Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Airports in which you don't bother to use BA lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airports in which you don't bother to use BA lounges

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
I suspect many on here using any of the BA lounges in LHR T5 might disagree
You know you just made me realize I probably never used an airside public restroom in T5? Just the ones at the baggage reclaim area. Anyway, as much as I don't find GC/GF and CCR restrooms adequate for the kind of lounge they are in, I never found them dirty. Not the same I can say about the public ones...
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
Originally Posted by mauzac
I certainly second TLS - on the Shengen/domestic side, dark, dingy with very limited food and drink options......

At least the cafeterias have some choice and a bit of light.
TLS is undergoing a huge makeover right now and at the end of the year there will be even more choice Airside. The lounge is having a makeover upstairs as part of this but I am not sure the sentiment will change that it is better outside (especially with a Pret opening).

ZRH is the other lounge on the BA network where you will probably have a more enjoyable experience in the Terminal. [Edited to add that this relates to the rather gloomy Aspire in the Main Terminal and not the satellite E Gates as pointed out by rossmacd below]

Last edited by Robespierre; Sep 4, 2018 at 1:12 pm Reason: clarifying ZRH comments
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Robespierre
ZRH is the other lounge on the BA network where you will probably have a more enjoyable experience in the Terminal.
With ZRH being my home base, I'm not sure I can recognise this commment. The Aspire lounge over at E gates has a brilliant panorama balcony area, perfect for watching the airfield movements below. It can get busy, but there is always a seat to be found.

I will agree at that Aspire A/B/D is dimly lit, but the food and drink provisions are exactly the same across both lounges. In fact, Aspire A/B/D was partially closed 2 weeks ago for some renovation, but my next visit I could not tell what was actually done (if anything).
Marschel likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jk156
TXL. Unless I'm super early, what's the point in a landside lounge at the wrong end of the airport?
Originally Posted by Cheny
Agreed. To be fair it is an old airport and BA probably didn't bother to refurbish it as they were planning to move to Berlin Brandenburg - BER

Oh I almost forgot this recent one: Bucharest
Though technically speaking it isn't a BA/OW owned lounge but a 3rd party lounge
I can't really see how you could have an 'airside' lounge at TXL, unless it was a tiny gate lounge?

Also, I have never been in the BA lounge at TXL, but I have been in the priority pass lounge there and there's no way the BA lounge can possibly be worse.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Rewards Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by N1120A
The one at FCO is fairly crap, but FCO is generally pretty terrible.
Do you mean the old one at FCO (which was awful) or the new one (that opened in March/April this year) which I quite liked when I was there in May?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
I’m happy someone mentioned ORD, it is dire, if your connecting on a AA domestic stay in the flagship lounge, then take the awful shuttle bus over to T5 for the flight
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
I found the Geneva lounge to be very underwhelming. Ended up spending about 20 minutes there but was super busy and nothing really to commend it
dnajockey likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by aidy
I’m happy someone mentioned ORD, it is dire, if your connecting on a AA domestic stay in the flagship lounge, then take the awful shuttle bus over to T5 for the flight
plus 1 for that. But don’t leave it too late. Shuttle bus can take ages.
aidy likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
I'm sure Sr Cruz has his minions monitoring this thread.

I'm expecting an e-mail any day now.......

'After taking onboard customer feedback, we are removing lounge access at ...........'
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
I generally don’t use lounges, as I like to get to the airport at the last possible moment and then just sit and people watch at the gate. Only one I really use is GLA to pop in and say hi, and on occasion GF when I have a BA delay.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by ShuttleRunner
I generally don’t use lounges, as I like to get to the airport at the last possible moment
Exactly this - lounge time is wasted time. I'd much rather be longer in the city I'm visiting, or longer in bed.

When connecting, I'll always have the shortest possible connection (closest to MCT) so reducing the need to visit a lounge.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
for me any OW lounge that has a decent shower is fine, other then that, I rather spend time people watching and a good pint of stella at the bar
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:15 am

I'm not as well versed in lounges as many others here are, but I think the lounges reflect the airport they are in as well as BA's market position. BA lounges are "adequate" but not exceptional which is a fit description for BA itself.
I was in SIN last night and I thought it was a nice space with surprisingly nice food. But then you could say that about the rest of SIN. Is there a more efficient airport on this planet?

GVA, NCE, IAH, DXB...these are all nice but nothing that will blow you away...but then they don't have to. They just have to be a bit nicer than sitting in the public areas to appeal or tick the box that says: we have a lounge offering.
LGW is the only lounge I've been in where I thought...this is better than I was expecting but that probably says more about LGW than the lounge.

T5 - I always feel it should be so much better that it is, but once I've hiked up there...it's not like the rest of T5 is any better.
I'm constantly disappointed by T3 but always pop in for a cookie and maybe a dinner but I never stick around. I prefer to wander a bit and observe.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The_Diamond_Z
I'm not as well versed in lounges as many others here are, but I think the lounges reflect the airport they are in as well as BA's market position.
This is a great point.

LGW, GLA etc, these are simply 'fine' BA lounges, but - for me - they exceed the benefits of the public areas. Whereas I find the advantages of the BA lounges in SFO, AMS, ORD, JFK (not CCR) etc. not immediately obvious when compared to the public areas.

Last edited by newyorklondon; Sep 5, 2018 at 3:10 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by seat1C
Do you mean the old one at FCO (which was awful) or the new one (that opened in March/April this year) which I quite liked when I was there in May?
I meant the old one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.