Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA CPT-MAD/BCN return in F for £667 - Biltong (now dead)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA CPT-MAD/BCN return in F for £667 - Biltong (now dead)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I’d like to think if the airline chooses to cancel they’d give some discretion on allowing a free cancellation of an avios flight too!
Had an LGW-JFK in J cancelled 2 months out and they refunded the cancellation charge on a connecting reward flight from EDI so I’d say your chances were good
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: QF WP
166 hours and no news. Patience grasshopper
cgtechuk likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:04 am

This reminds me of advice I was given many years ago. Never ask someone if they love you, as asking the question may cause them to examine the question anew and realise they do not.

I wouldn't be asking BA anything at all about this if I had booked it. I think the BA Holidays/deposit approach is a very good shout.
cgtechuk likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cgtechuk
Why on earth would you call the airline? If it shows as confirmed and you have a ticket number that should be all you need to know and quite frankly will be all that CS will tell you as well. Asking them Was this a mistake? That is asking for trouble

What do you expect them to say? Anything CS say cant be held as golden either. This is why I hate deals getting posted on FT as it ends up with pages of what if's and legal this, Just sit back and relax :-)
I get not calling the airline during a sale, but the fare is gone, it's been plastered all over the internet - I think it's naive to assume they aren't already fully aware of it?

Calling them to double-check my sale fare is valid doesn't seem stupid.

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
The absolute worst thing you can do

At best it will give you false comfort, as there is nothing stopping BA cancelling it after you call in
Originally Posted by fransknorge
It is a bad idea. At worse it will backfire, at best it gives you a false sense of security. CS words have no value.
I disagree - if you call an organisation you've entered into a contract with a week later and they confirm your order is valid in a recorded conversation...? Why can't an organisation be held responsible for what it's representatives say once a contract has been formed?

If I'm told I have a 4 bag allowance for example, I'd expect to be able to rely on that?

Equally if I make a new (positioning) booking with them on the basis of them confirming the ticket is OK, they're at least on the hook for a free cancellation if they pull the ticket subsequently.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:16 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
This is the first rule of such fares: never call the airline.
It is plastered all over Flyertalk.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by drakepassage
I get not calling the airline during a sale, but the fare is gone, it's been plastered all over the internet - I think it's naive to assume they aren't already fully aware of it?

I disagree - if you call an organisation you've entered into a contract with a week later and they confirm your order is valid in a recorded conversation...? Why can't an organisation be held responsible for what it's representatives say once a contract has been formed?

If I'm told I have a 4 bag allowance for example, I'd expect to be able to rely on that?

Equally if I make a new (positioning) booking with them on the basis of them confirming the ticket is OK, they're at least on the hook for a free cancellation if they pull the ticket subsequently.
The calls are not all recorded, Do you call to check every booking? I could completely understand if you have a PNR but no ticket but you have one and its confirmed, There is no reason to doubt it,

Also I have seen plenty evidence of posts on here from people saying " I Called the call centre and was told X" and it is meaningless and not contractually binding in any way, If people call up asking if it was correct as it looked too cheap and wanting to confirm its actually valid is going to cause IMHO red flags as it then gives them a reason to cancel them if people think they are a mistake.

Me typing all this is a waste of time as you are going to call them anyway just so they can read the same thing back to you

IMHO if people dont understand the risks please don't book

Last edited by cgtechuk; Oct 19, 2018 at 6:33 am
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]

Believe me if I say that, if you don’t call the airline, you’ll however know in a few days how the situation is. Once again, just believe me and believe to others’ suggestion, keep calm & don’t call the airline

Last edited by paffendorf; Oct 19, 2018 at 7:11 am Reason: mispelling
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:10 am

Sorry if i could sound rude, since it's not my intention .... but.....
I think you should reconsider your point of view. You're considering urgent your positioning and while I can understand this, maybe you should think that other people has closer departure and their positioning is even more urgent.
I can grant you - and I'm definitely more reliable than any airline - that there are at least 2 people flying over the next few days. Just stay tuned and you'll know what you need to know.
cheers and don't be impatient

Last edited by paffendorf; Oct 19, 2018 at 7:42 am
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd

This is why the Deals forum needs to have higher barriers to entry than the CC forum and the ability to blackball.
PrimaVista and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
The old adage “if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it” springs to mind.

Seriously, you need to leave this well alone and move on.

The moral of of this should be that if you can’t live with the stress and risk, don’t do it.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
The old adage “if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it” springs to mind.

Seriously, you need to leave this well alone and move on.

The moral of of this should be that if you can’t live with the stress and risk, don’t do it.
precisely.
no news = good news.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:21 am
Suspended

I agree with not calling during the sale and waiting.

I just thought we'd have an answer a week on.

I'll reiterate I think it's naive to think BA aren't completely aware of this given it was on the front page of OMAAT. Calling isn't going to tell them anything they don't already know or prompt them to cancel tickets, whatever process that happens to review/cancel/honour is already well underway.

Can anyone explain the effect of calling the airline long after the fare has been pulled and advertised all over the internet?

I'll give it until next week and hope there's some news, but I've got to book positioning and accommodation at some point. My hotel has 'only 1 room available' for example.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
You can now book your Y positioning if you must for £100 off using 5,000 Avios

Takes a LHR-JNB down to £350
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:23 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher

I'll reiterate I think it's naive to think BA aren't completely aware of this given it was on the front page of OMAAT. Calling isn't going to tell them anything they don't already know or prompt them to cancel tickets, whatever process that happens to review/cancel/honour is already well underway.

Can anyone explain the effect of calling the airline long after the fare has been pulled and advertised all over the internet?

I'll give it until next week and hope there's some news, but I've got to book positioning and accommodation at some point. My hotel has 'only 1 room available' for example.
There are passengers flying this weekend on the fare, so you'll know soon enough.

Book your positioning flights as refundable fares, and then you'll have no need to worry.

M
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass

So book your hotel on a refundable rate if it’s that important.

And with all all due respect, you don’t know what’s going on in relation to the fare, but drawing attention to it doesn’t do anyone any favours.
PrimaVista likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.