FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA in Y was actually not bad! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1936933-ba-y-actually-not-bad.html)

ahmetdouas Oct 23, 2018 4:06 am

BA in Y was actually not bad!

LHR-YYZ in Y with WT 2000 777-200ER. Not bad! The TV screen is just used as a moving map for me, big deal I have a nice laptop. The seats recline decdntly, the plane was clean, the service was on time, the crew were quite happy (most of my interactions were with a Scottish lady). The food was the traditional BA curry, an ice-cream, and a lovely sandwich towards the end. I asked for a 2nd sandwich but the lady said no that’s not fair so didn’t give me one. Oh well at least I tried.

i was peckish mid flight at some point and went to the rear Galley where they only had pretzels so I took a few of those. Unlimited drinks though, but I just stuck with red wine and water the whole time.

Id give it an 8/10, my only gripe being that I couldn’t find food when I wanted to, but maybe that’s because I have quite a big appetite, especially when travelling! And yes I had 2 packs of itsu and one of prêt à manger before going on board

xenole Oct 23, 2018 4:17 am

I've got an AA flight in Y to LAX later today but a quite a few glasses of bubbly and my new noise cancelling headphones will hopefully help ;)

I just find that my backside gets sore in any Y and I'm constantly shifting around, mostly on the edge of the seat.

Already stocking up on in flight snacks should I require any. Not sure about all the cameras I can see on the roof and whether anyone is taking interest in my collection of goodies.

Concerto Oct 23, 2018 4:44 am

Airline seats have got terribly uncomfortable. I find it depends on aircraft type, as well as age of the plane. The A330 seems to be the worst and the new 787 the best, by my experience. I have done a year of economy class only travel, but on other carriers, and it has been fine. More than fine, in some instances (excellent KL flight from PVG to AMS on a new 787).

Travelling Inspector Oct 23, 2018 4:49 am

I have the same problem with hard seats - an inflatable cushion is the answer. Check out the Mobility Medical Inflatable PVC Cushion on Amazon.https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...cd196d0a3c.jpg

xenole Oct 23, 2018 5:01 am

At least if you've an aisle seat, there's easy access to places to stretch your legs and not be essentially trapped for a long flight should your seatmates sleep or have an assortment of cables to bypass.

PETER01 Oct 23, 2018 5:02 am

I've done quite a few BA Y flights over the years and overall it isn't too bad (Bar the old IFE/Seats on older/unrefurbished planes which I avoid anyhow) and especially if you can nab an exit seat or 25D on the A380 for example.

It's perfectly 'survivable' and re the 2nd sandwich request did you ask when they were being handed out or afterwards once they the service was complete? In my experiences there are usually a few spare unwanted left and best to ask after the CC have done the whole cabin. Here's another thread on the BA Y experience, albeit an older one.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...-survived.html

tobsw Oct 23, 2018 5:15 am

If you are mentally prepared that you will sit for X h on the same seat, you are prepared and ready with your tools/kits that make your experience more comfortable, economy is perfectly doable.

IAN-UK Oct 23, 2018 5:18 am

We don't hear too often about economy-class travel here!

It's the only long-haul BA cabin i'm comfortable in, in a manner of speaking. There's plenty of sag in the seats of the older aircraft, but the crew are generally helpful and cheerful, and I carry my own entertainment.

fotographer Oct 23, 2018 5:26 am

having done a lot of BA long haul in Y, what I do is, check with the BA rep 15 to 20 minutes prior to departure,
for open seats on the plane. Most times I have been able to find the middle row empty towards the rear of the plane.

flatlander Oct 23, 2018 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Travelling Inspector (Post 30345957)
an inflatable cushion is the answer.

That's quite a good idea; I just ordered myself something similar.

Egoldstein Oct 23, 2018 5:49 am

As someone who regularly travels long haul Y for work, I think BA has substantially improved their service and I find the 777 (9-seats across) and A-380 configurations quite good.

I flew Delta to the US (MSP) last week for the first time in years, an older 767, If you want lots and lots of food (think American portions) you should look there: pretzels and biscuits in the first drinks run, a full lunch with cheese and crackers and dessert; mid flight warm chocolate chip cookies, then a hot sandwich and ice cream before landing. I really liked that all passengers in Y got a large 500 ml bottle of water at the start of the flight.

BearX220 Oct 23, 2018 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Egoldstein (Post 30346114)
I flew Delta to the US (MSP) last week for the first time in years, an older 767, If you want lots and lots of food (think American portions) you should look there... (and) all passengers in Y got a large 500 ml bottle of water at the start of the flight.

This is a US-domestic differentiation strategy for Delta. AA and UA are racing each other to the bottom in Y, and DL is betting that the Y trade will pay a smidgen more for more comfort / amenities, including seatback IFE, and less misery. I pray they are right.

flatlander Oct 23, 2018 6:48 am

"More food through coach" (and good IFE) rather than the failed AA "More room through coach" ?
panem et circenses, the ancient strategy.

madfish Oct 23, 2018 7:00 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas (Post 30345885)
LHR-YYZ in Y with WT 2000 777-200ER. Not bad! The TV screen is just used as a moving map for me, big deal I have a nice laptop. The seats recline decdntly, the plane was clean, the service was on time, the crew were quite happy (most of my interactions were with a Scottish lady). The food was the traditional BA curry, an ice-cream, and a lovely sandwich towards the end. I asked for a 2nd sandwich but the lady said no that’s not fair so didn’t give me one. Oh well at least I tried.

i was peckish mid flight at some point and went to the rear Galley where they only had pretzels so I took a few of those. Unlimited drinks though, but I just stuck with red wine and water the whole time.

Id give it an 8/10, my only gripe being that I couldn’t find food when I wanted to, but maybe that’s because I have quite a big appetite, especially when travelling! And yes I had 2 packs of itsu and one of prêt à manger before going on board

Now if only you had lounge access through status then you could have enjoyed some food and drink before your flight which would negate the need to eat so much on board.

HIDDY Oct 23, 2018 7:12 am

With some pre planning flying in Y should hold no fears.