Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ex-US Fuel Surcharges for F up 50%

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rapidex
Or those in Brazil not getting ripped off like us at all.
Of course - and I believe that there is restrictions in the Philippines plus , in China, Hong Kong restricts what airlines can charge - there may be other locations where airlines are restricted from disguising fares
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:56 am

BA Avios - No Fuel Surcharge partners and ways to minimize costs (incl. trans-atlantic!) https://travelupdate.boardingarea.co...inimize-costs/

Blueboys999 likes this.

Last edited by ibling; Nov 20, 2018 at 7:58 am Reason: Adding Details
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ibling

BA Avios - No Fuel Surcharge partners and ways to minimize costs (incl. trans-atlantic!) https://travelupdate.boardingarea.co...inimize-costs/

i wonder where some of those graphics came from in the article?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by KARFA

i wonder where some of those graphics came from in the article?
The Award chart, as referenced in post - from FT Hope you found the post helpful - cheers!
Blueboys999 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by pomkiwi
Essentially an easy and quiet way to devalue Avios without raising the complaints that a formal adjustment of earning or spend rates would cause.
This cash cost makes it not worth it.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by dylanks
This is a pretty absurd devaluation of the joker and 2-4-1 benefits for those in the US, as these are the scenarios where you need to book a return journey rather than two one-way tickets.
Are people saying, to avoid these crazy new high fees in award F, that even using a 2 for 1, you can book two one-ways and the fees and taxes will ex-US to Europe will be approx $1000 round trip vs $1800?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nologic
Are people saying, to avoid these crazy new high fees in award F, that even using a 2 for 1, you can book two one-ways and the fees and taxes will ex-US to Europe will be approx $1000 round trip vs $1800?
Probably yes in most cases like in the example below, but you need to check yourself when booking which is easily done.

LAX-LHR one way J
Transportation Tax(Departure) - USA $18.30
Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee - USA $5.60
Passenger Facility Charge $4.50
British Airways fees and carrier charges Per adult
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Total charges $581.40 (~£454)

LHR-LAX one way J
Air Passenger Duty - United Kingdom £156.00
Passenger Service Charge - United Kingdom £46.62
Customs User Fee - USA £4.50
Transportation Tax(Arrival) - USA £14.20
Animal & Plant Health User Fee (Aphis) - USA £3.10
Immigration User Fee - USA £5.40
Carrier imposed charge £200.00
Total charges £429.82

LAX-LHR rtn in J
Customs User Fee - USA $5.77
Transportation Tax(Arrival) - USA $18.30
Animal & Plant Health User Fee (Aphis) - USA $3.96
Immigration User Fee - USA $7.00
Air Passenger Duty - United Kingdom $200.43
Passenger Service Charge - United Kingdom $59.90
Carrier imposed charge $1,106.00
Total charges $1,429.76 (~£1,118)

Total TFC booking exUS as one ways £883.82
Total TFC booking exUS as a return £1,118

→ Therefore cheaper as two one ways in J saving ~£235.

LAX-LHR one way F
Carrier imposed charge $753.00
Total charges $781.40 (~£611)

LHR-LAX one way F
Government, authority and airport charges* Per adult
Air Passenger Duty - United Kingdom £156.00
Passenger Service Charge - United Kingdom £46.62
Customs User Fee - USA £4.50
Transportation Tax(Arrival) - USA £14.20
Animal & Plant Health User Fee (Aphis) - USA £3.10
Immigration User Fee - USA £5.40
Carrier imposed charge £200.00
Total charges £429.82

LAX-LHR rtn in F
Customs User Fee - USA $5.77
Transportation Tax(Arrival) - USA $18.30
Animal & Plant Health User Fee (Aphis) - USA $3.96
Immigration User Fee - USA $7.00
Air Passenger Duty - United Kingdom $200.43
Passenger Service Charge - United Kingdom $59.90
Carrier imposed charge $1,506.00
Total charges $1,829.76 (~£1,431)

Total TFC booking exUS as one ways £1,040.82
Total TFC booking exUS as a return £1,431

→ Therefore cheaper as two one ways in J saving ~£390.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
So, BA must be officially mad. A J redemption ex-US now has a cash component higher than an ex-EU J cash fare for which you accrue Avios and TP. See the latest Sweden to US offers. This does seem to make it pointless for US residents to redeem on BA.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
J reward costs for 2 people out of Toronto to london avois plus $2600CAN ($2000US)
F reward costs for 2 people out of Toronto to London
avios plus $3300 CAN ($2500US)
It’s the first time I’ve seen such a difference between J AND F (CW vs F)
per passenger the CW costs are $1000 US and F $1250 US.
CRAZY
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
J reward costs for 2 people out of Toronto to london avois plus $2600CAN ($2000US)
F reward costs for 2 people out of Toronto to London
avios plus $3300 CAN ($2500US)
It’s the first time I’ve seen such a difference between J AND F (CW vs F)
per passenger the CW costs are $1000 US and F $1250 US.
CRAZY
Hmm...at the end of Sept, I paid 156,500 Avios plus $1161 for roundtrip first BOS-LHR-LIN and return VCE-LHR-BOS (no stopover).
Today, that same routing is showing $1,681.
NUTS!
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
So, BA must be officially mad. A J redemption ex-US now has a cash component higher than an ex-EU J cash fare for which you accrue Avios and TP. See the latest Sweden to US offers. This does seem to make it pointless for US residents to redeem on BA.
I’m not sure it makes it pointless, just expensive, as without wanting to be glib, a flight departing ex-EU isn’t that helpful to most people in the US.

i presume the market segmentation piece affecting the US specifically is as a result of increased demand as a result of huge issuance of Avios through big take up of credit card offers etc.?
LimaWhiskey likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
i presume the market segmentation piece affecting the US specifically is as a result of increased demand as a result of huge issuance of Avios through big take up of credit card offers etc.?
The YQ charged is the same as for revenue bookings; so if they're trying to discourage award bookings, they may well discourage revenue bookings too, as those prices will also just have increased by the same amount. (unless of course the YQ was increased but associated fare decreased, meaning revenue changes are neutral but award prices are not).

The main reason for US YQ prices being higher than other currencies is for BA to be collecting more in USD, in which a lot of costs are paid (such as fuel for example) - then when other currencies fluctuate they already have USD reserves. There are probably more complexities to it, but that's my understanding from an internal explanation some years ago.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JAXBA

The main reason for US YQ prices being higher than other currencies is for BA to be collecting more in USD, in which a lot of costs are paid (such as fuel for example) - then when other currencies fluctuate they already have USD reserves. There are probably more complexities to it, but that's my understanding from an internal explanation some years ago.
That is not any justification for the USD prices to be higher - if anything that would justify a lower USD charge

There is nothing defenisble about disguising the fare as some charge. Any justification for fuel surcharges disappeared years ago and no reason for them at all - just set the fare to the level for the rate for the journey
LimaWhiskey likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
I’m not sure it makes it pointless, just expensive, as without wanting to be glib, a flight departing ex-EU isn’t that helpful to most people in the US.

I was not suggesting ex-EU fares as an alternative for US based travelers but I do indeed know some who do this. The often low fees for changing ex-EU tickets make this possible while still retaining some flexibility.

I suspect the volumes of Avios out there may have something to do with this as well as the price point at which BA “sells” Avios to banks and credit card companies in the US to finance the large bonuses offered. Does anybody have any comparison to Europe on this?

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That is not any justification for the USD prices to be higher - if anything that would justify a lower USD charge

There is nothing defenisble about disguising the fare as some charge. Any justification for fuel surcharges disappeared years ago and no reason for them at all - just set the fare to the level for the rate for the journey
Agreed. Raising prices in a competetive market would never be the best way to increase revenue. Margin perhaps, depending on the demand side, but revenue usually not.

YQ increased roughly as fuel costs increased but did not proportionately decrease as fuel prices receded. Now prices are rising again, using the same excuse but coming from a higher base seems unfair. I also agree that this kind of surcharge is a dishonest way of increasing fares. If the fare needs to be higher, increase it and take your luck with the competition but don’t slap a surcharge on.

Another unfair practice in my opinion is that new YQ will be applied and charged on previously sold flexible tickets as soon as a ticket change is required. This would not be the case if base fares were increased since changes after departure are usually at historical fare points.

And, didn’t BA lose a legal case on YQ and fuel charges and rename it to carrier surcharge? While not familiar with the reasoning in that case, I wonder what justification can be given for a further increase.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
This is why I do not use BAEC for long distance award redemptions at all. There's no point in collecting Avios any more if cash prices are the same or lower (maybe this is what they want). But where Avios do have value is for short trips in Europe and elsewhere and sometimes the partners can offer interesting alternative redemption possibilities. But I keep a low Avios balance just for these short distance flights. The taxes became beyond ridiculous when they went past GBP500 for a RT, and now it is just ludicrous. Somebody's going to call time on this programme at some point in the not too distant future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.