Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BoB - Success, Failure or just head in the clouds?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BoB - Success, Failure or just head in the clouds?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Well, because of BOB, I fly LH instead of BA. Go figure.
Should I call my broker? Is BA about to fail?
DYKWIA and obduro like this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Ahah, well, believe it or not, I have friends, family and co-workers who fly once or twice a year too. While I would never interpret the behaviour of a few people as evidence of the vast majority, I certainly do not read their anecdotal behaviour the same way as yours, and indeed, I find many an occasional flyer typically choosing the legacy carrier over the low cost one when the legacy carrier costs £48 and the low cost £41 even when I precisely point out to them that I would go U2 myself. Maybe that is due to some assumptions about causality that you seem to make here? For example:

This is of course an extremely leading question, and simply not the way the choices are set in real life. BoB was never about transferring saved costs to the passengers, in fact, BA management was always very clear and honest about that (unlike the HBO model were that claim was made).
Of course it's a leading question, but so is the "are you annoyed to lose free snacks and refreshments on a flight?" which is the way it essentially gets presented in these threads. On the point of why people still take legacy carriers when there are lower cost fares and on a more or less subjective basis equalised service standards, this is largely to do with emotional responses to brands. It "feels" better to be on Lufthansa or BA than Ryanair. Actually it's wrong to say that the ultimate aim is to get to the lowest price and that that will always win. What you need to achieve is to be in the first page of results so that people consider you and you have a chance to sell your brand proposition as long as it holds good.

You may say that BA's brand proposition would be more attractive if it had free F&B, and probably that's the bet AF and Lufthansa are taking, but BA are clearly taking the view that taking cost out is a better strategy. Obviously if your friends are taking BA rather than Easyjet and paying a price premium then they're not all that bothered about BoB. There are a lot of people posting here (in the FT bubble) who aren't either. I'm not sitting in an airline boardroom, but I was being taken to task for claiming "the vast majority" aren't bothered by BoB, and I'm defending that statement rather than the overall strategy.

[Removal of sections of the original post don't mean I'm dismissing them, quite the contrary. Good points all, just that there's a lot to deal with, usually removal means I don't have an effective counter-argument]

Legacy carriers (BA included) cannot compete on cost alone. That is a bare fact. Their entire structure of operation is more expensive and that means that somehow they have three options: 1) fly different routes and customers (see below), 2) be more expensive and hope that people still book them based on inertia or prejudice alone, 3) be more expensive and retain some specific benefits which they hope will retain them some custom for a given price difference (in which case, a sense of hospitality based on free F&B is neither more nor less absurd than some of the ones that they are keeping now.
Option 4 is to align cost structure with LCC. In fact these are not mutually exclusive, and BA are (1) flying different routes and expanding Gatwick operations, they are (2) maintaining some level of price premium on low cost fares even though these are effectively unbundled in the same way as a LCC, the fact I can justify a like for like comparison as lower cost is entirely because I have status, which is anachronistic in the model, (3) having CE available for those who value it. And they are addressing (4) in various ways, the most obvious being mixed fleet operation, but also to the extent where cost cutting is an internal priority. These options operate over time, but the end point trend they are heading towards is one where debundling is the norm, and where I expect frequent flyer schemes become more overhead than benefit, in the same way that similar schemes have been squeezed out of supermarkets and credit card deals. I agree that F&B is a token cost cut, but it's part of the wider picture of aligning with the end point of the inevitable long term trend.

PS: In terms of your answer to my counter-factual questions, I am missing the logic of your AF-KL answer. You invest a lot of time and energy in arguing that BoB is what people want, but you then say that AF and KL don't use it because they are in crisis and don't want to "rock the boat". Surely, if that is what the people want and they are in crisis that should be even more of a reason for them to introduce this urgently? As for the notion that Germany is just a more conservative country, I'll admit that I am just jealous of whatever means you've found to block the sounds of Mr Rees-Mogg, blue passports, and references to the good old days but let me not get OT
I'm not in the boardrooms of the airlines involved, and you're misrepresenting my argument which is not that BoB is what people want, but that people on the whole aren't as bothered about it as posters here suggest. But I'm pretty sure AF and KLM will have their priorities set around other things than changing the onboard catering because they have existential questions to deal with. Specifically the labour relations issues that BA have largely already covered. And it's disingenuous to bring in Rees-Mogg and Brexit and other things leading to a caricature of attitudes to Europe to discredit the perfectly reasonable observation that Germany is a conservative country by and large. I don't say that's necessarily a bad thing, but it does shape the way they will approach change of any sort. But I can only speculate, and I didn't say that people want BoB, I said that they are not overwhelmingly against it. And as others have said, the chorus of "this will lose BA masses of business" has been proved incorrect.

One thing that I fully agree with you with is that low cost airlines represent a major challenge to European legacy carriers. What I think, however, is that what makes this really interesting is that this is not the only one. European legacy carriers are in fact embroiled in a triple competitive threat:

- from one another - that is the "classic" scenario of BA, LH, AF, and friends all fighting for the same passengers to a large extent and it is not going away;
- from low cost airlines - indeed, a major threat notably on point to point European traffic from their hubs and now increasingly on the - so far more protected - long haul network. The short haul thread is the 1990s one and now largely mature, the long haul one is the 2010s one and the newest of all;
- from ME3 and other major new international competitors. That may be the 2000s threat but has again matured in the meantime, and in many ways, EK, for instance has some of the same argument (in terms of an incredibly dense European network) for long haul to the South and East and low cost airlines to the West.

That means that European airlines can't afford to think of their competitive environment as unidimensional (as it would be if it was only about low cost airlines competing on fares on European point to point) but have to compete simultaneously on cost and quality, on p2p passengers and on connecting ones, on domestic market and on both European and international ones.

I think that this is what makes the race so interesting but also so complex, and I suggest that any hope for a quick fix or obvious solutions, however embraced by any flyertalker, are actually not anything that airline leaders themselves would share so enthusiastically. In fact, in the secrecy of IAG meetings, I suspect that AC and WW are a lot less reassured and 'happy' about the situation than you are on their behalf and are still wondering which part of their current would map to navigate such a narrow straight will and will not prove right.
I agree with this almost completely, the one difference being that I certainly didn't say that AC and WW are sitting rubbing their hands in satisfaction at a masterplan coming to successful fruition. I'm fairly sure what I said was "relatively happy", i.e. AC is happier this year than last, which was dreadful. But it seems that the other legacy players are mostly looking to target market share growth from each other, where IAG are setting their sights at parking their tanks on the LCC lawns where there is more to go at but they have to re-engineer their business model. And obviously decreasing expectations on SH and sucking up the reactions to change in the initial period following that means they reset the base perception of the service to give them more leeway elsewhere.

I guess to conclude, I'd say that really my point here is that you can construct a logical path leading to BoB, and that its introduction hasn't led to a wave of dissatisfaction leading to market share loss which has been one of the suggestions from the more irate BoB opponents. In fact in both of our experience, it's a non-issue with infrequent flyers, and in your experience (which I can accept because I do it myself) people are irrationally still willing to pay a premium for BA. And there are at least schools of thought amongst frequent flyers.
Andriyko and orbitmic like this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
...Is there any airline that is offering both included "snack/meal" and is also offering a comprehensive food for purchase on board?...
It’s common in the US on Alaska, JetBlue and Southwest for a soft drink and snack to be complimentary and other items are available for purchase.
IAN-UK, orbitmic and obduro like this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Well, I think that with your last answer, we actually agree on most things except the bit where you say that you think a vast majority of occasional flyers are not bothered by BoB and my saying that it must be a close call since BA are not reverting but others are not imitating for the rest, and thus in a way the overall conclusion where you feel BoB is a success and I say that I'm guessing it must be neither a resounding success nor a resounding failure.

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Of course it's a leading question, but so is the "are you annoyed to lose free snacks and refreshments on a flight?" which is the way it essentially gets presented in these threads.

[…] And as others have said, the chorus of "this will lose BA masses of business" has been proved incorrect.

I fully agree. "Do you dislike paying for food and drink on a flight" would be just as misleading, but you'll observe that I never suggested asking that either. As I mentioned, I'm deeply of the belief that most human action is largely subconscious anyway and that in practice decision making is a lot more complex than anything I've seen discussed on those threads. People don't just choose the cheapest, they don't just choose the best time or the most convenient, they just don't choose the best service, they don't just choose based on past experience, etc. I think our brain considers an enormous amount of information, some weighted heavily, some more marginally, some rationally and some emotionally or symbolically, and comes up with a decision that integrates all of it. The emphasis on the various ingredients will even vary a lot not only depending on the person but also depending on the trip, the circumstances, how they are travelling and with whom etc.

Now I do think there are ways of measuring the impact of something like BoB on purchasing behaviour. BA probably have some of the information but to my knowledge it is not public. Even in surveys, this would be quite possible to do using things such as implicit questions as well as some a number of survey experiments, but interestingly, commercial survey companies (let alone internal communication units, which typically handle customer feedback analysis for major airlines even though they are not scientifically trained to do this properly) are usually pretty poor at doing that so I wouldn't even bet that BA has evaluated that. In fairness, the impact on demand and yields is probably what matters most to them.

Similarly, I've never suggested that BoB would lead to a massive exodus of customers so I'm not in a position to explain or argue that argument (I've explained what made me think that the outcome is probably not super clear, and why I suspect that it is likely to be more positive with P2P and potentially more problematic with connecting pax).

BTW, the point you make on emotional responses to brands is - in my view - entirely correct, but that precisely has powerful impact on repeat purchase behaviour, especially where that emotional response is not based pure prejudice but on personal experience (hence my example earlier of the "hair that [can] break the camel's back" when you are asked to pay for a glass of sparkling water or a coffee after multiple travel incidents in your WT+ flight), and as others have mentioned, complimentary F&B can symbolically be part of that image an airline wants to project - in fact, that is very much why BA had organised its entire advertising strategy mere months before introducing BoB!

You may say that BA's brand proposition would be more attractive if it had free F&B, and probably that's the bet AF and Lufthansa are taking, but BA are clearly taking the view that taking cost out is a better strategy.

We are pretty close on that too. What I'm saying is that BA, AF and LH undoubtedly all agree that ending free F&B certainly has a cost on brand perception, in the same way they undoubtedly all agree it can lead to significant cost savings on short haul operations (airlines' margins are so small that even a £1 or 2 pp is not a negligible saving where it can be achieved). I also suspect that they would largely agree with me that the bigger risk is probably on high margin connecting pax such as WT+ and semi-flex and flex Y. Critically, those are very lucrative segments (a while ago, I had heard from a major BA competitor that W and full fare Y were actually their two most lucrative segments, well ahead of C/J).

What they seem to disagree on is how it evens out at the end. BA are clearly expecting that the overall result is positive and AF and LH that they are better off not following suit. If I were to make a very wild guess on that, by the way, I would probably look at a mix of 1) BA facing a harsher competition on short haul P2P because they face both U2 and FR from London at the same time and I think that it has affected their position more, 2) BA having recently been less dependent on the transfer market because of the strong economic situation in the UK in the past 20 years (but as I was mentioning, the medium term uncertainty is now higher for the UK than for Germany or France), and 3) AF and LH lagging behind BA in terms of connecting Premium Economy as well as high loyalty and hoping that maintaining free F&B will give them a chance to regaining shares from BA on those two critical segments. In particular, LH was very late in the PE game, and AF-KL lost a lot of strong loyalty to BA when FB took a significant turn for the worse a few years ago and have been very keen on trying to regain some of it in the past 2-3 years. In fact, LH is also pretty open about the fact that they are keeping free F&B (and some other goodies) essentially for connecting purposes hence their divergence between the mainline and Eurowings service propositions.

Incidentally, if I move on to an even wilder guess, I'd be almost ready to bet that BA were persuaded that their move to BoB would be trend-setting (in fact AC and WW almost said as much!) and that AF and LH would follow suit. I'm pretty certain that they would have preferred them to follow suit too! This hasn't happened at this stage. Maybe they still hope that they will, maybe they won't, but I am pretty sure that BA's original models on the impact of long haul considered and at least hoped that they would not be the only one of the "Big 3" going there.

In fact, in terms of "observation value", I think that the question of how long divergence on something that fundamental can survive is one of the questions I find most puzzling and interesting here! I'm genuinely wondering if we can have another 2 or 3 years with such a critical difference, ie without either AF and LH emulating BA and moving to BoB on mainline, or BA giving up and restoring some sort of free service, or something in between with a more "US model" type things with everyone offering soft drinks or so and meals going away on all but the longest routes. Of course, the European Big 3 are less integrated than the US Big 3, but still....

Option 4 is to align cost structure with LCC. In fact these are not mutually exclusive, and BA are (1) flying different routes and expanding Gatwick operations, they are (2) maintaining some level of price premium on low cost fares even though these are effectively unbundled in the same way as a LCC, the fact I can justify a like for like comparison as lower cost is entirely because I have status, which is anachronistic in the model, (3) having CE available for those who value it. And they are addressing (4) in various ways, the most obvious being mixed fleet operation, but also to the extent where cost cutting is an internal priority.

Option 4 is indeed the big question - can they align so closely that they lose the competitive disadvantage. It's an open bet and I agree that MF and changes to employees' contracts are the boldest move by any major European airline to date (if one I personally feel heartbroken about as I think that BA are treating some of their crew very unfairly but that is another debate). I'm pretty sure that neither AF nor KL would be able to do the same (KL maybe). Of course, to make things even more complicated, what Brexit will change to the competitive scene will also matter here and none of us can double guess it as yet.

In terms of how this works out. on your point 1, I actually tended to think that BA would choose to go low cost aggressively at LGW and remain full service at LHR. I'll admit that I was completely wrong and none of my predictions on that front have occurred. Maybe the fact is that LGW is too close to LHR (and still sufficiently convenient) for the sort of internal competition within the brand that this would provoke to be viable.

And it's disingenuous to bring in Rees-Mogg and Brexit and other things leading to a caricature of attitudes to Europe to discredit the perfectly reasonable observation that Germany is a conservative country by and large.

You may feel that it is disingenuous and that the argument was perfectly reasonable but I just actually disagree with it. I just don't think that Germany is a more conservative country than Britain on those fronts (though it is on some others such as family) so I was merely illustrating my actual belief that there are some expressions on conservatism that are seen as perfectly normal and acceptable in the UK that would never float in Germany or for that matter in any other Western European country (it might in Poland and a few other countries further east).

To be honest, I don't think that a particularly central question anyway so we can probably afford to disagree on whether German society is conservative or not without much impact on the rest of the discussion! I've spelt out my alternative explanations as to why the strategic choices of LH, AF, etc have differed from those of BA so far but again I'm the first to admit that mine are also only guesses anyway.

And glad you agree on the 'complex' competitive scene. To me, that is really the crux of the matter and possibly the most important contextual element here. It's almost like a game of communicating vases: you need to change x to gain/regain type A passengers from competitor type 1, but the moment you do it, you'll lose (or re-lose) type B passengers to competitor type B, etc. What is more, you think that those passenger groups are discreet but they are not, so your business passengers also happen to be leisure family crowd once a year with their wife and three kids, and if you lose them on this then you might lose their high contribution business travel too! It's all complex and inter-twined, and of course, the three key types of competitors are not merely idle whilst you decide on your changes, so you may even explore a change route for 6 months and decide what you think is best, and in the meantime, competitor x have announced a change of their own which completely challenges your understanding of the competitive scene.

I guess in a way, I'm just trying to propose that we restore some of that complexity in a discussion which has perhaps simplified things a bit too much to my taste, though I accept that this invariably results in unduly long and boring and complicated posts on my part.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I use Cityflyer where possible if using BA. Still get a 'free' drink and snack.
obduro likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:28 am
Suspended

Airlines most significant costs are the provision of aircraft and fuel. The provision of a 24.75p 2 litre bottle of water and a 44.3p snack per 10 economy passenger per short haul sector isn’t significant at all.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by richardwft
Airlines most significant costs are the provision of aircraft and fuel. The provision of a 24.75p 2 litre bottle of water and a 44.3p snack per 10 economy passenger per short haul sector isn’t significant at all.
Bob Crandall might beg to differ.
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Bob Crandall might beg to differ.
Saving $40,000 is negligible and insignificant when you aren’t perfecting your aircraft costs and utilisation and making costly mistakes such as MRTC.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Saving $40,000 is negligible and insignificant when you aren’t perfecting your aircraft costs and utilisation.
Well, what I do know is that Bob Crandall is an industry legend, and not only for this anecdote.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Well, what I do know is that Bob Crandall is an industry legend, and not only for this anecdote.
He is and BA sensibly copied one of his ideas to their aadvantage.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Sep 3, 2018 at 6:53 am
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by subject2load

Nothing wrong at all !

Though safe to say it’s a long, long time since BA and the term innovation have been remotely synonymous ; a point highlighted (in somewhat amusing fashion, to give him credit) by Sr.Cruz, when discussing his own airline’s outdated CW seat offering.

Yes, as I keyed in my post I was trying to conjure up anything innovative in the recent decades of BA. I came up with the CW seats, and Concorde... and perhaps WT+, though not too sure that was a BA first.

I suppose there's something creative in the way they interpret the best interests, the wishes, hopes and aspirations of their passengers, but....
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
...perhaps WT+, though not too sure that was a BA first...
I think they copied Virgin.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the point of why people still take legacy carriers when there are lower cost fares and on a more or less subjective basis equalised service standards, this is largely to do with emotional responses to brands.
Yay! We've got there. Decisions to take BA or another carrier on a short-haul trip aren't simply transactional in terms of adding on the cost of a tea and a biscuit, as you seem to suggest elsewhere. There's a significant subjective process involved, coloured by emotional responses to the brand.

In the case of BA, the emotional element is charged not by whether there's a cost for refreshments, but that the airline took the complimentary service away.

That annoyed some frequent flyers, but i reckon a lot more will have a subliminal adjustment to assessing carriers. So it's likely a number of regular passenger will reduce in some way they business the do with BA.

Some, perhaps many, are happy with the move, and will stay with the airline.

But it's difficult for me to see how the change in service is going to bring in new passengers, win them over from the Lufthansas and the easyJets. If any came over, let's hope hey were on flights where BoB worked, and were not put off by the amateurish way it was implemented.

Interesting, too, will be the reaction of infrequent travellers, returning to BA and discovering the on-board service is not so generous as their union-jack tinted memories would have it.

And yes, yes, I know that lower costs give scope for lower fares to attract new passengers. But the savings must be nugatory in the scheme of operating costs: deck chairs on the Titanic.
truncated likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
...And yes, yes, I know that lower costs give scope for lower fares to attract new passengers. But the savings must be nugatory in the scheme of operating costs: deck chairs on the Titanic.
Did you mean to say nugatory?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you mean to say nugatory?

Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.