted them to (especially the new CW seat...).

surprised to see no explicit mention to lounge improvements at LHR, I think T5 needs some serious (albeit not radical) improvement.
Yes the loo's in GF are like a 3rd world experience....
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by tedcruz
Willie Walsh just said that he believes Qatar will be leaving OW.
Nothing new.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Originally Posted by florens

Nothing new.
Thought it was a threat.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:01 am

Does everyone below board level feel better now that they are “colleagues”, rather than employees?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by dylanks
Pretty much one of the main value propositions of BAEC today for me is buying CW tickets but often finding my way into F through the use of jokers, standard avios/GUF, or op-ups. The aspiration of something a bit better is what keeps a lot of people motivated towards focusing their efforts on a single airline or group.
Same here, the value I place on avios is based on the ability to redeem them for F trips. If F goes away, BAEC might need some restructuring to keep me incentivised to fly BA.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by simons1
What you see as a myth is commercial reality I'm afraid. They have said it themselves. Mileage, cheap upgrades etc and a handful of full fare passengers are not what pays the bills.
Nevertheless, stand by for the inevitable wave of complaints on FT about that evil BA making it increasingly difficult to get award seats in F.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC
IF the new CW seat was a Q-Suite-esque variant on the A350 and put in behind the current F cabin product, I imagine no one would want (should they realise) to be sat in F with a Qsuite type product in the business cabin. So this maybe a tact to avoid damaging F, so go for no F and 3 class config with an awesome suite/product in CW!

Or as others have suggested it could simply be put in more CW new seats in to ensure best ROI, even if its not a Qsuite-esque type product. Therefore keep some aircraft with F cabins and current newish refurbed CW seat/IFE cabin layout/product together , like the super high J's and the refitted LGW 777's.

We have a while to wait and endless posts of debate before we all really know.

P.S Virgin Atlantic have announced that there will be a new seat for their A350's next year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.