Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Really BA? [wine dispensers in IAD lounge]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GLA
I saw this two weeks ago. It looks really cheap and nasty. I stuck to the Yuengling and IPA!
Bolding mine: Talk about cheap and nasty...
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Sorry but this will definitely be cheap and nasty wine. As no respectable fine wine producer would dare risk their reputation on supplying wines their wine in large magnums or kegs. 1st the step back with champagne in First and now this.

Next time someone is in IAD they should open the bottom and see whats in there!!
psollitt likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
LOL

I am amazed at the quantity of fellow travellers entertaining the idea that this way of serving wine does not necessairly go against quality!

The average red/white lounge wine is already low quality, we definitely do not need this new low.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bse118
Bolding mine: Talk about cheap and nasty...
Hey! That's a PA beer Though we have much, much better beer than yeungling here.
Originally Posted by frandrake
LOL

I am amazed at the quantity of fellow travellers entertaining the idea that this way of serving wine does not necessairly go against quality!

The average red/white lounge wine is already low quality, we definitely do not need this new low.
The quality of this new setup could actually be better than the 'low quality' wine that was there before. It's possible. We don't know just from the "keg' that it's necessarily terrible. A local pizzeria is using wine on tap and it's actually pretty solid and similar in quality to any bottle at the price point.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Well, anything that can improve the quality of wine in the IAD (washington dulles) lounge will be an improvement.
I consistently find that the IAD lounge, both the main lounge and the Corcorde Dining are cheap and nasty.
Sorry to be blunt, but my experiences there over the last 3 years have always been very poor indeed, bad food, bad wine,
miserable service, pre-flight dining(first)/supper(club0 consistently awful.
Notably inferior to ORD and JFK.
Anything they do will be an improvement.
I won't know, because I have chosen not to use BA at this airport any longer and they have lost my custom.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by airb330
The quality of this new setup could actually be better than the 'low quality' wine that was there before. It's possible. We don't know just from the "keg' that it's necessarily terrible. A local pizzeria is using wine on tap and it's actually pretty solid and similar in quality to any bottle at the price point.
No doubt, but we are really debating about wines not worth drinking. At that price point a beer or a gin tonic is far better IMO.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: BAEC
Living in France, I often visit the local vineyard and ask them to fill up an old black bin with their petrol pump. Keeps me happy for a few days.
When I can only get to the supermarket, I have to make do with small 10 litre boxes of the old cardboardeaux.

How do people manage drinking these ridiculously small bottles I've seen recently?!

On a serious note, the best night I've ever had in an airport was in IAD, with one of the best barmen I've ever met. I hope he's not now redundant.

Tchin Tchin.
flyer200 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by icegirl
Sorry but this will definitely be cheap and nasty wine. As no respectable fine wine producer would dare risk their reputation on supplying wines their wine in large magnums or kegs. 1st the step back with champagne in First and now this.

Next time someone is in IAD they should open the bottom and see whats in there!!
So Laurent Perrier isn't a 'respectable fine wine producer'?

Because they offer LPGS in magnums.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by leachster
On a serious note, the best night I've ever had in an airport was in IAD, with one of the best barmen I've ever met. I hope he's not now redundant.

Tchin Tchin.
Jerry? Don’t think he is there anymore ☹️
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by airb330
Hey! That's a PA beer Though we have much, much better beer than yeungling here.

Of course you are correct. You see this often, cork v screwcap was a classic example.

It's magnified terrifically on frequent flyer programmes boards like this where, if we are honest, might attract a few folks who maybe aren't particularly educated about wine.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I was in the IAD lounge at the end of June. I was sitting at the bar and saw taps and kegs behind it and snapped a pic.

Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

this is flyer talk remember.

somene is complaining about a bread bun in another thread ...
It's just part of BAEC forum life and always has been. When I joined the forum FISH often got a mention but I hadn't a clue what it was all about.
I doubt many people actually take these threads too seriously.....especially BA. They'll have realised we were a bunch of nutters years ago.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:43 pm

Does anyone remember Watney’s Red Barrel in party7s? There was a fine keg beverage!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

The LPGS is still served in First, where is the step-back?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I cannot imagine why a reputable producer would object to providing large quantities to a business in a manner that best suits the business

If my recollection is correct, Magnum ( there is only one size of magnum - no large or small ones ) is the preferred size for keeping champagne and not aware of champagne houses having an issue. In fact, Bollinger seems quite happy for its champagne to be sold in Nebuchadnezzaras (15L). If having GBP8125 to spare, a Louis Roederer 2002 Cristal Champagne Methuselah (6L) is available from thechampagnecompany.com

mentioned at http://luxurylaunches.com/ is a $58,413 Armand de Birgnac Ace of Spades ‘Midas’ Brut, Champagne which is 30L

Last edited by Dave Noble; Aug 16, 2018 at 1:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.