Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Airports in which you don't bother to use BA lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:51 am
Original Poster

I don't feel it's been a conscious decision, but increasingly I don't use BA's (or oneworld's or other partners') lounge offerings in terminals such as SFO International A or JNB International, whereas as at other terminals (GLA, JNB Domestic for example), I do. It depends on the state of the lounges on offer, but also what the public spaces are like. The various CCRs are an exception.

Out of curiosity, for those with BA lounge access, in which airports do you forego the BA/ow/partner lounge in favour of the public areas?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:55 am

Cairo

Up until the new lounge opened recently anyway. It was a waste of time to go through to the First Class lounge and have to come back through security scanners again prior to heading to gate so I didn't use to bother
AnaTravel, LHR FLYER and Marschel like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I can't imagine not using the BA lounge at JNB international. It's the evening, there's an overnight flight ahead of me, and often it's been hot or quite warm all day. Even if I only use the shower, I'm in there.

The same goes for most of my long-haul flights, as they are almost all similarly overnight. If a lounge with a shower is offered, it'll be used.
stewaran and littlefish like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I agree with most of the above examples. I avoided CAI too because of the multiple security screens. Re-JNB, for international flights, I'm still really sad we can't use the SLOW lounge instead of the rubbish BA one. I dislike SFO and often go just before boarding. I also don't even bother with the F area which is even more cramped and more full than the main area. There are several European outstations where I don't bother, and also several airports where I avoid the BA lounge in favour of an existing alternative be it OW or priority pass or Amex.
newyorklondon and AnaTravel like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Heathrow terminal 3
xtommox, etiene, Mordac and 39 others like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:35 am

I don't go to too many airports where BA actually has a lounge. The ones where i do have clearly better alternative offerings:

LHR T3 - CX
SIN - QF

I never used to bother with the BA lounge at HKG either and it would take something pretty special if they ever decided to reopen it.
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
If I have time to spare I will always go to the lounge even if it is grotty, because it's still better than being outside it. However if I have people to meet, shopping to do or something in particular that I want to eat, then I will do those things in favour of the lounge whichever airport I am in.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I don't think I "forego the BA/ow/partner lounge in favour of the public areas" (which was the question in the first post) in any airports I go to often if I want to sit down somewhere and wait. At AMS and some other airports, I may seek food elsewhere because the food offering in the lounge is very meagre. I have never been to Cairo, so I can't say what I would do there.

I may well go to a different Oneworld lounge than the BA one, but that's not the question asked. Foregoing any lounge is a more interesting question than picking which lounge - which airports have public areas that are overall better than the lounge? (Cairo, as mentioned, due to security).
newyorklondon and silonic like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
IST which is just dreadful. With the additional security screening I don’t know why they bother as you can’t spend more than a few minutes in there anyway.
ajamieson likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Lhr t3 = cx
sin = qf
pek = cx (not a BA lounge but a really bad independent [BRS?] that BA push all customers to)

However, I always use a lounge over general areas or restaurants.

Last edited by GlasgowCyclops; Sep 2, 2018 at 7:04 am Reason: answering the Q?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: BA (GGL-GFL); AC (SE)
It’s a good question. Lounges can be pretty depressing places and I’d often prefer to be in a public space. JNB is a good example. I tend to opt instead for the Mugg & Bean cafe/restaurant which is spacious and has views of the airfield.
newyorklondon likes this.

Programs: BAEC, HHonours, IHG, Bonvoy, KFC Colonel's club
Berlin Tegel
Bordeaux
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
Foregoing any lounge is a more interesting question than picking which lounge - which airports have public areas that are overall better than the lounge?
Yes, that's what interests me. Maybe a Mod might re-title the thread to better reflect the more detailed question in the first post.

It might be that the public areas are outstanding, or that the hassle of getting to the lounge is not really worth it, or that the public areas are generally less crowded than the lounge, or that the lounges are really not looked after very well, or a combination of any of these and other points.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
I don't feel it's been a conscious decision, but increasingly I don't use BA's (or oneworld's or other partners') lounge offerings in terminals such as SFO International A or JNB International, whereas as at other terminals (GLA, JNB Domestic for example), I do. It depends on the state of the lounges on offer, but also what the public spaces are like. The various CCRs are an exception.

Out of curiosity, for those with BA lounge access, in which airports do you forego the BA/ow/partner lounge in favour of the public areas?
None so far, in my "limited" experience
I can have the "let's check the bookstore or another shop" moment, or going to the gate early because I'm always afraid to be late, but for me the convenience of a lounge is enough to exchange it for public areas, time permitting of course.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The one at FCO is fairly crap, but FCO is generally pretty terrible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.