Wiki Posts
Search

BA in Y was actually not bad!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
BA in Y was actually not bad!

LHR-YYZ in Y with WT 2000 777-200ER. Not bad! The TV screen is just used as a moving map for me, big deal I have a nice laptop. The seats recline decdntly, the plane was clean, the service was on time, the crew were quite happy (most of my interactions were with a Scottish lady). The food was the traditional BA curry, an ice-cream, and a lovely sandwich towards the end. I asked for a 2nd sandwich but the lady said no that’s not fair so didn’t give me one. Oh well at least I tried.

i was peckish mid flight at some point and went to the rear Galley where they only had pretzels so I took a few of those. Unlimited drinks though, but I just stuck with red wine and water the whole time.

Id give it an 8/10, my only gripe being that I couldn’t find food when I wanted to, but maybe that’s because I have quite a big appetite, especially when travelling! And yes I had 2 packs of itsu and one of prêt à manger before going on board
MightyTravels and THEOBCMAN like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've got an AA flight in Y to LAX later today but a quite a few glasses of bubbly and my new noise cancelling headphones will hopefully help

I just find that my backside gets sore in any Y and I'm constantly shifting around, mostly on the edge of the seat.

Already stocking up on in flight snacks should I require any. Not sure about all the cameras I can see on the roof and whether anyone is taking interest in my collection of goodies.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Airline seats have got terribly uncomfortable. I find it depends on aircraft type, as well as age of the plane. The A330 seems to be the worst and the new 787 the best, by my experience. I have done a year of economy class only travel, but on other carriers, and it has been fine. More than fine, in some instances (excellent KL flight from PVG to AMS on a new 787).
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
I have the same problem with hard seats - an inflatable cushion is the answer. Check out the Mobility Medical Inflatable PVC Cushion on Amazon.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
At least if you've an aisle seat, there's easy access to places to stretch your legs and not be essentially trapped for a long flight should your seatmates sleep or have an assortment of cables to bypass.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I've done quite a few BA Y flights over the years and overall it isn't too bad (Bar the old IFE/Seats on older/unrefurbished planes which I avoid anyhow) and especially if you can nab an exit seat or 25D on the A380 for example.

It's perfectly 'survivable' and re the 2nd sandwich request did you ask when they were being handed out or afterwards once they the service was complete? In my experiences there are usually a few spare unwanted left and best to ask after the CC have done the whole cabin. Here's another thread on the BA Y experience, albeit an older one.

A Rare Thread - BA Longhaul Y, life down the back isn't too bad and I Survived!!!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
If you are mentally prepared that you will sit for X h on the same seat, you are prepared and ready with your tools/kits that make your experience more comfortable, economy is perfectly doable.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
We don't hear too often about economy-class travel here!

It's the only long-haul BA cabin i'm comfortable in, in a manner of speaking. There's plenty of sag in the seats of the older aircraft, but the crew are generally helpful and cheerful, and I carry my own entertainment.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
having done a lot of BA long haul in Y, what I do is, check with the BA rep 15 to 20 minutes prior to departure,
for open seats on the plane. Most times I have been able to find the middle row empty towards the rear of the plane.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Travelling Inspector
an inflatable cushion is the answer.
That's quite a good idea; I just ordered myself something similar.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
As someone who regularly travels long haul Y for work, I think BA has substantially improved their service and I find the 777 (9-seats across) and A-380 configurations quite good.

I flew Delta to the US (MSP) last week for the first time in years, an older 767, If you want lots and lots of food (think American portions) you should look there: pretzels and biscuits in the first drinks run, a full lunch with cheese and crackers and dessert; mid flight warm chocolate chip cookies, then a hot sandwich and ice cream before landing. I really liked that all passengers in Y got a large 500 ml bottle of water at the start of the flight.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Egoldstein
I flew Delta to the US (MSP) last week for the first time in years, an older 767, If you want lots and lots of food (think American portions) you should look there... (and) all passengers in Y got a large 500 ml bottle of water at the start of the flight.
This is a US-domestic differentiation strategy for Delta. AA and UA are racing each other to the bottom in Y, and DL is betting that the Y trade will pay a smidgen more for more comfort / amenities, including seatback IFE, and less misery. I pray they are right.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
"More food through coach" (and good IFE) rather than the failed AA "More room through coach" ?
panem et circenses, the ancient strategy.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
LHR-YYZ in Y with WT 2000 777-200ER. Not bad! The TV screen is just used as a moving map for me, big deal I have a nice laptop. The seats recline decdntly, the plane was clean, the service was on time, the crew were quite happy (most of my interactions were with a Scottish lady). The food was the traditional BA curry, an ice-cream, and a lovely sandwich towards the end. I asked for a 2nd sandwich but the lady said no that’s not fair so didn’t give me one. Oh well at least I tried.

i was peckish mid flight at some point and went to the rear Galley where they only had pretzels so I took a few of those. Unlimited drinks though, but I just stuck with red wine and water the whole time.

Id give it an 8/10, my only gripe being that I couldn’t find food when I wanted to, but maybe that’s because I have quite a big appetite, especially when travelling! And yes I had 2 packs of itsu and one of prêt à manger before going on board
Now if only you had lounge access through status then you could have enjoyed some food and drink before your flight which would negate the need to eat so much on board.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

With some pre planning flying in Y should hold no fears.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.