Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Print Wikipost

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:23 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by rapidex
How very sad. My thoughts and heartfelt wishes go out to the crew treated so despicably.

When I left Dan Air my pension was frozen, and subsequently BA took over Dan, including the pension fund, so I now find myself a BA pensioner. This may be one of the last occasions an airline treated its staff fairly. The manager flown back on Cathay was probably upgraded and treated Royally by Cathay management for sticking it to the pesky crew. Cathay is the airline that unilaterally fired 52 pilots, some of whom were down route on trips and were fired by fax, and treated despicably there after. A common modus operandi for the way airlines treat their employees, exacerbated by the weak labour laws in Hong Kong.

Before Mrs rapidex and I depart on our next trip, in a few days time I have ignored the poug BA have sent us, and instead will donate the revenue BA would have got to the crew fund. Poetic justice.

I hope all hurt by this will recover and continue with a happy life.
I think the comparison to CX is a bit unfair. Those pilots were involved in industrial action. I’m not going to play into whether the pilots action was justified or
legal, but the pilots firing was after a prolonged dispute.

These BA crew had this come out of the blue.

(FWIW I don’t agree with how CX deals with its pilot body - either back then or now)
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TwellsTraveller
Appalling treatment of loyal staff, some of whom appear to have been serving their passengers for over 30 years.
Just because it's legal, doesn't mean it's morally right.
Thank you for that post TwellsTraveller, and it's a view shared by many in this thread. Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum, I hope you will continue to participate.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
G
Originally Posted by Lite
I haven’t been around for a while as I left BA last year, but wanted to come back to share the GoFundMe page. Am so pleased, and completely unsurprised, to see that CIHY has already done this. The generosity of former colleagues and customers is outstanding and am sure that they’ll smash their target quickly. They really deserve it, as not only have they been treated callously by BA managers but specifically Carol Ng and her colleagues were very generous with their time and donations during our industrial action last year.

Although I understand that BA are working within the framework of the law in Hong Kong, I think that it is so cruel to treat anyone with such disregard. After the way that we were treated last year with the industrial action though, I am not surprised in the slightest.

The ICCs across the network were always invaluable onboard to handle any linguistic or cultural issues as route experts and cultural ambassadors. I always gave them time to talk in the pre-flight briefings, as especially on Mixed Fleet, their contributions were educational and engaging. The buy in that they had from our frequent fliers on particular routes also must have played some part in customer retention.

It won’t be much comfort, but there is a life outside of BA and I do hope that they find a new job where they’re treated as the assets that they are.
Lovely to see you back Lite back, what a shame it is under such sad circumstances.

Last edited by Can I help you; Sep 29, 2018 at 9:03 am
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
I'd like to contribute and will do so once I get back to London from the US tomorrow. I have have flown this route with BA in the past several times and always appreciated the HKG based cabin crew. I am really glad I booked my next trip to HKG with Virgin last month. I am deeply saddened to learn this is the way BA treats their valuable cabin crew.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by sxc

I think the comparison to CX is a bit unfair. Those pilots were involved in industrial action. I’m not going to play into whether the pilots action was justified or
legal, but the pilots firing was after a prolonged dispute.

These BA crew had this come out of the blue.

(FWIW I don’t agree with how CX deals with its pilot body - either back then or now)
Sorry but I disagree. It was a withdrawal of enthusiasm rather than what we recognise as industrial action, and not everybody fired was involved in the withdrawal. There were, and still are a number of Chinese pilots with the same surname, and they fired the wrong one.

But it was the method used, and the subsequent attacks by management that was disgraceful. This action by BA is rather similar in method.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:22 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Sorry but I disagree. It was a withdrawal of enthusiasm rather than what we recognise as industrial action, and not everybody fired was involved in the withdrawal. There were, and still are a number of Chinese pilots with the same surname, and they fired the wrong one.

But it was the method used, and the subsequent attacks by management that was disgraceful. This action by BA is rather similar in method.
Except the action by BA was not in retaliation to anything. Which makes it worse in my opinion.

Again, I don’t think CX was right, and yes their action is disgraceful. But the situations are not comparable.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:22 am

What is incredibly heartening is how many cabin crew are supporting their HKG colleagues. A brief scroll through the comments section shows that despite decades of management's attempts to weaken organised labour, solidarity among workers remains strong.

I just made a contribution, and in my comments noted that I am a passenger. I encourage others to do the same.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Thank you from all of BAs former Hong Kong crew.

GoFundMe target raised to £88,888

At the time of writing, 1620 people have donated a staggering £44109 in just 20 hours since the campaign was launched by BASSA & MFU Members. However it’s not just members that have given generously, friends and family and even gold card holders from FlyerTalk have been donating and sending messages of support to our HKG colleagues.

Clearly there are many more members and friends waiting to donate so we have decided to raise the target ambitiously, as well as incorporating such powerful Chinese symbolism with the lucky number of 8.

Thank you to those of you who have donated so far, please remind your friends to give generously so we can reach this new target.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by nyjoe4
What is incredibly heartening is how many cabin crew are supporting their HKG colleagues. A brief scroll through the comments section shows that despite decades of management's attempts to weaken organised labour, solidarity among workers remains strong.

I just made a contribution, and in my comments noted that I am a passenger. I encourage others to do the same.

Thank you!!
nyjoe4 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
£45,657 of £88,888 goal. Like the choice of 8’s ...

No. 8 has long been regarded as the luckiest number in Chinese culture. With pronunciation of 'Ba' in Chinese, no. 8 sounds similar to the word 'Fa', which means to make a fortune. It contains meanings of prosperity, success and high social status too

Note the BA and FA references 😌
source https://www.google.com/search?source...31.i-rFAnbYjIw
flygirl68 and T8191 like this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:28 am
Suspended

Saw this https://m.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tr...ffer-hong-kong

Looks like BA is rethinking
rapidex likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by BAEC
£45,657 of £88,888 goal. Like the choice of 8’s ...

No. 8 has long been regarded as the luckiest number in Chinese culture. With pronunciation of 'Ba' in Chinese, no. 8 sounds similar to the word 'Fa', which means to make a fortune. It contains meanings of prosperity, success and high social status too

Note the BA and FA references 😌
source https://www.google.com/search?source...31.i-rFAnbYjIw
Except when it is the typhoon signal in HK
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:47 am
Suspended

oops was not aware of that :-(
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: ECH Gold
Disappointed at the way BA has total disregard for its HKG staff. Having flown the HKG route a few times I was always impressed with the local crew giving tips and advice ,and of course helping the non English speakers. The way this has been handled is dreadful

Last edited by cuspidor; Sep 29, 2018 at 11:14 am Reason: Add hkg
Old Sep 29, 2018, 12:07 pm

Well, quite a lot of people like the No.8 typhoon signal, cause that means no work and school for the day! (except if it is on a public holiday, obviously!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.