Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tallinn Dropped

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
To be fair, I'd much rather do my TP runs to MLA, RAK or CTA and enjoy some sunshine, than fly for 3 hours to spend the weekend in the cold, wet Nordics.

Nobody actually flies to TLL or HEL for the destination, do they?!
Well, some of us do when returning home
nordic, klmml and groenroos like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
they couldn't get much USA-TLL trade, or such that exists.
"Tallinn? I'm not going to AFRICA! Let's just go to London," says the stereotypical American (probably).
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
I did actually take the BA Tallinn flight for the destination in summer 2017 - but as someone has observed, one visit is enough to see everything interesting, and the place is made hideous by cruise ship hordes. So when I do a TP + tourism run to HEL next summer I won't bother to take the ferry across.
Doing TP runs to MLA, RAK and CTA in the next few months!

Last edited by Travelling Inspector; Nov 1, 2018 at 12:36 pm Reason: Add information
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:38 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

Have you actually been to Tallin?- I rather enjoyed it and am glad that I went when it was a direct route. I'm sure that a lot of people who actually live there could be rather hurt by that statement. I'd not go in winter, and I too prefer the summer months as I long the almost endless days. I'd actually like to spend some days and see the more rural side of Finland.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Would like to see VNO replace it.
SherlockHerbert and tedcruz like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Have you actually been to Tallin?
I have - twice in fact. Once on a day trip from HEL in May and once for 3 nights in its own right in August (flying via HEL, obviously).

Indeed, the old town is a nice place to explore on a sunny day, but lots of cruise ship crowds around. And you can't deny that the weather is a bit cool and often wet, even in the summer. The beach is bleak (although hopefully nobody goes for the beach).

​​​​​​Whereas rural towns in southern Italy are also characterful and charming, but about 20 degrees warmer!
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA G; AY Basic; HHonors G; Marriott S
We folks in HEL (and probably TLL) are horrified with all the tourist crowds from Asia (brought by AY) and old-Europe - so it is just great that capacity is lowered.

And those TP runners. OMG. Invading our lounges.
salut0 and toothy like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:06 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I have - twice in fact. Once on a day trip from HEL in May and once for 3 nights in its own right in August (flying via HEL, obviously).

Indeed, the old town is a nice place to explore on a sunny day, but lots of cruise ship crowds around. And you can't deny that the weather is a bit cool and often wet, even in the summer. The beach is bleak (although hopefully nobody goes for the beach).

​​​​​​Whereas rural towns in southern Italy are also characterful and charming, but about 20 degrees warmer!
We went for a long weekend last year. We did not go via HEL as my husband would have gone ballistic having to change if there were a direct flight, and whilst I am much more minded to extract extra TPs, I never make changes unless there is no direct service.

I do agree with you about the weather. It rained for quite a bit on our trip, but the first day going into town was delightfully bright and sunny (June). We had looked at the forecast and had planned the museum stuff for less clement days. I also liked the fact that the airport is really quite close to the town and though there was no lounge the place was deserted. I never went near the beach, it was far too cool for that. What I can say is that we were most cordially welcomed and found the people friendly and agreeable. I adore southern Italy but especially Sicily. I first diecovered it when we operated charters down there in 1-11s and had - depending on loads - to make a stop in Nice for refuelling because of the runway length. We stayed an extra three nights because Etna kicked off and the wind affected visibility so the flight could not leave. I do recall that we had to take local catering as all the stuff from LGW had to be dumped. I could not help thinking how much better it was than our usual offerings!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:07 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
To be fair, I'd much rather do my TP runs to MLA, RAK or CTA and enjoy some sunshine, than fly for 3 hours to spend the weekend in the cold, wet Nordics.

We have actually been to HEL (for 3-4 day breaks on each occasion) 3 times over the past 2 years. Going again next month for the Christmas market- it's a lovely city- not too large and very manageable with children. Excellent public transportation, boats to the islands and a great buzzing harbour front with food stalls etc.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:17 pm
Suspended

I think Air Baltic are starting a service from LGW to TLL, BA place their code on Air Baltic’s flights from LGW to Riga, not sure if the TLL flights will get a BA code.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:32 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Tallin suspension - Customer Guidelines

Summary
British Airways has announced the suspension of London (LHR) to Tallinn (TLL) services, the last flight will depart on Friday 29 March 2019.

The following guidelines are available to assist any customers affected by this suspension.

More information
Route affected: LHR - TLL (Tallinn)
Tickets issued by: 30 October 2018
Ticket travel dates: 2 April 2019 onwards

Rebook onto British Airway: Use standard customer guidelines

• Rebooking Allowance onto other airlines 1
Rebook onto SAS (SK) operated services between TLL (Tallinn) and STO (Stockholm) or v.v. as close to the original travel date as possible but not earlier than 2 April 2019.

Rebook only using the following classes: Business - C, D, Z, I & Economy - E, M, H, Q, V, W, U, K, L, T, O, G, X, N
Must add OS SK INVOL AGMT BA/SK

Then book a connecting flight on a British Airways operated service between STO and LHR or vice versa. Rebook into the same class as original or lowest available in the same cabin

• Rebooking Allowance onto other airlines 2
Rebook onto SAS (SK) operated services between TLL (Tallinn) and CPH (Copenhagen) or v.v. as close to the original travel date as possible but not earlier than 2 April 2019 and not between 24 July - 18 August 2019.

Rebook only using the following classes: Business - C, D, Z, I & Economy - E, M, H, Q, V, W, U, K, L, T, O, G, X, N
Must add OS SK INVOL AGMT BA/SK

Then book a connecting flight on a British Airways operated service between CPH and LHR or vice versa. Rebook into the same class as original or lowest available in the same cabin

Origin/Destination/Stopover changes
Yes - As per standard customer guidelines

Refunds Allowed
Yes - as per standard customer guidelines

Redemptions included
Yes

Important Information
One involuntary ticket change allowed from the above options. Adherence to commercial policies/conditions of carriage guidelines remains entirely the responsibility of the user. BA reserves the right to withdraw guidelines at any time
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Jed

We have actually been to HEL (for 3-4 day breaks on each occasion) 3 times over the past 2 years. Going again next month for the Christmas market- it's a lovely city- not too large and very manageable with children. Excellent public transportation, boats to the islands and a great buzzing harbour front with food stalls etc.
I did the Helsinki Xmas market last December whilst on a few hour layover on a run to Tallinn. Chilly and got a lot chillier in the evening which made it less desirable to be wandering about outside.

The problem is that Tallinn isn't Helsinki. It's not in the same country either even if there are numerous similarities.
Yes, it's a 15-20 minute flight away or a short ferry ride, but outside of Tallinn, there really isn't anything major, at least in the guide books.
The country is still getting on it's feet and has only really had it's own identity for the last 2-3 decades.
I can't really say what the level of English is outside of Tallinn and unless you speak Finnish or suchlike, I would put odds on you having issues outside of the two main cities.

Unfortunately, Tallinn is seen as a stopover point rather than a destination. In time, this may change, but for the time being, Tallinn and Estonia provide a very limited arena within Europe.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
The problem is that Tallinn isn't Helsinki. It's not in the same country either even if there are numerous similarities.
Yes, it's a 15-20 minute flight away or a short ferry ride, but outside of Tallinn, there really isn't anything major, at least in the guide books.
The country is still getting on it's feet and has only really had it's own identity for the last 2-3 decades.
I can't really say what the level of English is outside of Tallinn and unless you speak Finnish or suchlike, I would put odds on you having issues outside of the two main cities.

Unfortunately, Tallinn is seen as a stopover point rather than a destination. In time, this may change, but for the time being, Tallinn and Estonia provide a very limited arena within Europe.
To be fair, (and I realise this sounds a bit of a contrast to my earlier post), I had a great 10 day trip earlier this year driving 1,600km around rural Latvia and Lithuania, which are probably less developed than Estonia. A very interesting experience, and didn't really have any language problems anywhere. So if you have the time, I'm sure the rest of Estonia is lovely too.

However, my TP runs are normally 1 or 2 nights at the most, so not much time to get into proper back-country. Also nice to get a few days away from the London autumn/winter weather.
florens likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:29 pm
bil

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Really disappointing to see another route suspension from BA and imho quite an interesting route which I had on my future radar.

So BA have now suspended LHR-BIO, MAH, MJV, TLL and TRN and have converted PMI and PMO to seasonal services. This is in addition to the axing of PSA, VLC and BCN from LGW. It seems BA are scaling back their short haul route network.
LHR-BIO has been suspended?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by bil
LHR-BIO has been suspended?
It's transferred to LGW.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...twork-changes/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.