FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Best oneworld lounges in Europe. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1922066-best-oneworld-lounges-europe.html)

krispy84 Jan 18, 2020 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Mozart0815 (Post 31964617)
Thanks. I have some work to do anyhow so I may just stick around T5 then.

Re: T3 shopping, is there anything on offer there that T5 doesn’t have? Sorry for the brief OT.

If you have work to do, even more reason to stay in T5 IMO.

Re. Shopping, there are differences. Have a look at
https://www.heathrow.com/at-the-airport/shops-a-z
It would only really be worth going to T3 for a particular (high value) purchase. T5 has plenty of the normal airport goods etc.

Passmethesickbag Jan 18, 2020 1:24 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 31958111)
All that said, I tend to buy my Champagne from a producer that I know - I'll also let you in on a secret. At Christmas 2018, I was served a very drinkable Champagne. My host was initially coy about the marque - and finally smiled and said "Lidl" - it cost about €12 a bottle and it was delicious - absolutely delicious.

It used to be just under a tenner at Lidl in the UK but has now crept up to £12.49. As always with Lidl, it has a made-up name ("Comte de Senneval"). It's a bit variable, but most of the time it is really good and always excellent value. Lidl sometimes offers concocts more "premium" champagnes but I've consistently preferred the cheaper one.

BobbySteel Jan 18, 2020 1:55 am

The new Finnair lounge in hel has to be on this list higher than Madrid imo at a minimum

PUCCI GALORE Jan 18, 2020 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag (Post 31964766)
It used to be just under a tenner at Lidl in the UK but has now crept up to £12.49. As always with Lidl, it has a made-up name ("Comte de Senneval"). It's a bit variable, but most of the time it is really good and always excellent value. Lidl sometimes offers concocts more "premium" champagnes but I've consistently preferred the cheaper one.

I've found out that it was in Which? top 3 Champagnes last year and this.

Back to Lounges - I've given this some thought and I think that on balance I like the LGW Flounge best of all. It has its faults, most of which are directly attributable to the presence of too many of us.For me, those views are superb - LHR Flounge comes very close except that getting served anything is a constant challenge with people who have two speeds of working; dead slow and stop. I also like the Barajas T4s Lounge which at one stage was managed by Melia Hotels. Frankly some sort of arrangement with a serious quality Hotel Group would turn matters around in T5. My last visit did offer some hope that Baxter Storey have taken our complaints to BA seriously since there seemed to be a lady who was clearly in charge, and who was there to get things done irrespective of whether the staff liked it or not.

Passmethesickbag Jan 18, 2020 3:39 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 31964993)
Back to Lounges - I've given this some thought and I think that on balance I like the LGW Flounge best of all. It has its faults, most of which are directly attributable to the presence of too many of us.For me, those views are superb - LHR Flounge comes very close except that getting served anything is a constant challenge with people who have two speeds of working; dead slow and stop. I also like the Barajas T4s Lounge which at one stage was managed by Melia Hotels. Frankly some sort of arrangement with a serious quality Hotel Group would turn matters around in T5. My last visit did offer some hope that Baxter Storey have taken our complaints to BA seriously since there seemed to be a lady who was clearly in charge, and who was there to get things done irrespective of whether the staff liked it or not.

The other important difference that contributes to the atmosphere of the LGW lounge is that the staff seem much happier than the haunted souls rushing through the LHR lounge.

PUCCI GALORE Jan 18, 2020 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag (Post 31965018)
The other important difference that contributes to the atmosphere of the LGW lounge is that the staff seem much happier than the haunted souls rushing through the LHR lounge.

If by Haunted Souls you mean automata, Dear - then yes I agree. Someone the other day referred to them as the Zombie Army which whilst uncharitable, was not far removed from the truth.

I think also that the LGW staff are 20 times more pro-active than those at LHR.

Mozart0815 Jan 18, 2020 7:53 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 31965049)
If by Haunted Souls you mean automata, Dear - then yes I agree. Someone the other day referred to them as the Zombie Army which whilst uncharitable, was not far removed from the truth.

I think also that the LGW staff are 20 times more pro-active than those at LHR.

Currently sitting in the T5 First galleries.

Being relatively new to EC Gold this is only my second time here. But overall I’m quite positively surprised. Just came out of the Elemis spa, now enjoying the Jeeper Grand Rosé champagne which I’d never even heard of before, but which is really good, and now sitting on the open balcony I’m enjoying my dreaded 4h stopover more than I thought. And I even got some work done in between.

But whoever invented the term Zombie Army had a point...

scottishpoet Jan 18, 2020 8:32 am

Its mentioned in the OP that there is a one world emerald lounge in WAW.

To clarify this is the Fanrazia lounge. Rather than a OW lounge, this is a 3rd party lounge that is accessible to ba gold cardholders.

This lounge is in the schengen end of the airport at the far end from the non schengen gates.

Unfortunately, with only BA iB and AY there are very few true OW lounges in Europe other than at the biggest airports

Dan Son Jan 18, 2020 10:42 am

I have to say after visiting the Finnair Business Lounge last weekend - I was impressed. Very clean, classy and spacious. A very Nordic feel. Granted it was midday so rush hour east bound traffic not there yet but I think lounge deserves a visit :)

T8191 Jan 18, 2020 10:51 am

I’m surprised I haven’t mentioned the La Vallette Lounge at MLA.

Not exactly OW, but access if you’re flying CE with BA (other airlines also exist). Decent food and wine, and a lovely outdoor terrace overlooking the Apron ... provided with comfy seating, overhead shade ... and Smoking permitted! :)

subject2load Jan 18, 2020 11:50 am

‘Haunted souls’ ........ ‘Zombie Army’ ........ not sure quite what the appropriate description would be .... although certainly a good number of staff throughout the various LHR BA lounges give every impression of having been forced to work there as some sort of punishment for having done bad things in a past life.

There are, without doubt, some very creditable exceptions to be found, although these can very often seem to be in the minority. But in the case of so many others, the main attributes (and perhaps key requirements for the role) appear to be skilful avoidance of eye contact with customers, very possibly as a means to dissuade them from inconveniently interrupting chit-chat with their co-workers.

Garimi Jan 18, 2020 12:27 pm

For me LHR T3 CX F lounge plus nuddle bar at J section;)

jmj9905 Jan 18, 2020 7:22 pm

Wonder if anyone can give me feedback on the ba lis lounge. I believe it is a contract lounge but can't find much else.

krispy84 Jan 18, 2020 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 31966096)
I’m surprised I haven’t mentioned the La Vallette Lounge at MLA.

Not exactly OW, but access if you’re flying CE with BA (other airlines also exist). Decent food and wine, and a lovely outdoor terrace overlooking the Apron ... provided with comfy seating, overhead shade ... and Smoking permitted! :)

The smoking aspect is a big 👎 from me I’m afraid, although I acknowledge that we all need to have our little vices. I’m in Thailand atm and had forgotten how unpleasant eating and drinking with cigarette smoke wafting from either side is.

Originally Posted by subject2load (Post 31966301)
‘Haunted souls’ ........ ‘Zombie Army’ ........ not sure quite what the appropriate description would be .... although certainly a good number of staff throughout the various LHR BA lounges give every impression of having been forced to work there as some sort of punishment for having done bad things in a past life.

There are, without doubt, some very creditable exceptions to be found, although these can very often seem to be in the minority. But in the case of so many others, the main attributes (and perhaps key requirements for the role) appear to be skilful avoidance of eye contact with customers, very possibly as a means to dissuade them from inconveniently interrupting chit-chat with their co-workers.

👍 Nail, hit, head.

The BA LHR lounges are fine and the service is usually fine, but the service is noticeably worse than many other LHR ‘premium’ lounges in my experience (QF, CX, QR, VS). It puzzles me when so many on here apparently laud the service they get. Perhaps it is, genuinely, better if you’re a very frequent CCR guest.

Garimi Jan 18, 2020 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by scottishpoet (Post 31965670)
Its mentioned in the OP that there is a one world emerald lounge in WAW.

To clarify this is the Fanrazia lounge.

This lounge is very good, plenty of space even sleep room and almost empty....good what they add automatic gate at passport control