Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enough is enough - Bye bye BA - I'm out

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
I'm just off an overnight BA CW flight from BOS, having done F outbound. Earlier in Sep I also did a Middle East trip in QR, with both Q suites and the old twin seat arrangement.

My own view is that BA F when flying for leisure is great fun, and being nice to the crew goes a long way (as my growing cellar of LPGS attests). I think CW is definitely dated and showing its age, but equally for what I tend to use it for - sleep for a short flight and then revive in Arrivals Lounge, it it absolutely fine. I don't go in with huge expectations, but I do hope that the flight will be pleasant and smooth and that take-offs = landings, which is my prime concern/

QR are fine - I've flown them a few times now and had good and bad flights - the Q suite is an exceptionally good J product, but there are plenty of duff zero privacy seats still out there in J, and if stuck next to a stranger, you are still stepping over them to go to the loo.

I'm quite fond of AF, but my god CDG is enough to make me regret my decision each time I transfer there!
navylad likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by dougzz

I think the BAsource is generally regarded as accurate, we agree. But when you measure a seat do you measure the cushion width, the gap between the arms, the outside of the arm on either side, the shoulder width?

I stand by the remark concerning fewer abreast is the only way to have more room. If you stagger the seats you are in effect having fewer abreast, think CW, detractors describe it as 8 across, it’s more 2x4 across with two overlapping rows. Narrower aisles is one way, and you say you don’t sit in an aisle, so clearly never been in an aisle seat in economy on a 787. The person in each of the 4 aisle seats can expect to be brushed and knocked by every trolley and passenger pass. You can fix the window seats right into the wall, but this means the fuselage curve intrudes at foot and shoulder for the window seat occupant, what ever the seat measurement you can squeeze out of this you’re not increasing the real amount of room a person has. Changing the arm width might increase the ‘nominal’ seat width, but you’ve no additional shoulder room.

I also said you can’t take everything you read on the Internet as fact, that’s very different to saying everything on FT is wrong. FT is a fantastic resource, and there are a number of posters whose contributions I do take as being very accurate.
I believe there is an industry definition of seat width (armrest to armrest) and seat pitch (from a point in seat to same point in seat in front) which BA Source follows.

The only reliable way of looking at seat density is to look at how many seats are in a given area. That debate happens regularly when people argue EK is 1-2-1 and BA 2-4-2 in business, but the overall number of seats is the same.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Aye...tier points.
Always a factor, but not in this hypothetical case.

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I wouldn't do that itinerary for all the tier points in China
Nor would I, sir! As I said, I was simply looking [briefly] to see whether I had a QR option to go in the direction I want to go. Everyone seems to enthuse about it [and the other ME3] but it clearly [and predictably] is East-orientated.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by WeleaseBwian
To anyone thinking of spending money with BA:- Don't do it. You're an idiot if you do. There's so much better out there.
I spend money with BA when, and only when, they are the best option for me (which is actually more often nowadays - seems the cost cutting and fare cutting is working!). That's not remotely idiotic, it's smart.

The idiot is the person who flew BA, an airline they don't like, repeatedly for no apparent reason...
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Having just flown back from PHX in BA First, I have to say the experience was the poorest I have ever had in BA First.
I am well aware that it is not the best product out there, but there can be bargains to be had for BA First compared with other airlines and this should always be factored in when considering your options, and anyone who cant be comfortable in a BA First seat must live a very privileged life.
On my particular flight the crew were magnificent, the Gentleman that served me was polite, courteous, friendly and efficient. Sadly this was the only redeeming feature of the flight.
Boarding was a complete shambles, leading to First being boarded with about half of the plane, one of the 2 toilets in First was taped off and apparently it was sent out from LHR that way, the headphone socket had terrible static which wasn't cured by a charge of headphones and the TV monitor was jammed shut and had to be forced open so I could watch the safety video, the hanger in the personal closet was broken so clothes couldn't be hung.
The crew wrote up the faults and were clearly inconvenienced by queuing passengers for the toilet when trying to serve breakfast.
It really gave you the impression the BA couldn't care less about their First passengers.
My partner was travelling in First for the first time and commented that she thought AA Business was just as good, not an opinion I agree with but with that being her first experience of First she was totally underwhelmed with the notable exception of the crew who she said were lovely.

I really feel for the crew having to put up with the shoddy equipment and it is them alone that draw me back to BA.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:17 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by callum9999
The idiot is the person who flew BA, an airline they don't like, repeatedly for no apparent reason...
Exactly so if they actually did. It's like these people of Trip Advisor who slag somewhere they never stayed. It makes no sense at all. I read of others' experience and when it is nothing but bad I have my doubts. Maybe their pleasure if to recount their ordeal together with pictures of anything from a bag of crisps and the toilet.

Still it takes all sorts I suppose
cjb666 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
, but then as my choice of husband proves, I am easily satisfied.. Like BA, he always gets there
Well now...I hope you give him some sort of 'gong' for that.....
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:29 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by simons1
Well now...I hope you give him some sort of 'gong' for that.....
Trust me Dearest - I bash him as and when the mood takes me. He once had the temerity to inquire what my last servant died of. A good beating, I replied.
mtikky likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: None
Originally Posted by callum9999
Yes, and I openly admit to being an idiot. But it wasn't always the case. In the early 2000s CW was a truly groundbreaking product and I was very happy to fly BA and received great service. But the industry has moved on in great leaps and bounds but BA didn't. They got worse by cutting costs left right and centre again and again. It's a gradual decline that you don't really notice but I finally got fed up with every flight having some combination of:-

Dirty seat
Dodgy IFE that needs to be reset. (Can't remember the last I didn't hear "I'll have to try resetting that" said to someone in the vicinity of my seat)
Having to wedge a piece of menu card into the IFE screen hinge to hold it in place
Foot rest that doesn't stay up
Tatty flimsy rag that is presented as "Hot towel sir"
Under catered flight so that you don't get your first choice.
Empty CW Kitchen

In fact I can't remember my last BA flight where everything was normal. I'm not applying Mrs. B levels of criticism here - just trying to think of a standard boring normal flight where everything worked..... Nope, can't remember.

But an idiot no more. To re-quote the thread title "Enough is enough". I'm off to spend my money elsewhere. People say the grass isn't always greener, but in this case it really is, it has to be because there isn't any grass left on the BA side of the fence.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Sorry,

1. Why would I give my cash to a regime that has appalling human rights and sponsors terrorism?
2. Why would I fly via Qatar when that only makes sense when heading to the Far East or Australia?
3. BA look after me very well
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Lolbert
Sorry,

1. Why would I give my cash to a regime that has appalling human rights and sponsors terrorism?
2. Why would I fly via Qatar when that only makes sense when heading to the Far East or Australia?
3. BA look after me very well
Good to hear that BA are looking after you ^

Do you have any concerns about giving a good wedge of your cash to the ‘regime’ which you seemingly find so distasteful .... ?

Qatar Airways are of course the largest single shareholder in IAG ... and so every time you (or indeed any of us) buy a ticket to fly BA, Qatar are more than happy to profit from you.

Just a thought ........

IAG - International Airlines Group - Significant Holdings
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by subject2load

Good to hear that BA are looking after you ^

Do you have any concerns about giving a good wedge of your cash to the ‘regime’ which you seemingly find so distasteful .... ?

Qatar Airways are of course the largest single shareholder in IAG ... and so every time you (or indeed any of us) buy a ticket to fly BA, Qatar are more than happy to profit from you.

Just a thought ........

IAG - International Airlines Group - Significant Holdings
fair point!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
Having just flown back from PHX in BA First, I have to say the experience was the poorest I have ever had in BA First (...)
Out of curiosity, which aircraft was that?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by WeleaseBwian
Yes, and I openly admit to being an idiot. But it wasn't always the case. In the early 2000s CW was a truly groundbreaking product and I was very happy to fly BA and received great service. But the industry has moved on in great leaps and bounds but BA didn't. They got worse by cutting costs left right and centre again and again. It's a gradual decline that you don't really notice but I finally got fed up with every flight having some combination of:-

Dirty seat
Dodgy IFE that needs to be reset. (Can't remember the last I didn't hear "I'll have to try resetting that" said to someone in the vicinity of my seat)
Having to wedge a piece of menu card into the IFE screen hinge to hold it in place
Foot rest that doesn't stay up
Tatty flimsy rag that is presented as "Hot towel sir"
Under catered flight so that you don't get your first choice.
Empty CW Kitchen

In fact I can't remember my last BA flight where everything was normal. I'm not applying Mrs. B levels of criticism here - just trying to think of a standard boring normal flight where everything worked..... Nope, can't remember.

But an idiot no more. To re-quote the thread title "Enough is enough". I'm off to spend my money elsewhere. People say the grass isn't always greener, but in this case it really is, it has to be because there isn't any grass left on the BA side of the fence.
I think the issue is that you seem to be thinking "if I was an idiot then surely everyone else was too", which isn't true.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Lolbert
Sorry,
If we all based our travel on ethics, there would be very few destinations in the world to go.

Hope you found a suitable Tailor in China on your recent visit.....oh the irony
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by passy777; Oct 8, 2018 at 7:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.