Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Really BA? [wine dispensers in IAD lounge]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
I honestly don't understand what you mean.
I meant that the below particular of the photo posted earlier (the spray reminds me of the Dettol antibacterial spray I use at home) is everything but a premium sight you would expect in an airport lounge where frequent flyers and premium passengers are in attendance. Not to mention the view of "wine" being extraced from those canisters, but that I already mentioned

Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by frandrake
I meant that the below particular of the photo posted earlier (the spray reminds me of the Dettol antibacterial spray I use at home) is everything but a premium sight you would expect in an airport lounge where frequent flyers and premium passengers are in attendance. Not to mention the wine being extraced from those canisters, but that I already mentioned

I don't see why the wine would be any different whether extracted from the canister or from a bottle.

As for the spray. I can appreciate you feel it an affront to frequent flyers and premium travellers but.....well first world problems really. Some people will always find something to complain about.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation

There are some excellent English sparkling wines out there, and a good one is most certainly not out of place on BA F.
I completely agree and "thanks" to global warming we are going to experience even better, richer English sparkling wines. I totally support BA's choice to promote UK products (QF is even more pushy as they only serve Australian sparkling in J) and I wish they did so also in J, but I understand premium UK wine does not have the same economy of scale of Champagne.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:50 am

I don't see why the wine would be any different whether extracted from the canister or from a bottle.

As for the spray. I can appreciate you feel it an affront to frequent flyers and premium travellers but.....well first world problems really. Some people will always find something to complain about.
Indeed, even less than first world. I'd probably say a 1% of the first world problem, but then isn't most of this forum about these issues?

Anyway, my point is that it is useless to debate whether a wine is good or not when it is "extracted", as you say, from canisters. There is no chance in the world that the product in it will be of quality. Quality wine is bottled in glass bottles. Clearly there are awful glass-bottled wines, but if you drink wine from a canister, plastic bottle, etc. you are pretty much sure you are getting low quality thus, in a premium space, it is in my view better to refrain from offering it rather than delivering this experience.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:54 am

Indeed, even less than first world. I'd probably say a 1% of the first world problem, but then isn't most of this forum about these issues?

Anyway, my point is that it is useless to debate whether a wine is good or not when it is "extracted", as you say, from canisters. There is no chance in the world that the product in it will be of quality. Quality wine is bottled in glass bottles. Clearly there are awful glass-bottled wines, but if you drink wine from a canister, plastic bottle, etc. you are pretty much sure you are getting low quality thus, in a premium space, it is in my view better to refrain from offering it rather than delivering this experience.
Sounds like that same tired argument that people usually trot out - I have never tried it but I see it is £10 a bottle online so it must be rubbish.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Does anyone remember Watney’s Red Barrel in party7s? There was a fine keg beverage!
Ahhh - you were definitely an invited guest at parties if you turned up with a ‘7’ - normally I managed to rustle up enough money for a Party 4 !
Teenage life a *cough* few decades ago.
Back OT - I’m really a wine pleb even if I do like drinking it. The worst glass of wine I ever had was from a bottle with a cork.
Screw cap is de rigueur in our household - if I drank enough wine I might be tempted by a bulk package. The only stipulation would be that it tasted good and I enjoyed it.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Why is that, and what makes you the judge of it? Personally I dislike champagne, however I do like a good sparkling English wine. The Ridgeview wines which come from about 2 miles from where I live are award winning and extremely good.

Why is it "seriously worrying"? It is not unusual for buyers to have their own brand names particularly where bought in bulk.

Ah so you haven't even tasted it but you find the procurement "seriously worrying" and have decided it is "cheap and nasty wine". Honestly, some posters do make easy fools of themselves, I must say.

The red label shown in post 1, of course, explains exactly and logically why the wine is presented in this way.

Don't get me wrong I am all for 'Best of British' and all that. I even buy fresh organic produce and stuff from a local farm. Sometimes there are exceptions to the rule and is why this forum like others exists.

The wine in question here, like CWS has kindly pointed out has confirmed this is mass produced and sold to the catering trade. I suspect the quality will be along the lines a Gallo or Barefoot at best, fine for a girls tipple before a night out but certainly not something you want serving in a premium class airline lounge.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Quality wine is bottled in glass bottles.
Didn't people say, once upon a time, that quality wine is closed with corks?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by icegirl
Don't get me wrong I am all for 'Best of British' and all that. I even buy fresh organic produce and stuff from a local farm. Sometimes there are exceptions to the rule and is why this forum like others exists.

The wine in question here, like CWS has kindly pointed out has confirmed this is mass produced and sold to the catering trade. I suspect the quality will be along the lines a Gallo or Barefoot at best, fine for a girls tipple before a night out but certainly not something you want serving in a premium class airline lounge.
So you are just guessing then.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
So you are just guessing then.
Show me an example of someone doing something as tacky like this?
No premium wine producer would allow it..
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:16 pm

Show me an example of someone doing something as tacky like this?
No premium wine producer would allow it..
It's an airline waiting room....we are not talking about Chateau Petrus here. But FT wouldn't be as amusing without the occasional wine snob.
wcel likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
What's wrong with sparkling wine? I would be very curious to taste an English one
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

Unless you've actually tried it you have no idea what it actually tastes like least alone compare it to any other wine.

Studies have been done where the same wine has been served to experts from a bottle with a label and from a bottle with no label. It was the same wine but the label apparently added to the flavour and somehow made it a better wine. Same with the gin snobs who poo poo Lidl gin yet rave about it when they think it's some supposed superior brand.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
My own yardstick is if I go into an estblishment and they only offer “red or white” I’ll ask for a G&T or a beer. Sure, it’s prejudging, but equally I don’t play pin the tail on the donkey in a wine shop either!

dodgeflyer and frandrake like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:36 pm

Sounds like that same tired argument that people usually trot out - I have never tried it but I see it is £10 a bottle online so it must be rubbish.
Of course. I don't need to taste a £1 Parma ham from Lidl to know it's rubbish, even though given the choice I would indeed try it just out of curiosity.

Quality wine is expensive to produce. Even easy varietals like Glera or Sangiovese require time both in the vine and in the cellar to transform into quality wine. When you mass produce you start using chemicals and other procedures that diminish the value of the wine, making it a beverage not worth drinking. At that point it is best to go for a beer or a spirit, which can deliver decent quality at scale.

And yes, if I pay thousands of pounds for a premium ticket I expect a premium service in the airline waiting room. I do not expect a P2, but at least a £10 bottle of wine is not an unreasonable expectation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.