Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Print Wikipost

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
My wife and I have an upcoming trip to HKG with BA. We will both have to check for availability of Cantonese speaking crew and if it is lacking compared to previous trips we will make our displeasure known. Since we are both gold and travelling in F it might have a little weight. Although most of the TPs for our gold cards, and the avios paying for the trip came from flying CX J. I rather suspect we will be leaning towards CX even more in future.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Please don’t bother telling the cabin crew as we are all feeling the pain of our colleagues in Hong Kong.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I was thinking of telling the CSD and then following up with abcomplaint, assuming it will be an issue. Is this not the best way?

I appreciate it is unlikely to make a difference to the HK base, but I think it is important to let BA know the value of multilingual, route appropriate crew.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Please don’t bother telling the cabin crew as we are all feeling the pain of our colleagues in Hong Kong.
Just tell BA, as a CSD I have no influence with any BA management.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please help with our appeal, we have collected nearly £17,000 in just two hours.
Tiger_lily, BABenchley and MFCC like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Premier (Level 1), Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond (via BA)
Were is the appeal?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA
https://www.gofundme.com/help-suppor...ed-ba-hkg-crew
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry a bit slow there, beaten to it.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Nearly 10 years ago to the day when it was announced the GLA base would close with the loss of 130 jobs.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
I am no legal pro but it appears BA may be in breach of the IAG GROUP SLAVERY AND HUMAN TRAFFICKING STATEMENT also wouldn't they have consulted local union representatives before proceeding?

https://www.britishairways.com/cms/g...ng_Current.pdf

Our People
The average manpower equivalent for the IAG Group was 63,422 in 20172. IAG expects all employees to be treated
with dignity and respect. Our aspiration is to provide a working environment in which all employees can realise
their potential, free of harassment and discrimination. IAG is committed to ensuring the health and safety of its
employees and has robust policies in place to support this.
The Group has a large unionised workforce represented by a number of different trade unions. Our Operating
Companies consult with employee representative bodies, including trade unions and works councils. During 2017,
IAG established a European Works Council which covers all Group employees within the European Economic
Area, representing over 95% of the total workforce.
Several resources are available across the Group for employees to get advice or to report grievances or any
alleged or actual wrongdoing. There are whistleblowing channels provided by Safecall and Ethicspoint available
throughout the Group, where concerns can be raised on a confidential basis. The IAG Audit and Compliance
Committee reviews the effectiveness of whistleblowing channels on an annual basis. This external service is
available to all our employees and to others working in our supply chain
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
This is sad and appalling and I hope all the donations put together can tide the sacked crew over a few more days.

Best wishes to all involved.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:14 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by icegirl
I am no legal pro but it appears BA may be in breach of the IAG GROUP SLAVERY AND HUMAN TRAFFICKING STATEMENT also wouldn't they have consulted local union representatives before proceeding?

https://www.britishairways.com/cms/g...ng_Current.pdf
That is, to say the least, something of a curveball theory. Clearly, however badly the HK crew have been treated, they are not being trafficked or forced into modern day slavery.

They are also not covered by the European Trade Union agreements, plus we know whatever words IAG puts out what the real attitude to Industrial Relations is.

The issue here is not that BA has broken the law - it clearly hasn’t - but the callous, uncaring, brutal manner of the implementation.
wrp96 and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer

The issue here is not that BA has broken the law - it clearly hasn’t - but the callous, uncaring, brutal manner of the implementation.
The HKG crew are saying that BA are calculating their 'redundancy pay' using their basic salary not monthly pay (which includes flying rates etc).

I would not be confident to say BA "clearly hasn't" broken laws, especially when I don't know those of Hong Kong.
wrp96 and :D! like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
That is, to say the least, something of a curveball theory. Clearly, however badly the HK crew have been treated, they are not being trafficked or forced into modern day slavery.

They are also not covered by the European Trade Union agreements, plus we know whatever words IAG puts out what the real attitude to Industrial Relations is.

I see where you are coming from but I am stating words from what BA has to abide by such as

IAG expects all employees to be treated with dignity and respect.

Our Operating Companies consult with employee representative bodies, including trade unions and works councils

Also why have the HK crew not taken advantage of the "whistleblowing channels"?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MarkFlies

The HKG crew are saying that BA are calculating their 'redundancy pay' using their basic salary not monthly pay (which includes flying rates etc).

I would not be confident to say BA "clearly hasn't" broken laws, especially when I don't know those of Hong Kong.
1) although this would not stand in hk courts, it would stand in the labour tribunal (the tribunal is full of midget judicaries). so they will have to go to higher courts to get the pay properly.
2) carol ng is also the head of CTU (the non-communist backing trade union in HK) so is massively targeted by commie media.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.