Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Really BA? [wine dispensers in IAD lounge]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
one does not need to have driven a Ferrari to determine that it does not position itself at the same place in the market as a Skoda Fabia,
Cars are a good comparison to use, because someone further up this thread talked about "better quality wine". What is the definition of quality? The dictionary says "the standard of something as measured against other things of a similar kind". So obviously a Ferrari is a better quality car than a Skoda... Well, it typically doesn't work out that way. When you take in to account all of the different points of measurement, quality actually ends up as a measure against expectation. For the vast majority of people, a Ferrari would actually be an inferior car - both in terms of suitability and in terms of reliability. Even pre-VAG ownership, when surveying owners, Skoda's quality ranking came out higher than the likes of Ferrari, because they consistently met or exceeded expectation. I work in the software industry, and our definition of quality is based upon an acceptable level of defects within a software release, and where we draw that line has a huge impact on how our clients rank our quality.

The same can be said for wine. Actually, the same could be said for a fried chicken shop on Tottenham High Road versus a Michelin starred restaurant. If you crave a piece of greasy fried chicken, where is likely to do it better? And I've seen many "known" restaurants with lower food hygiene scores than your high street takeaways.

The question for BA in its lounge then becomes, is it "good enough". Their measure may be based upon the net score of the wine (i.e. the number of complaints versus the number of compliments (because some may compliment BA because they now no longer have to chase down a fresh bottle, for example)). Stay above a determined score and they're doing OK.

Remember, the measure of quality for most, when having a class of wine, is does it taste nice. So until you've tasted it...
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I’m in the IAD lounge at the moment. The wine dispensers are present and for the purists, there are also bottles of Nexo Rioja and Pinot Grigio
Attached Images  
HIDDY and T8191 like this.

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 27, 2018 at 8:03 pm Reason: Add photo
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
It would be nice if Prospero did a quick taste of the 'draught' wine and reported back!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by T8191
It would be nice if Prospero did a quick taste of the 'draught' wine and reported back!
While I did feel there was an obligation to try a glass, I really wasn't in much of a mood for wine when I was in. Sorry about that. I was in a mood for a Bloody Mary but sadly none of the essential ingredients were available, but that's a gripe for another day.

I am also thinking perhaps the "draught" wines might be in place for the Priority Pass crowd who use this lounge up to 2pm each day. If so, perhaps the bottled stuff is brought out when BA takes over.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
What? No “Mr & Mrs T” tomato juice mixer? I’m appalled!!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Bonhams restaurant in Mayfair uses an Enomatic machine which looks pretty fancy. So it's definitely not always mediocre wines in dispensers.
Today I came across Enomatic machines in the wine bar of the David Jones food hall in Sydney. They do look pretty fancy and I certainly wouldn’t be disappointed to see these in an airport lounge.

DeathSlam likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:21 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother

Today I came across Enomatic machines in the wine bar of the David Jones food hall in Sydney. They do look pretty fancy and I certainly wouldn’t be disappointed to see these in an airport lounge.

They have them in the QF lounges... you can buy Grange by the glass with QF points.
T8191 and WickedStepMother like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
Originally Posted by amt
They have them in the QF lounges... you can buy Grange by the glass with QF points.
I haven't checked the make of the machine, but the domestic SLOW lounge at JNB has a machine like this. (I haven't checked whether these are in the other SLOW lounges, either, for that matter - this may have been an addition when the JNB lounge was refurbished recently.) I didn't try it, but there appeared to be a card in the requisite slot with plenty of credit on it.
WickedStepMother likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.