Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA in Y was actually not bad!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Bret Vreeland
I'm glad I found this thread. Asking for some advice from all you seasoned pros, as I only fly domestically. I'm trying to determine best way to fly to LHR from SEA in end of Jan 2019. There are great fares right now for Y class. IcelandAir is $350 or BA is $500. I won't get miles with IA, but will get minimal (25%?) with BA. I've never flown either. Opinions if you were in my position.
Icelandair: smaller narrowbody aircraft (Boeing 757), small seat with 33" pitch, zombie-hour layover / transfer in overburdened Keflavik airport, trip time of 12h 10m.

BA: larger widebody aircraft (Boeing 747 or 777), small seat with 31" pitch, nonstop flight, trip time of 9h 10m.
Bret Vreeland likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:13 pm

I also think that BA in World Traveller cabin is fine.
A decent long haul journey from LHR to HKG with A380 upper deck, or Boeing 777

However, the BA Euro Traveller is not good enough.
I travelled from BRU to LHR, even though it is only a 45 mins journey, but the experience is not good.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I just lived through AA LHR-LAX in Y.

Seat 20J on a 777-300 so just the one seatmate.

Not too bad comfort wise. Plenty of windows overlooking the wing.
Power socket and USB port.
Cabin in darkness most of the time as everyone shut the shades even though it was light.

Didn't bother eating but first meal that was offered within an hour after a drinks run and pretzel run.
Seemed to consist of some pasta, and the usual salad etc bits.
Snacks on offer in the galley.
Ice cream tubs brought around half way through
Perhaps another drinks run.
Snack an hour or so before landing was a veggie or non-veggie pizza thing in a box.

PE was wide open wide no curtain separation at all and looked like an afterthought rather than some more exclusive cabin. Few empty seats as well so possibly upgrades or just not sold.

Looking into PE

Business had a curtain separating them from PE but only a couple of people passed through it to use the toilets, one either side of it and on both sides of the plane.

They got a more substantial second meal in china ware instead of the pizza thing, but it looked a bit like a salad etc. rather than something hot.

Major issue was that the air was very dry.
Maybe an hour before landing, the air con got turned on and it became chillier. Can't say if the whole plane or more localised.

As with BA most of the time, zero crew interest outside of their runs.

10 mile walk from the gate up and down various stairs and what seemed to be outside to get to the Global Entry kiosks and then back through flight connections.

Not sure if unlucky gate wise with the above, but it was definitely way way further than any time I've flown in with BA.
Comparing them, the MCE seat was better than the standard BA seat, even the exit rows.
Food wise, looked to be much the same.
Soft drinks are better on AA though.
Crew, BA has the edge but little difference bar age, and can I say girth? on most flights.
T3 lounges made a nice change from T5 although the salt & pepper squid in the QF lounge is awful compared to LAX.

Last edited by xenole; Oct 24, 2018 at 12:24 am
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Recently flew BA economy on a 787 for a daytime flight and it wasn't bad at all - arrived feeling pretty refreshed and cabin crew took good care of me (not sure if due to status or just good service). My two experiences in BA economy on the rickety, ear-bleed inducing old 747s were much less positive though. Most of the same problems exist if you're in business/business plus (BA first isn't really first) on the 747, but having more attentive crew, noise cancelling headphones and some personal space/privacy do help to soften the experience.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by xenole
I just lived through AA LHR-LAX in Y.

Seat 20J on a 777-300 so just the one seatmate.

Not too bad comfort wise. Plenty of windows overlooking the wing.
Power socket and USB port.
Cabin in darkness most of the time as everyone shut the shades even though it was light.

Didn't bother eating but first meal that was offered within an hour after a drinks run and pretzel run.
Seemed to consist of some pasta, and the usual salad etc bits.
Snacks on offer in the galley.
Ice cream tubs brought around half way through
Perhaps another drinks run.
Snack an hour or so before landing was a veggie or non-veggie pizza thing in a box.

PE was wide open wide no curtain separation at all and looked like an afterthought rather than some more exclusive cabin. Few empty seats as well so possibly upgrades or just not sold.
I flew AA out to Miami last Friday. Overall, I find the seats probably on par with the newer WT and streaks ahead of the older one. I find the AA wide body planes tend to look more pleasant on the eye, and they're cleaner too. To be honest, it makes me think how on earth BA still gets away with running a pretty much untouched seating product for going on 20 years. No at seat power is ridiculous in 2018 for some of those longer hauls. Food much better on BA. AAs offering was verging on inedible and I'm not a fussy eater. Also to offer meatballs or cheesy pasta followed by two rounds of ice cream and then a second meal of pepperoni pizza whilst sitting in the same seat for 10 hours is ridiculous. I'm pretty health conscious and I found that completely unappealing.

I think one stark difference is the crew. BA wins every time for me. I find the AA crews very informal (this is in Y as I have only ever flown AA long haul Y), occasionally bordering on unprofessional. Whereas they mostly all seem friendly enough, Friday was a good example of this. A CC member will wave down sets of aisles to take out your earphones, announce loudly what the two options are and then abruptly throw your food down in front of you. I find everything is done at a very fast/rushed pace and all the cabin crew seem entirely occupied to get everything done incredibly quickly so they can rest. The guy next to me was having trouble with his wifi just after the meal service, so he rang the call bell. The CC member came over, 'do you want something?'. Proceeded to tell this guy that the wifi actually was working because 'One of the other flight attendants in the back is doing some furniture shopping on her phone' and was absolutely no help to him whatsoever.

The landing sequence was almost comical. Around 30 minutes to go without any prior announcement, the captain came on to declare, 'Flight attendants prepare the cabin for arrival'. To which followed an announcement that the crew would be through to collect any 'trash'. Not only did this not happen once at all, there wasn't even a check for seatbelts. I literally did not see one crew member. I found this odd and realised that we were getting quite close to the ground. At which point I noticed that all CC were strapped into their seats. That would never happen on BA.

I find BA crew in comparison in Y almost consistently very good. Professional, friendly but relaxed too. They're not always trying to complete everything at 100mph and seem to maintain high standards. Wonder if others agree?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
No seatbelt checks on my flight.
Only slight action from the crew was from one sitting in the jumpseat at the front of PE who shouted at the man in 20a who immediately stood up to open the overhead bin when the wheels touched.

AA crews do love their gossiping, Candy Crush etc. at the expense of passengers.
I stretched my legs and walked back to the rear gallery and got some "... do you want?" looks.

BA crews are generally stiff but at least some do chat a little bit more.
That said, I've had good and bad crews on both, regardless of cabin, and only ever had one time on each where they were a credit to the airline.

The fast pace for food works for me. Hate it on BA, especially the A380 at night, where your trays are still there an hour or two after the meal service started and you can't settle.
Brisbane Road likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:43 am

Duplicate post deleted.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by xenole
No seatbelt checks on my flight.
Only slight action from the crew was from one sitting in the jumpseat at the front of PE who shouted at the man in 20a who immediately stood up to open the overhead bin when the wheels touched.

AA crews do love their gossiping, Candy Crush etc. at the expense of passengers.
I stretched my legs and walked back to the rear gallery and got some "... do you want?" looks.

BA crews are generally stiff but at least some do chat a little bit more.
That said, I've had good and bad crews on both, regardless of cabin, and only ever had one time on each where they were a credit to the airline.

The fast pace for food works for me. Hate it on BA, especially the A380 at night, where your trays are still there an hour or two after the meal service started and you can't settle.
All the above on AA I agree with and reflects my post. I would say I find that the BA crews are generally far superior though and I've had plenty of flights that attest to that. Also fair point made on the fast pace of things. Even though it feels ridiculously rushed, I had my traytable cleared completely an hour into the flight. You'd be lucky if you're even served your main meal on BA by then. I deliberately do not eat on overnight flights on BA for this exact reason and always eat something substantial before.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
I've just done the 289 to PHX in Y and am wide awake now at 3.30am local time. Yesterday's 291 (the 12:15 to PHX) was canned and as a result my flight was completely full. I did have 39K (bulkhead window, second cabin) which was fine for me. The cabin crew was super on this flight, I even saw the CSD wheeling the trolleys down the back during the initial dinner service. ​​​First hint of a good (or great) crew is when the crew address you by name in Y as they look at your boarding pass and enthusiastically welcome you aboard, and then you hear the cheery, jovial voice of the CSD on the PA announcing that it is a fully loaded flight and apologising to pax who were booked on the earlier 291 who got seat shifted.

Flight was delayed by just over an hour as a ceiling panel had fallen down in one of the cabins and an engineer had to fix it. Even after all this the crew was stellar throughout. I had the same chicken tikka masala that was served on my JFK flight 3 weeks ago, with the addition of a Graze vegetable crunch box. Mini Magnums were handed out mid-flight and I noticed several juice runs were done by the crew in between meals when I wasn't napping. Pre arrival meal was a tiny box of cold pasta, a Monty's chicken wrap (I never eat this) and a flapjack.

​​​​​​Yes, the cabin and IFE is ancient but the seats were fine, still well padded and clean! I did several walks around the Y cabin from the front row (29) all the way down to the back and it was a completely full flight. I was onboard for just over 12hrs in total (including the delay) and it really was the crew who made it manageable. I made sure to tell the CSD to thank his crew when I disembarked. All in all the flight was just fine given how full it was.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
bisonrav you are Ohhh.... so right... in this world of control.... thats the one thing that really pxsses me off ... a neighbour asserting dominance over the armrest and consequently me! After 25 years in uniform (back in the day) Ive had enough of control ! Youve just reminded me of what I dont like on a 14 hr plus flight.. so thats it then...... bugger the mortgage its BA J out and F back Prg Syd over xmas. Shall give those nice people at Propellor a mail shortly. Thanks for reminding me that lifes too short ..... PJs anyone?

OF
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Now at YYZ for the 787 return in Y
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by frandrake
I think it all depends on how much flying you do. 90-95% of the world does not fly every month once or twice long haul. If you do, then a lie flat bed will make a HUGE difference.

Years ago due to travel policy and my seniority level I had to travel from Europe to Taiwan in Y every quarter. It was frankly unhealthy and utterly uncomfortable. Now I always travel J in long haul and I can indeed feel the difference.
I'm thinking of quitting my job because I have to do Spain US about once every 3 weeks in Y. Status helps, but it would be completely different with a lie flat.
frandrake likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
My one long-haul trip in BA Y (NBO-LHR earlier this year) was a disappointment.

Cabin crew were nice but food was meh. The 747 seemed old and tired as well, and the IFE (and food, for that matter) was not as good as on other airlines I’ve flown in long-haul Y this year (AA, DL, KL, AF).
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Lol they were calling group 4 for boarding and I am so low down the boarding tier that I don’t even know my group number so I walked up to the boarding ppl and was like what’s the lowest group number because obviously I’m the lowest and they said number 5. Doesn’t matter as I always like boarding last anyway let everyone run and fight onto the plane, my seat is waiting for me
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
In 10 days i've got my first BA Longhaul flight in Y in 31 years (I deem longhaul as anything longer than US East Coast!) - which was also my first flight (well, the return was I suppose) I'm off to SIN - as I was then.

Yet I travel to Asia 3-6 times a year, and can normally pick my carrier (60% of the time it's Y). I've used a ridiculous amount of airlines (SQ, MH & EK are my goto carriers). And yet I use BA a dozen times or so a year shorthaul, so consider myself loyal, but, just never longhaul. Price, comfort, and knowing I can get emergency exits on Middle Eastern and Asian carriers.

I'm actually almost excited! Does help i'm on the A380, and have shelled out £75 for an emergency exit (i'm 6ft6). This forum really does it's best to temper any expectations (which are rock bottom). I don't read the F / C Trip Reviews, but might knock one up for this as, of course, most people travel in Y, so it might be more helpful... (also i've got a bunch of flights around Asia including seaplanes) so will be interesting. I'm feeling positive as the staff have been amazing in my 100+ BA shorthaul flights, fully expect that to carry over into longhaul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.