Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enough is enough - Bye bye BA - I'm out

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by T8191
OK, I see the sainted QR flies to a few places we might want to go. And as leisure pax ‘via DOH’ isn’t necessarily an issue. I need to explore more deeply, as we have 6 months of travel to book for late 2019/2020.
First look is NOT encouraging!
Attached Images  
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:11 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

First look is NOT encouraging!
Why on earth would you go to IAD via DOH? Or are you trying to prove a point?
User Name likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
I would find it very hard to come to the conclusion that CW or BA F was really the best option.
And that is your choice to make. But please do not speak for me or other passengers. Like you, we have a right to decide what is the best option for us.

You predicted in an earlier post that BA would lose all of its premium passengers, but surely you meant to say that BA would lose you as a passenger? You have no idea where the needs and preferences of other passengers lie and you can't speak for them.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I was just wondering if I could use QR to the USA. It seems I can, albeit expensively and inconveniently.

More interesting was LGW-CPT, at 'only' £3,216 ... albeit with a long layover in DOH on the way out.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Why would I personally have measured the seat?
Many many others have measured the seats as its part of their job. Virgin is 21inches wide and BA is 18.5 inches wide. Any review will tell you as much.
https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...onomy-product/
I don't want to take the thread off topic, but the piece you point to is from a travel site comparison, which I'll bet didn't measure the seat themselves, they took the seat width from the airlines own websites, the BAsource, seatguru, who knows where. Many of these pieces are not thoroughly researched, as the prime purpose of the site is to drive clicks and revenue. I can't speak directly for HfP, but reading something on the Internet does not make it a fact. If you read HfP regularly you know that the comments sections offer many corrections, some factual. I'm not judging HfP, and it's a site I read pretty much daily, and enjoy.

For clarity I accept that the Virgin seat maybe wider, but given the 747 aircraft width is the same, and the layout for both is 2 4 2, I do not believe Virgin have magic'd up an addition 20 inches. They may have gone for narrower aisles, mounted the windows seats further into the bulge of the fuselage, resulting in reduced foot and shoulder width, or have thinner arms on the seats, all of which doesn't really give you a bigger seat, you only really get that from having less of them across. For you to state as fact that the seats are the widths claimed, and base this on what is probably the marketing of the airlines is a degree of trust I personally don't have. Do you not think that possibly the method of measuring might be accounting for much of the difference.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:57 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by NRGsaver
Couldn't you fix this problem with a second passport? It is very straightforward to apply for one if you are a UK passport holder, not sure about other countries.
I actually have 3 valid UK passports...(You are allowed up to 5) however Im told they are linked. (Before anyone asks, I travel to countries that are not necessarily straight forward in visa processing, often putting superfluous barriers in the way, and I still need to travel. As I use a company to process these visas for me, it adds a couple of days to the process but worth it.

Must admit, Ive never put it to the test though. For a US visa though, you need to attend the interview in person I understand.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by dougzz
I don't want to take the thread off topic, but the piece you point to is from a travel site comparison, which I'll bet didn't measure the seat themselves, they took the seat width from the airlines own websites, the BAsource, seatguru, who knows where. Many of these pieces are not thoroughly researched, as the prime purpose of the site is to drive clicks and revenue. I can't speak directly for HfP, but reading something on the Internet does not make it a fact. If you read HfP regularly you know that the comments sections offer many corrections, some factual. I'm not judging HfP, and it's a site I read pretty much daily, and enjoy.

For clarity I accept that the Virgin seat maybe wider, but given the 747 aircraft width is the same, and the layout for both is 2 4 2, I do not believe Virgin have magic'd up an addition 20 inches. They may have gone for narrower aisles, mounted the windows seats further into the bulge of the fuselage, resulting in reduced foot and shoulder width, or have thinner arms on the seats, all of which doesn't really give you a bigger seat, you only really get that from having less of them across. For you to state as fact that the seats are the widths claimed, and base this on what is probably the marketing of the airlines is a degree of trust I personally don't have. Do you not think that possibly the method of measuring might be accounting for much of the difference.
I would say BA Source is a reliable source of information on such things. Quite rare that it is not accurate.

Also I don't agree that you can only get bigger seats with fewer abreast. Isn't it about being inventive? So if they have narrower aisles, staggered seats etc so be it, I don't sit in the aisle.

If the suggesting here is that nothing on FT can be believed unless it has been personally measured then the forum will dry up quite quickly. Either than or sales of tape measures is about to boom.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:21 am

CupAndSaucer, "None of that however detracts from the fact that the hard product is just very poor. Much poorer than many other airlines."

This goes to the heart of the matter. The hard product is a problem in F and J. BA have taken too long to address this. Instead big build ups have been made for new amenity kits and trivial trolley displays. They roll these out inconsistently. Clearly BA never considered how difficult the CW configuration is for staff, let alone passengers. I bet the crew will cheer more than anyone when practical new seats are installed. When J class is better in rivals than BA F, that is something customers like me take into account. I want BA to be better.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
I would really love to know the algorithm here, and whether BA know you occasionally fly other airlines?
I NEVER get an upgrade
Except when you do?

I've had a gate-UP to CE and politely asked if they could "find someone else" as, like you. I like my exit row ET and find it superior to CE.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:59 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by WeleaseBwian
. Even Mrs. B (who, if moaning and criticising was an Olympic sport could single handedly take the gold, silver and bronze medals) was very impressed and wanted to know why we hadn't tried other airlines years ago instead of wasting money on BA. (Had no answer for that one!)

To the corporate monkeys who get their tickets paid for:- Get a new job, your employer hates you and has no respect for you if they send you on BA. Move to a company with a better travel policy.

To anyone thinking of spending money with BA:- Don't do it. You're an idiot if you do. There's so much better out there.
Dear Mr WB

Over the years I have read many such threads, although none quite as insulting to others as this, Frankly, any credibility that might have been present ceased as I read that, It reads as though those people who are bound by corporate policies are losers, and pathetic at best. Maybe that it is not what you intended but that is the impression that it gives. I am unsure whether Mrs WB would also, doubtless be flattered to read of herself as a serial moaner. She may indeed be able to give Degrees in the subject, but we will only have your word to accept.

I find tedious in the extreme the notion that anyone who might disagree with your opinion is an idiot, again I may be reading more into your diatribe than you intended but that is how it reads to me. Frankly, I long since stopped believing in Father Christmas (albeit reluctantly), the Tooth Fairy, or most of what I read about flouncing out of the BA door here. Safe in the anonymity of the internet we can say whatever we like and no one can gainsay this. The reason is that the evidence is, from my own eyes on the flights that I use, that whoever is leaving is being quickly replaced. What I cannot understand is this, why should the opinions of people that I would not know if they fell through the ceiling ont my dining room table matter to me, or affect my purchasing habits. When I want to buy anything, I read Which? as the product has been thoroughly tested, but sometimes I have seen, heard, tasted or driven something that did not perform so well under these tests and yet seemed a perfectly good product that pleased.

Ultimately, I am uncertain as to the point of these exit speeches but I wish you and your Better Half God Speed wherever you travel. I am not a monkey myself, but I do sometimes think that some days that I have married one hybrid with a pig (you've not seen his appetite (Yes, he is well aware of my opinions but then love is blind they say), but we muddle along quite happily in sties (is that the plural of sty?) provided by British Airways. As others I read until my boredom threshold was breached ( it decreases with age), QR may be the best carrier ever, but it doesn't help me much shuttling to and fro Alicante, Nice or Honolulu, I have properties there that I

Do excuse me not addressing the opinions of others, but as this was the trigger thread for the opinion storm, I thought that I'd address that. Oh, and in case you think that BA is particularly cherished by me, be at peace. I am one of those silly idiots that they have not succeeded in upsetting and usually leave quite contented, but then as my choice of husband proves, I am easily satisfied.. Like BA, he always gets there, is dependable, and as nothing for me hss broken nothing needs replacing. I may be alone but that concerns me not.

Best Wishes

Miss Idiot aka Pucci Galore
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:07 pm

I was just wondering if I could use QR to the USA. It seems I can, albeit expensively and inconveniently.

More interesting was LGW-CPT, at 'only' £3,216 ... albeit with a long layover in DOH on the way out.

We have used Emirates and Etihad to CPT when the price was right. Even used Lufthansa one year, which is why I now avoid FRA.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by NRGsaver
Couldn't you fix this problem with a second passport? It is very straightforward to apply for one if you are a UK passport holder, not sure about other countries.
Given that the question is "Have you travelled to ... ?" and not "Have you travelled on the passport you're currently applying for an ESTA to ... ?", using a second passport would still require you to lie to CBP. Not a great idea...
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Aye...tier points.
PUCCI GALORE and T8191 like this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:58 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Aye...tier points.
I wouldn't do that itinerary for all the tier points in China
HIDDY likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
I would say BA Source is a reliable source of information on such things. Quite rare that it is not accurate.

Also I don't agree that you can only get bigger seats with fewer abreast. Isn't it about being inventive? So if they have narrower aisles, staggered seats etc so be it, I don't sit in the aisle.

If the suggesting here is that nothing on FT can be believed unless it has been personally measured then the forum will dry up quite quickly. Either than or sales of tape measures is about to boom.
I think the BAsource is generally regarded as accurate, we agree. But when you measure a seat do you measure the cushion width, the gap between the arms, the outside of the arm on either side, the shoulder width?

I stand by the remark concerning fewer abreast is the only way to have more room. If you stagger the seats you are in effect having fewer abreast, think CW, detractors describe it as 8 across, it’s more 2x4 across with two overlapping rows. Narrower aisles is one way, and you say you don’t sit in an aisle, so clearly never been in an aisle seat in economy on a 787. The person in each of the 4 aisle seats can expect to be brushed and knocked by every trolley and passenger pass. You can fix the window seats right into the wall, but this means the fuselage curve intrudes at foot and shoulder for the window seat occupant, what ever the seat measurement you can squeeze out of this you’re not increasing the real amount of room a person has. Changing the arm width might increase the ‘nominal’ seat width, but you’ve no additional shoulder room.

I also said you can’t take everything you read on the Internet as fact, that’s very different to saying everything on FT is wrong. FT is a fantastic resource, and there are a number of posters whose contributions I do take as being very accurate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.