Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGW cancelled flight, duty free?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If the STEB bag is still sealed, and the receipt is visible then you should be able to put it through as cabin baggage, just put it in a separate tray and explain to the agent at the front you are rebooked from a cancelled flight.
Are you sure? I trust your knowledge of those things a lot more than mine but I must say that the only time I tried to go through normal security at LHR after transferring from T5 to T3 landside as I was meeting my partner, T3 security refused to check my same day perfectly sealed bag saying it was only valid for transfer security? Was it just a useless agent (very possible) or is it different because purchased in the same airport (as opposed to in the one I was connecting from?)
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Was it just a useless agent (very possible) or is it different because purchased in the same airport (as opposed to in the one I was connecting from?)
Duff advice there. Some transfers you have to do landside (e.g LGW-LHR), not to mention all those who get rebooked on cancelled flights, and yes so long as the STEB was sealed with an unbroken red line, and the receipt visible then it should be fine. Just ask for a supervisor next time. If you want to be painful about it you can ask for a receipt for this to claim from HAL / insurance, however you will have to wait for a police officer to issue that, and the latter may take a dim view of proceedings.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: BA GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, BONVOY L/T GOLD,
Where was the weather issue? JER was fine yesterday?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brithk
Where was the weather issue? JER was fine yesterday?
No idea, it was not raining in around Gatwick or Jersey from what I could see so I presume it was knock on from previous weather elsewhere.

The flight was scheduled for 20.20 but kept being pushed back (as late as 23.05 at one point)as I sat in the lounge, before eventually being cancelled.

Where do I find the official reason? I only heard whispers of weather related from other passengers, no staff could confirm the reason last night.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:01 am
Original Poster

I also suspect this is incorrect advice from the contact centre, or perhaps the misunderstood the premise of the question. It's not the sort of thing the contact centre would be knowledgeable about. I am also almost certain the ground staff will let you check the bag in, in fact I think the self serve machines will do it too.
I phoned back a second time, got a different agent but same answer. They are unable to comp a bag to a HBO ticket apparently.

Second person was slightly more helpful and suggested I try the airport on Sunday morning, as others have echoed on here.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Duff advice there. Some transfers you have to do landside (e.g LGW-LHR), not to mention all those who get rebooked on cancelled flights, and yes so long as the STEB was sealed with an unbroken red line, and the receipt visible then it should be fine. Just ask for a supervisor next time. If you want to be painful about it you can ask for a receipt for this to claim from HAL / insurance, however you will have to wait for a police officer to issue that, and the latter may take a dim view of proceedings.
Thanks! Very good to know. Doesn't improve my view of those security guys though! (I'm not confrontational so merely walked back to check my suitcase but if it happens again - I actually very rarely buy anything but that time I had a voucher to use - I'll insist!)
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:17 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by crazyegg

I phoned back a second time, got a different agent but same answer. They are unable to comp a bag to a HBO ticket apparently.

Second person was slightly more helpful and suggested I try the airport on Sunday morning, as others have echoed on here.

In my experience, there are any number of reasons why a gate agent may be able to exercise discretion and bend the rules of the HBO fare to permit you to check the bag: full flight, compensation for the 2 day delay (on a 35 minute flight!), elite status, etc. Explain the situation, smile, and ask to check the bag.

As you have discovered, playing by the letter of the rules here will result in 'computer says no' moments. I would also not take the chance with security. BA check-in personnel are far more likely to be flexible than security. If they give you a hard time, just tell them that you'll be claiming the cost back from BA as part of your claim for delay expenses. Failing that, then claim for the cost of checking the bag against your travel insurance (assuming you have any).

Relax, don't worry about it, and have a great time in Brighton or wherever you go.

Last edited by chalf; Aug 11, 2018 at 8:26 am
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: BA GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, BONVOY L/T GOLD,

No idea, it was not raining in around Gatwick or Jersey from what I could see so I presume it was knock on from previous weather elsewhere.

The flight was scheduled for 20.20 but kept being pushed back (as late as 23.05 at one point)as I sat in the lounge, before eventually being cancelled.

Where do I find the official reason? I only heard whispers of weather related from other passengers, no staff could confirm the reason last night.
Not sure - do knock on weather affects let BA off the Hook for EU261? ie no weather affecting this flight but planes in the wrong place etc I would think they are liable....
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I phoned back a second time, got a different agent but same answer. They are unable to comp a bag to a HBO ticket apparently. Second person was slightly more helpful and suggested I try the airport on Sunday morning, as others have echoed on here.
Wouldn't the phone agent have to add a free checked bag to the ticket, leaving your carry-on allowance intact, whereas the airport agent will be allowing you to check your compliant carry-on free of charge? You would not be getting an additional carry-on in the latter case.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond

So, the gin is in one of the properly sealed bags not just a carrier (a first for me at LGW actually), and of course I do have the receipt, but what are my options here? I obviously can’t take it through security, and I have no suitable bag or ticket to check it.
Unless I am confusing the EU rules with the US one, I thought the any purchase made within the past 48 hours can be brought through security? I carried duty free wine purchased on the previous day (due to a missed connection) through security with no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.