Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA's move from Ataturk to the new Istanbul airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA's move from Ataturk to the new Istanbul airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, Avios U.K. IHG diamond, Hilton Diamomd
Looks like it’s not going to plan. From the guardian web site...
”Originally, every airline at Atatürk was supposed to move this weekend, but authorities eventually decided to limit it to Turkish Airlines,”
funny I had an email from BA yesterday telling me I would be going to the new airport next week. It seems not.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having spent a fair bit of time at Ataturk over the years, part of me hopes BA are still there for the Easter weekend so I can say goodbye. Realise you are getting old when an airport terminal you can remember as new is now closing. ��

Last edited by Swanhunter; Apr 6, 2019 at 2:29 am
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Having spent a fair bit of time at Ataturk over the years, part of me hopes BA are still there for the Easter weekend so I can say goodbye. Realise you are getting old when an airport terminal you can remember as new is now closing. ��
Atatürk Airport is already closed for passenger flights. Alongside with all airlines which operated from Atatürk Airport, BA would operate their flights from Istanbul Airport starting from today.
Swanhunter likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
What amused me recently was the huge new terminal at DLM, to/from which BA will shortly be operating (I hope they finish the works before the season starts). It's right next to the old one, which looked rather dwarfed by the big new terminal.
The new DLM terminal opened last summer so BA have already operated to/from it.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Speedbird676
Yes, speedbird676 is true; as far as I know, similar to Mykonos, British Airways didn't contract the only lounge at the airport ( last year ), so it could be the same this year so I would suggest those Club Europe, Exec Bronze, Silver and Gold ( OWR, OWS and OWE ) pax on BA flights to arrive 1h15min-1h30min before departure. Just be aware that online check-in for BA flights from DLM was not available last year as well. Also this route is not elite heavy.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Odiy
”Originally, every airline at Atatürk was supposed to move this weekend, but authorities eventually decided to limit it to Turkish Airlines,”
funny I had an email from BA yesterday telling me I would be going to the new airport next week. It seems not.
The Guardian are misinformed.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Odiy
This is what I got from BA. Atatürk Airport has already been closed for passenger operations

Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:02 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Speedbird676
The staff said something about the section of it having only been open about 2-3 months ago though, and that conversation was 2 days ago.

There is still a lot going on at the terminal as there were still bare walls onto which they were putting on some cladding.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:13 am

It opened but a lot of the finish was very bad. I’m not surprised there is still work going on. I flew through it in September, October and December.

I probably wouldn’t have opened it in the state it was in!
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze

Has anyone flown to IST yet? Things look really good so far despite all the doomsday predictions!

what a beast of an airport and even with 2 partielle runways a lot of capacity for ops from the go as it’s a 24/7 airport.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Has anyone flown to IST yet? Things look really good so far despite all the doomsday predictions!
I have flown 10 times from Istanbul Airport and 8 times to Istanbul Airport since the opening date. Nothing bad currently as the predictions made beforehand. Everything is OK for the moment.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:33 am

The new IST seems to be functioning ok, although transferring can be a nightmare, with angry and stressed staff. 30-45min taxi seems to be normal, so are remote (and hanger!) stands. TK rudeness aside, my main issue with the new airport is how cheap it looks. A lot of the furniture/facilities seem to have been transferred from Ataturk and are in a poor state. Floors are dirty, escalators look rotten, some signage leads to nowhere. Restaurant areas are crammed. Probably the cheapest looking new terminal I’ve seen, I’d put it on par with DXB. Reminds me of LTN in many aspects. Appropriate match for TK’s product though.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Are the prices the same? €11 for a beer etc?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suppose you haven't spent much time in China though, where the buildings always look impressive and the insides are garbage and falling apart .
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by dubistokay
... Reminds me of LTN in many aspects. Appropriate match for TK’s product though.

Be interested to hear what upset you about TK service.

If it's the airline's customer service via email or phone, I understand completely!
But for the rest, it's Just Another Airline - but with some nice extra touches

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.