Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA's move from Ataturk to the new Istanbul airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA's move from Ataturk to the new Istanbul airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Reds2011
There speaks the voice of experience!!
are you suggesting i can be bribed, bought, subborned ?

(answers, with the appropriate amount of dollars, gratefully received)
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Relax, they will figure it out.

According to today’s Times reporter on the ground there, it is well in arrears and is likely to open sometime around the 12th of never.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
are you suggesting i can be bribed, bought, subborned ?

(answers, with the appropriate amount of dollars, gratefully received)
Small bills, non sequential I assume

More a comment on the reality of doing business in some places
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Erdogan's spokesman says new airport is 97% complete and will become operational on Oct 29 "as planned and announced to the public." So that's it then
https://www.tccb.gov.tr/haberler/410...esi-gerekiyor-
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (thanks to BOB), UA, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Amex BAPP & Platinum
The mother-in-law is - I am, of course, delighted - coming over to stay with us in 4 weeks' time & will be interesting to hear her 'trip report'....
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ajamieson
Erdogan's spokesman says new airport is 97% complete and will become operational on Oct 29 "as planned and announced to the public." So that's it then
https://www.tccb.gov.tr/haberler/410...esi-gerekiyor-
I wonder what the outstanding 3% is...? Perhaps the LEDs in the runway lights, the metal detectors at security, and the mini-conveyors onto the baggage reclaim belts - each a tiny proportion of the entire airport infrastructure, but all quite important to be 100% there on opening day...
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:55 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Reports beginning to filter through indicate flight operations will not commence until the end of this year or until the beginning of January.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...by-two-months/
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I have a trip via IST (INT-INT) with TK, few days after the alleged opening. So far I didn't receive the slightest communication about going through the new airport, nor there is any notice on TK website.
I'll believe to the opening (and airlines moving in during the first 3 days) when I'll see it.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:51 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I have a LHR-IST-ECN booking for May 2019 and the transit still says Ataturk!
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:56 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
The FCO have published the following advise

On 29 October the new airport in Istanbul is due to open with flights transferring from the existing Ataturk airport between 29 and 31 October. During the transition period, flights are expected to operate simultaneously from both airports. You should allow sufficient time forcheck in, transfers to onward destinations and for potential transfer between the two airports. If you have any questions regarding your flight you should contact your airline for information.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:07 am

Updated travel advice from the FCO

Istanbul’s new airport is due to open on 29 October 2018 with a gradual transfer of flights from Ataturk Airport continuing through to the end of December 2018. In the meantime, many flights will continue to operate into/out of Ataturk Airport. If you have any questions regarding your flight you should contact your airline for information.

Nothing new on the BA website
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Worcester
Updated travel advice from the FCO

Nothing new on the BA website
No change in MMB either which is still telling me my mid Nov flights are operating into and out of Ataturk. I'm happy with that
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:40 am

BA twitter team deny any knowledge of what is going on, the Q&A post on the BA website has been taken down and despite my searches, there seems to be no information on the BA website.

Judging from the local press, only TK will be using the new airport for the next 2 months, and then only new flights which it has just added to it's timetable, which seems a very sensible option. I have found zero references to BA (or any other yabanci airline come to that) moving.

Let's hope someone tells the pilots before flights restart.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
The article I was reading on BBC yesterday, stated that only a small number of flights will operate from there now and the big switch will be end of the year.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46023989
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The contract for the buses may have been sorted out by then, but it's still a shuttle bus service. High volume rapid mass transit, via the metro system, is years away. I'm not looking forward to getting from the new airport to the city even with the Turkish authorities waiting until December to move there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.