Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA's move from Ataturk to the new Istanbul airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA's move from Ataturk to the new Istanbul airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I've just booked a couple of sectors on TK and there's now a third option over IST & SAW on their website of ISL. I wonder is Ataturk to be redesignated as I understood the new airport was to be IST or is it new airport new code. Anyway I tried it and it booked for January.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by lhrpete
I've just booked a couple of sectors on TK and there's now a third option over IST & SAW on their website of ISL. I wonder is Ataturk to be redesignated as I understood the new airport was to be IST or is it new airport new code. Anyway I tried it and it booked for January.
They were planning to use IST for the new airport but of course that was never going to work, so they have hastily gone for ISL for the new one.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Airprox
They were planning to use IST for the new airport but of course that was never going to work, so they have hastily gone for ISL for the new one.
ISL is a temporary IATA code. The new airport will eventually take over the IST code.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/first-...l-new-airport/

Regards
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
ISL is a temporary IATA code. The new airport will eventually take over the IST code.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/first-...l-new-airport/

Regards
"Temporary"
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
"Temporary"
You think it's a lie?

Part of the reason is the two airports will have a short overlap of flights and you cannot have the same IATA code for two concurrently operating airports.

If you have factual source content showing it's not temporary, then do so, but no need to just tilt at windmills and intentionally mislead people out of boredom.

Regards
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
You think it's a lie?

Part of the reason is the two airports will have a short overlap of flights and you cannot have the same IATA code for two concurrently operating airports.

If you have factual source content showing it's not temporary, then do so, but no need to just tilt at windmills out of boredom.

Regards
No not a lie at all, just a plan that is much further away than they believe, and may ultimately prove too complicated to bother with.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
BA twitter team have stated that from tomorrow BA will be using the new airport.

Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:19 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Flightradar 24 shows the new airport as operating this morning. There are only TK flights and the majority look like cargo though Ercan on a regular flight number is there too.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
Flightradar 24 shows the new airport as operating this morning. There are only TK flights and the majority look like cargo though Ercan on a regular flight number is there too.
There are five TK regular passenger flights starting there today, 4 domestic plus Baku I believe.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
No not a lie at all, just a plan that is much further away than they believe, and may ultimately prove too complicated to bother with.
I presumed you were being somewhat tongue in cheek and the response you got may have missed that nuance? ;-)
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
It will be a pain going from domestic flights in Turkey (=TK op) to other airlines such as BA. I wonder how long this will carry on?

Still, if all TK flights moved to ISL, it will ease crowding at IST.

I couldn't believe how crowded it was at IST compared to even just a couple of years ago.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:52 am

I had flights booked for today just to see the new airport but when I talked to TK last week, they didn't expect international flights to be operating until 'the end of the year' so I'm changed my flights to February 5th just in case
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Although not bookable as one ticket, TK is selling the switched flights (eg ISL-ESB) as well as the non-switched flights (eg IST-ESB). Which means it's possible to fly ISL-ESB-IST; given the traffic in Istanbul, it would probably be quicker than driving!
SK, Prospero, LTN Phobia and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:49 pm

There are five TK regular passenger flights starting there today, 4 domestic plus Baku I believe.
These are all entirely new flights, so they can say the airport is open but won't affect any of the actual TK operations.

NOTE, Flightradar showing tomorrow and all November flights due in at IST not the new Airport.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:45 am

BA Twitter team still assuring people they are landing at the New Airport and that the new airport as the IATA code IST. Let's hope the pilots are better informed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.