Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: T8191
This thread relates to SPG Law's proposed Group Proceedings against British Airways, in respect of the Data Protection Act 2018 (which incorporates the GDPR).
There is a separate thread that relates to the actual data breaches and their implications for customers, which is to be found here: BA Investigating Theft of Personal and Financial Data

The one law firm that currently seems to be persuing a Class Action against BA is SPG. They have a specific site set up at https://www.badatabreach.com/ - please make sure you check all the FAQs and terms and conditions and make sure the Class Action is right for you before you sign up.

* SPG is now PGMBM.
* Payments are being made through Shieldpay, who are seeming to be both lethargic and/or inept.
Print Wikipost

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by LimaWhiskey
I’ve repeatedly tried to get a response from ShieldPay for the last week. Nothing.
Same here. And PGMBM too. Starting to wonder if they’re still a going concern.
Haven't heard from Shieldpay since Sept 17th (the day Mikal there said I’d receive payment “today”).
Haven’t heard from PGMBM since Sept 29th (the day Ian there said he’d see what’s going on).
I’ve since given up and reported Shieldpay to the ombudsman service.
LimaWhiskey likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by kc1174
Same here. And PGMBM too. Starting to wonder if they’re still a going concern.
Haven't heard from Shieldpay since Sept 17th (the day Mikal there said I’d receive payment “today”).
Haven’t heard from PGMBM since Sept 29th (the day Ian there said he’d see what’s going on).
I’ve since given up and reported Shieldpay to the ombudsman service.
I filed a complaint with the ombudsman as well.
kc1174 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 8:37 am

I’ve repeatedly tried to get a response from ShieldPay for the last week. Nothing.
I spammed them by sending several inquiries through their support as well as "new client inquiry" contact forms then they replied next day saying I'm in their next payment batch
kc1174 and SxMan like this.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
I spammed them by sending several inquiries through their support as well as "new client inquiry" contact forms then they replied next day saying I'm in their next payment batch
I guess, to be fair [did I really say that?] they mush have a huge workload. How many claimants are they having to validate payment for?

That said, there have been so many inconsistencies mentioned upthread (resubmit Bank data, etc) that suggest to me they’re still somewhat overwhelmed.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
I guess, to be fair [did I really say that?] they mush have a huge workload. How many claimants are they having to validate payment for?

That said, there have been so many inconsistencies mentioned upthread (resubmit Bank data, etc) that suggest to me they’re still somewhat overwhelmed.
True, but they shouldn’t have put in writing that they’d validate details and request additional info if needed within 7 days and make payment within 21 days if they didn’t think they would be able to do it.
My assumption is that’s what is in the contract they signed with PGMBM to provide this service - a generic 4 week window.
The whole “we process as PGMBM provide your info” is nonsense since PGMBM provided Shieldpay with our information on or before Aug 17th. Otherwise - how would Shieldpay have known to email us?
PGMBM obviously went with the lowest bidder with this payment service.
They’re very responsive when you post a bad review. Mine is up on Trustpilot. I included the first name of the person who told me on Sept 17th that I would receive payment that day. Within half an hour or so of posting the review, I received an email that Shieldpay objected to my review and to remove personal information. So I removed the first name and instead replaced it with her exact title so anyone with Google can see exactly who it is. LinkedIn is a wonderful thing.
T8191 and LimaWhiskey like this.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by T8191

Shieldpay took a job they were completely unprepared and unqualified for.

PGMBM must really be sharks though. They absolutely do not care about the delays.
kc1174 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 8:47 pm

So I removed the first name and instead replaced it with her exact title so anyone with Google can see exactly who it is. LinkedIn is a wonderful thing.
She doesn’t want her name showing up in a Google search
Old Oct 21, 2021, 11:17 pm

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
I has my money a good while ago now. Must have been one of the first
Old Oct 22, 2021, 10:35 am

She doesn’t want her name showing up in a Google search
Yep, but that was a first name. Now with her full title, people can google that and see the full name.

So anyway, guess what I received this morning?
A follow up email saying they asked for my swift code (intl sort code) on Sept 17th and that I hadn’t sent it. Sent it on 8/17 in the original form, again on 9/17 when she asked for it again, followed up later that day to confirm receipt, sent it again, forwarded all the emails to the ombudsman’s service too.
As an FYI, this morning at around the same time, I heard from the ombudsman service too. My guess is they contacted Shieldpay and now Shieldpay are playing ignorant claiming I didn’t send them something. Fortunately I have the emails showing I did (along with screenshots of the original form). Sent her email back to them too.
LimaWhiskey likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 6:10 pm

How long did it take the Ombudsman to reply to you? I haven’t heard back from them yet.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 3:34 am

mikal is alive and active

Sent EUR Account information 17. august

18. October - mikal informed about a failed transaction.

Sent GBP account statement on the same day fearing another longish wait for a reply.

22. October surprised to have received the money
kc1174 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 4:18 am

How long did it take the Ombudsman to reply to you? I haven’t heard back from them yet.
I submitted the complaint on the 14th and heard back on Friday 22nd. They just asked for some more information as I think I ticked the wrong box on the complaint form.

Originally Posted by ctrlf
mikal is alive and active

Sent EUR Account information 17. august

18. October - mikal informed about a failed transaction.

Sent GBP account statement on the same day fearing another longish wait for a reply.

22. October surprised to have received the money
Nice!
I’m beginning to wonder if everyone there is called Mikal now. It was Shivani at first.
LimaWhiskey likes this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Oct 24, 2021 at 7:42 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 24, 2021, 7:37 pm

Nice!
I’m beginning to wonder if everyone there is called Mikal now. It was Shivani at first.
Mikal responded to my initial email in August. It was a copy paste job, where she told me to read the FAQ.

That was the one and only response I ever got from Shield Pay.
kc1174 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by zzz222
I did yes, and finally received the payment last Thursday or Friday.
Would you mind share who you bank with? I'm in the US and provided them with my Charles Schwab banking info.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 12:45 pm

Has anyone received payment or seen any progress?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.