Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Weather Disruption at Heathrow - 27 July 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather Disruption at Heathrow - 27 July 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:49 pm

Reports on social media of people on board sitting at the gate for over 3 hours.

BA183 LHR-JFK being operated by G-CIVY scheduled to leave at 19:50.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
LCY has been impacted (well flights to GLA anyway). My daughter was on the 18.15 which got cancelled, she needed to get to GLA tonight but there was no room on the next flight 19(something), had the choice of 21.00, 21.15 or 21.30. She went for the 21.00 (which was delayed until 21.45 or so), the 21.15 was delayed until 10.10 and the 21.30 was cancelled in the end!
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:11 pm

And now they’ve had to divert to EDI!
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
I have friends on the BA970 to BUD, which has at least a 2 hour delay from 20:45 and could be 3 hours. They are sitting on the aircraft awaiting a slot.
They have now pushed back about 2.5 hours late.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
all flights cancelled to northern mainland Europe.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:35 pm

Days like today are challenging...

Due to the weather around the southern part of the UK, pretty much every departure route out of, and into Heathrow was affected/restricted this afternoon. Normally, departures on the same initial routing are required to be 2 minutes apart in the main. For varying periods and times all the routes were temporarily 3/4/5/6/8/10 minutes, and this was an ever changing situation as the weather developed and moved. As the day evolved the hardest hit route was the North Easterly departure which overflies Brookmans Park in Hertfordshire. Pretty much all flights to Scandinavia/Northern Europe/Russia and the Northern half of Asia take this route on departure. Today the route was unavailable due to the weather for long periods of time, as whenever we tried to depart a flight on that route they could not stay close to the prescribed route and thus further departures were not allowed. To put this into perspective, one Finnair outbound to Helsinki ended up overflying Manchester due to weather avoiding...

The problem then is expectation management and having 30-50 aircraft waiting (patiently in the main) to depart, but you literally cannot tell how long it might be. At one point we were departing on that route 1 every 5 minutes, or 40% of normal capacity. There were approx 30 aircraft in the queue for that route, so as unfortunate as it was, I could tell the last one waiting it was - at that point - 2.5hrs before they would go. Then someone went off track and for the safety of the sector departures were required to be 10 minutes apart - making the delay upto 5 hrs. Then the situation improved after to 1 every 4 minutes, and thus down to 2 hours again.

This may seem illogical or any other kind of negative. But with an ever changing weather situation it's so hard to get predictability for 5 minutes, let alone 2 hours. We genuinely try to be as efficient as we can as much as we can - days like today you simply cannot do that in the air.

I did tell some pilots that I didn't have any idea how long the delay would be - in fact the BA798 to HEL was one of those. I probably said similar to BA870 to BUD. I tried to give as much info to the crews to pass on to anyone who was waiting to go somewhere - even when they had an unpleasant length of delay.

If you were affected by todays weather, I apologise for something outwith my control. But rest assured our first (as always) priority was getting people to their destination safely, and where we could do that expeditiously, then today that was a bonus. Hopefully any delay or cancellation has not caused anyone to miss a truly important event.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Thanks for the detailed explanation LHRATCO!

Much appreciated.

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:10 pm

So after 10 hours in the lounge, the inbound flight from LHR arrived into AMS after midnight.....then they cancelled it. We were told there was nobody to help. Couldn’t rebook. Have to find own hotels and claim back later. Went to nearest hotels, no availability, so now sitting on a seat, not sure if I can sleep and will have to wait until 6:00am to see if I can get a flight out on Saturday at all.
App is showing no availability. Earlier AMS-LGW had boarded and then didn’t take off as crew ran out of time. Spoke to a passenger on that flight and they had been rebooked at 2:00pm, so maybe not much chance for LHR.

I’m just wondering if the late LHR that didn’t go back would be an additional plane tomorrow that could take us or would it act as the first scheduled flight?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:13 pm

Update: just got a text from BA to say I’m rebooked for Sunday!

Can I claim back if I go back by train or another airline or from another airport?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by MCM1
Update: just got a text from BA to say I’m rebooked for Sunday!

Can I claim back if I go back by train or another airline or from another airport?
Might be worth a call to see if they can book you on one of the 7 KLM flights tomorrow if BA is full.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Tonight we were on the 988 to Berlin. The captain was giving us information that contradicted the app so we weren’t sure who to believe. They eventually managed to get eat a “water pack” brought to the plane so we could have liquids. After two hours on the tarmac the flight was cancelled. We then got a text advising that they had rebooked us on the 08:45 flight on Sunday morning to Berlin arriving at 11:35. Our return flight is the same day at 16:45. Needless to say, we just got a taxi home. Will sort out the cancellations and insurance claim in the morning.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by everGLAdes
Might be worth a call to see if they can book you on one of the 7 KLM flights tomorrow if BA is full.
thanks. Long night sitting in the airport first but will be o to them first thing.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by MCM1

thanks. Long night sitting in the airport first but will be o to them first thing.
Why are you sitting in the airport? Hotels.com is showing several options within a few miles of AMS for around £115. BA will pay for that plus a taxi there and back.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:20 pm

A JAL flight just left with a 6 hour delay, and there is still a backlog of Long Haul aircraft lined up to leave LHR. What a stress full day for everyone affected by the storms.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:13 pm

Not BA but EW2465 LHR - STR 6 hour delay then diverted to Hanover. Passengers told to make their own way to Stuttgart. Only 5 hours 500km down the road.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.