Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA CPT-MAD/BCN return in F for £667 - Biltong (now dead)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA CPT-MAD/BCN return in F for £667 - Biltong (now dead)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
Originally Posted by drakepassage
I agree with not calling during the sale and waiting.

I just thought we'd have an answer a week on.

I'll reiterate I think it's naive to think BA aren't completely aware of this given it was on the front page of OMAAT. Calling isn't going to tell them anything they don't already know or prompt them to cancel tickets, whatever process that happens to review/cancel/honour is already well underway.

Can anyone explain the effect of calling the airline long after the fare has been pulled and advertised all over the internet?

I'll give it until next week and hope there's some news, but I've got to book positioning and accommodation at some point. My hotel has 'only 1 room available' for example.
i'll give you a bunch of reasons:
1) if BA has already taken a decision, your call won't change it
2) if BA has not, you won't have that decision through your call. Perhaps you'll see subsequent actions from BA or perhaps you won't see nothing at all
3) getting a response from a CS located somewhere in the world won't add any *real* value to you since you cannot evaluate the reliability of the answer
4) maybe BA has different priorities in the list and pushing an answer from them could cause more light over the matter.
5) somehow if I know i made an *incredible offer* (you understadc what I mean, don't you?) and I fear it was exagerate, maybe I'm still thinking what is the best approach.... and the more time it passes the better it is for you.
6) you ask us the "the effect of calling the airline".... the very same question is the one i'm gonna ask you: "for the God's sake, what effect do you expect to get?" sorry to disappoint you but there's no answer you can get from them which is 100% reliable.
7) I don't like your idea of giving deadline: it shows a huge amount of selfishness.... you are part of the community. And in a community we all work together. Givers Gain philosophy should be the right approach
8) selfishnessly, you speak about YOUR positioning, YOUR accomodation, YOUR priority, YOUR needs.... oh come on.... here I am, I already paid money, miles, day-off and a lot of effort and energy to get (currently) in position and I didn't call the airline to get guarantees. Because WE ARE A COMMUNITY.
9) you will have the answer well ahead of one week, but please avoid to consider yourself an expert in the matter at the point you know what is right to do. I'm member since almost 15 years and I consider myself just acquainted with this situation but the golden rule for me is "listen to those more expert than me".

Hope this can help you to approach the matter in a different way.
Cheers.
madfish likes this.

Last edited by paffendorf; Oct 19, 2018 at 7:42 am Reason: mispelling
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
There are passengers flying this weekend on the fare, so you'll know soon enough.

Book your positioning flights as refundable fares, and then you'll have no need to worry.

M
When bookings from other mistake fares (which this clearly is) were cancelled some people had already flown, while others were offered to fly in economy when they turned up at the airport. It will not surprise me if these bookings are cancelled. IIRC when the error fares were pulled it has taken BA up to a couple of weeks on previous occasions to cancel the mistake bookings. I suppose how BA deals with this will all depend on how many chancers grabbed the fare.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:17 am

Talking

Originally Posted by cgtechuk
The calls are not all recorded, Do you call to check every booking? I could completely understand if you have a PNR but no ticket but you have one and its confirmed, There is no reason to doubt it,

Also I have seen plenty evidence of posts on here from people saying " I Called the call centre and was told X" and it is meaningless and not contractually binding in any way, If people call up asking if it was correct as it looked too cheap and wanting to confirm its actually valid is going to cause IMHO red flags as it then gives them a reason to cancel them if people think they are a mistake.

Me typing all this is a waste of time as you are going to call them anyway just so they can read the same thing back to you

IMHO if people dont understand the risks please don't book
This thread feels like we're trying to talk someone off the ledge.

But I do agree with others, though less militantly.
No value in calling. A answer you want to hear is actually false hope since it may not be creditable. An answer you don't want to hear will give you more worry.
Let it roll.
Or as my mum would say, "suck it up buttercup." =)
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by paffendorf
i'll give you a bunch of reasons:
1) if BA has already taken a decision, your call won't change it
2) if BA has not, you won't have that decision through your call. Perhaps you'll see subsequent actions from BA or perhaps you won't see nothing at all
3) getting a response from a CS located somewhere in the world won't add any *real* value to you since you cannot evaluate the reliability of the answer
4) maybe BA has different priorities in the list and pushing an answer from them could cause more light over the matter.
5) somehow if I know i made an *incredible offer* (you understadc what I mean, don't you?) and I fear it was exagerate, maybe I'm still thinking what is the best approach.... and the more time it passes the better it is for you.
6) you ask us the "the effect of calling the airline".... the very same question is the one i'm gonna ask you: "for the God's sake, what effect do you expect to get?" sorry to disappoint you but there's no answer you can get from them which is 100% reliable.
7) I don't like your idea of giving deadline: it shows a huge amount of selfishness.... you are part of the community. And in a community we all work together. Givers Gain philosophy should be the right approach
8) selfishnessly, you speak about YOUR positioning, YOUR accomodation, YOUR priority, YOUR needs.... oh come on.... here I am, I already paid money, miles, day-off and a lot of effort and energy to get (currently) in position and I didn't call the airline to get guarantees. Because WE ARE A COMMUNITY.
9) you will have the answer well ahead of one week, but please avoid to consider yourself an expert in the matter at the point you know what is right to do. I'm member since almost 15 years and I consider myself just acquainted with this situation but the golden rule for me is "listen to those more expert than me".

Hope this can help you to approach the matter in a different way.
Cheers.
i cant even. really? calm yourself.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
When bookings from other mistake fares (which this clearly is) were cancelled some people had already flown, while others were offered to fly in economy when they turned up at the airport. It will not surprise me if these bookings are cancelled. IIRC when the error fares were pulled it has taken BA up to a couple of weeks on previous occasions to cancel the mistake bookings. I suppose how BA deals with this will all depend on how many chancers grabbed the fare.
i hadn’t thought of the ‘travel in economy’ option, thanks for the insight.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]

yep, unfortunately this is a possibility (the one which I consider the worst) and we can only discover it just after the first passengers will experiment it directly
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: SAA, DL, BA, UA, IHG, SPG
If only presented with the travel in Economy option at the airport on the day of departure, would that not open up the possibilities of an involuntary downgrade claim?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR

This won't happen, It was advertised as F ticketed as F and says so on the receipt. It wasn't a fare mapping issue either

Wish we would all just calm down
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:20 pm

This won't happen, It was advertised as F ticketed as F and says so on the receipt. It wasn't a fare mapping issue either

I agree with you - everyone needs to calm down. In regards to calling BA, what is the point? You will be speaking to someone in the contact centre and their response has no weighting whatsoever. It’s not for them to be able to answer whether this fare will be honoured, will you be downgraded, will the ticket be cancelled?! It’s above their pay grade to consider and I think it’s inconsiderate to ask this question as stated this is a community and others will hesitate in future to post/comment on such deals in future. This is all part of the adventure... it’s Friday so sit back relax, focus on something which is within your control!!!
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:43 am

Programs: Star Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, EY Silver

Unfortunately, this has happened. Swiss downgraded pax on a first class "mistake fare" originating out of RGN for those of us arriving LHR, transiting in ZRH for flights to YUL. Upon check-in we were given the choice of flying economy or not at all. It was ticketed in F and the last-minute downgrade was done without any advance warning.

Last edited by UAuhoh; Oct 20, 2018 at 3:45 am Reason: Added missing words
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by UAuhoh
Unfortunately, this has happened. Swiss downgraded pax on a first class "mistake fare" originating out of RGN for those of us arriving LHR, transiting in ZRH for flights to YUL. Upon check-in we were given the choice of flying economy or not at all. It was ticketed in F and the last-minute downgrade was done without any advance warning.
The point is I believe BA don't have firm for this as it would be a PR nightmare let alone the risk of ec261

First few are travelling today.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
The point is I believe BA don't have firm for this as it would be a PR nightmare let alone the risk of ec261

I am not sure I agree with you on that (although it speaking from personal experience). Wasn’t there an issue with Tequila?

As for the second point - there may have been others before now / we just don’t know about them.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

Some people flew the Tequila Fare (the early ones), others were downgraded to economy and others had their reservations cancelled.

EC261 isn't a big concern, the downgrade amount is very little - 75% of not a lot is a very small amount indeed when compared to what the actual fare should be.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Originally Posted by DBCme
Or as my mum would say, "suck it up buttercup." =)
My mom still says that to me! hehe...
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by madfish

I am not sure I agree with you on that (although it speaking from personal experience). Wasn’t there an issue with Tequila?

As for the second point - there may have been others before now / we just don’t know about them.
understood, I know of someone flying it today, Me I will just sit back and wait, No rush :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.