Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: T8191
This thread relates to SPG Law's proposed Group Proceedings against British Airways, in respect of the Data Protection Act 2018 (which incorporates the GDPR).
There is a separate thread that relates to the actual data breaches and their implications for customers, which is to be found here: BA Investigating Theft of Personal and Financial Data

The one law firm that currently seems to be persuing a Class Action against BA is SPG. They have a specific site set up at https://www.badatabreach.com/ - please make sure you check all the FAQs and terms and conditions and make sure the Class Action is right for you before you sign up.

* SPG is now PGMBM.
* Payments are being made through Shieldpay, who are seeming to be both lethargic and/or inept.
Print Wikipost

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2021, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by labdoctor
There's a certain blogger who hasn't cast himself in great glory over this. Writing sneering articles and falsely accusing followers of disclosing their settlement figures....
OMG, you should cancel your membership to said blogsite and get your membership fees back...
dougzz likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 7:03 am

Programs: Accor Silver, HHonours Silver, Carlson Gold, BA Blue
This thread seems to be getting quite 'tit for tat', now that settlement has been reached should the thread be marked as 'Closed'?
T8191 and Alan T like this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 7:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by babyg_wc
OMG, you should cancel your membership to said blogsite and get your membership fees back...
In fairness he did delete some posts... Without posting an apology. Although he's openly advertised that many supposed readers have flouted the conditions of the settlement by forwarding their settlement letters to him...
86BA7 and holloway1000 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 8:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold Amb.
Originally Posted by flipper118
This thread seems to be getting quite 'tit for tat', now that settlement has been reached should the thread be marked as 'Closed'?
Hopefully not until payment is made. Its useful to know when others have had emails and such like, given how much seems to have gone to spam folders.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by flipper118
Tend to agree. Personally, I’m bored with the largely irrelevant post (BTW, I’m Gold, Cat 1) and just waiting to see who’s first amidst the dribbling to breach the Confidentiality Agreement (as some are trying to do).

Originally Posted by holloway1000
Hopefully not until payment is made. Its useful to know when others have had emails and such like, given how much seems to have gone to spam folders.
Those who don’t check/flag their Spam folders have only themselves to blame. Email has been around before some here were born! 😎
I guess we have to wait until every claimant has posted “I’ve had the email, have you?”

Last edited by T8191; Aug 14, 2021 at 1:23 pm
Old Aug 14, 2021, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Surely the solution, if you're bored with a thread, is to not click on it as then it won't bore you any more?

I've been around at least as long as email, though not so long that I don't understand it, but still miss things in my spam - having a resource here to cross reference with is both valuable and reassuring that I haven't missed something.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by HIDDY
What percentage of claimants on here actually had any data stolen?
If your data was compromised you do not know what may happen to it. If your name, address, particularly if you have lived in the same place for years and have no plan to move and your date of birth are out there, something could jump up at any point in the future and cause you a lot of trouble. There may be far worse to come than has already happened.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by zzz222
Surely the solution, if you're bored with a thread, is to not click on it as then it won't bore you any more?
Oh, of course that option exists. I subscribe to this thread because I have a personal interest, as do many others. It’s the background noise that’s starting to irritate me. Frequent alerts anout … nothing!

As Thumper’s mother said, “If you can say anything nice, don’t say anything at all” 😀
Old Aug 14, 2021, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Oh, of course that option exists. I subscribe to this thread because I have a personal interest, as do many others. It’s the background noise that’s starting to irritate me. Frequent alerts anout … nothing!

As Thumper’s mother said, “If you can say anything nice, don’t say anything at all” 😀
It doesn't really work for a web forum though where the whole point is to create noise. I too found great sensitivity in a particular thread last year where people in general were being anything other than sensitive. My advice would be to unsubscribe from the thread so that the notifications go unnoticed and dip back in to it when you feel your patience can take it.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
If only certain bloggers had the same courtesy and stuck to writing the truth rather than fiction...
spursdebs likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 1:00 am

Has anyone got the Shieldpay link yet?
Old Aug 16, 2021, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by MiraculousM
Has anyone got the Shieldpay link yet?
Still waiting for mine.
MiraculousM, 86BA7 and NL86 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 2:33 am

Yes, I got it a couple of days ago.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by ermis177
We don’t know and we will never do. Hackers had access to thousands of profiles for weeks. Also someone’s details might be sold online after years. Or they might be compromised after years. Really poor incident for BA and their reaction was appalling.
The reaction was forced by GPDR legislation which puts BA directly on the hook for a percentage of turnover. They simply were not able to react in anything more than a completely defensive way, because anything giving a hint of liability puts them in the line of fire for a big fine. And having had a fairly chunky fine imposed, they're hardly going to exceed that with an even more chunky settlement to consumers.

GDPR is really an appalling piece of legislation. It's framed essentially as a tech tax against big internet concerns, and doesn't benefit consumers in the slightest because the fines go to the state, they don't go to pay compensation to people affected. So any indirect or direct goodwill payments to individuals have to be limited to reduce overall costs of settlement and implied liability. Privacy laws are great, all for that, but the state cash grab framework really is a problem. I don't think people really understand just how damaging this piece of legislation is to their interests, and how dishonestly it's been set up by its architects.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by bisonrav
The reaction was forced by GPDR legislation which puts BA directly on the hook for a percentage of turnover. They simply were not able to react in anything more than a completely defensive way, because anything giving a hint of liability puts them in the line of fire for a big fine. And having had a fairly chunky fine imposed, they're hardly going to exceed that with an even more chunky settlement to consumers.

GDPR is really an appalling piece of legislation. It's framed essentially as a tech tax against big internet concerns, and doesn't benefit consumers in the slightest because the fines go to the state, they don't go to pay compensation to people affected. So any indirect or direct goodwill payments to individuals have to be limited to reduce overall costs of settlement and implied liability. Privacy laws are great, all for that, but the state cash grab framework really is a problem. I don't think people really understand just how damaging this piece of legislation is to their interests, and how dishonestly it's been set up by its architects.
O/T it's based on the same principles used for competition law/antitrust. and the penalties enforceable are the same. The financial penalties imposed by the State act as a deterrence to ensure companies do not act in a way that will harm competition/privacy (and once penalties have been imposed they will ultimately go back into the regulators' coffers to fund more investigations which acts as further deterrence), while consumers are able to bring damages actions if they have been affected.

Once the infringement/breach has been found to have occurred by the regulator, liability is not implied - it is real and exists so all the consumer/third party then has to show is that they were affected (causation) and by how much (quantum). Settlement occurs largely because the parties are negotiating the quantum and don't want to take it to court - the payments are not "goodwill", they are to compensate damage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.