Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher - Avios.com or BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, EK Blue, Best Western Diamond Select, Hilton Gold

Pending the closure of the Avios reward scheme, I understand that all upgrade voucher bookings will need to be made via the BA call centre (?) as Avios.com will be closed. All of the information I can find online seems to state the 'end of July' is when it will close, but right now how do I book using the voucher?

Just to add confusion, we have a HHA on BA.com with all the required miles but the vouchers are split across each of our Avios.com accounts. One of the vouchers is on MrsBouch's account but her portion of Avios isn't enough for the one-way booking! So booking with BA would resolve this as I can use the HHA balance.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I’m interested too... have my first one right now and would like to book through BA so it can be combined with a 2-4-1 if that’s possible
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Interesting prospect, I guess previously you didn’t book the 2-4-1 with Avios and vice-versa with the upgrade voucher and BA.

I wonder if the T’s and C’s specify that you can’t combine, like the upgrade states you can’t upgrade to F.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

Will I still be able to use my Lloyds Upgrade voucher?

Yes you can you can still book online with your voucher until the programme closes. After this you’ll need to contact us to book on 0344 49 333 49. Please make sure you use it before the expiry date.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ringingup

Will I still be able to use my Lloyds Upgrade voucher?

Yes you can you can still book online with your voucher until the programme closes. After this you’ll need to contact us to book on 0344 49 333 49. Please make sure you use it before the expiry date.
Checking that number it still appears to be an Avios.com CS number. Once the account is closed, and hence the points moved to an BAEC account will this re-direct to BAEC CS?
I guess my original question still stands, as I can wait until Avios closes to book the return, can I book using my HHA Avios using a Lloyds Upgrade Voucher? I am sure that this will become clear at the end of the month, but the points being in a HHA may still cause an issue!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA, BAEC, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver.
Hi,

My recent experience of booking flights using the Lloyds voucher.

First off I rang Avios to determine the process for the above. Avios agent advised they could not make the booking as they were closing, told to ring BAEC to book. Rang BAEC, agent advised that they would make the booking, no problem, but needed the voucher number. Checked my Avios account, voucher did not seem to have a number attached to it.

Next recalled Avios to seek to voucher number. Advised not to use BAEC to make booking as they cannot apply voucher. Also queried about possibly opening an Avios HHA, told it was not possible to open one, there was apparently a work around if you needed a "ghost" Avios HHA. At his point I was not ready to make the booking (2 x Passengers in J).

When I had all my details ready I moved half the required Avios from each of our individual BAEC accounts to our individual Avios accounts.(We have a BAEC HHA.) Note that the total avios was the total of two seats in PE and two seats in J. Rang Avios, got a great agent who was on the ball straight away. She understood that there was a workaround for the Avios HHA issue, and quickly made the booking, applying the voucher as she processed the booking. It was painless, she even got us on a earlier connection out of LHR on the return journey.

Last edited by altyrocket; Jul 17, 2018 at 4:17 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by altyrocket
Hi,

First off I rang Avios to determine the process for the above. Avios agent advised they could not make the booking as they were closing, told to ring BAEC to book. Rang BAEC, agent advised that they would make the booking, no problem, but needed the voucher number. Checked my Avios account, voucher did not seem to have a number attached to it.

Next recalled Avios to seek to voucher number. Advised not to use BAEC to make booking as they cannot apply voucher. Also queried about possibly opening an Avios HHA, told it was not possible to open one, there was apparently a work around if you needed a "ghost" Avios HHA. At his point I was not ready to make the booking (2 x Passengers in J).

When I had all my details ready I moved half the required Avios from each of our individual BAEC accounts to our individual Avios accounts.(We have a BAEC HHA.) Note that the total avios was the total of two seats in PE and two seats in J. Rang Avios, got a great agent who was on the ball straight away. She understood that there was a workaround for the Avios HHA issue, and quickly made the booking, applying the voucher as she processed the booking. It was painless, she even got us on a earlier connection out of LHR on the return journey.
Thanks for that. I have just spoken to an agent on the Avios web chat and received the following message -

"[XXXXX] Yes , as long as we can clear Data protection with both of you then we can take points from both your accounts to make the booking."

This was only after I queried using the information from Altyrocket, although they didn't clarify what will happen post-Avios as she also stated that BAEC can not apply the voucher...

NB - Bolding is my edit to redact name of agent.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC, KOP 305
Related to this - how do I now know when I have earned the Lloyds upgrade voucher?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Rome77
Related to this - how do I now know when I have earned the Lloyds upgrade voucher?
Currently you can see it in your avios.com account. Just go to Your account > your statement then click on the vouchers tab at the top. After avios.com closes I'm not sure how you will be able to view it.

You do also get a letter through the post some time after it is triggered and this may be the only way to know in future short of calling BA and asking.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Rome77
Mine appeared in my Avios Account almost straight after spending over the £7k requirement.

I also got a letter through the post confirming
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC, KOP 305
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
Currently you can see it in your avios.com account. Just go to Your account > your statement then click on the vouchers tab at the top. After avios.com closes I'm not sure how you will be able to view it.
You do also get a letter through the post some time after it is triggered and this may be the only way to know in future short of calling BA and asking.
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Mine appeared in my Avios Account almost straight after spending over the £7k requirement.
I also got a letter through the post confirming
Thanks both. I have in the past indeed received the voucher in my Avios.com account. I thought by now I was due another voucher so wanted to check whether I should still expect it to turn up in my Avios.com account...
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: UA, BAEC, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver.
Originally Posted by MikeBouch
Thanks for that. I have just spoken to an agent on the Avios web chat and received the following message -

"[[b]XXXXX] Yes , as long as we can clear Data protection with both of you then we can take points from both your accounts to make the booking."

This was only after I queried using the information from Altyrocket, although they didn't clarify what will happen post-Avios as she also stated that BAEC can not apply the voucher...

NB - Bolding is my edit to redact name of agent.
Ah yes forgot that bit about getting permission from the other Avios holder !! Had to drag mrsAltyrocket out of the shower !!
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:52 am
Original Poster

As an update. Now booked through the Avios phone line. Absolutely no issues, the call handler knew exactly what to do and just had to speak to my OH to pass data protection.

Accounts are being migrated as we speak, with the proposal to complete by late summer.
argonath likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
An unrelated issue but probably linked to the changeover so will put it here.

I want to use my voucher on the new LGW-CGN route. Plenty of availability on BA but nothing on Avios.com. Speaking to the agents it seems they can see they availability on their internal system but the whole route is blocked from booking. And I can’t seem to persuade any agents to escalate the issue.

Has as anyone else come across this with new routes?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by altyrocket
Hi,

Thank you for your detailed description. We did the same thing today (apply the voucher to 2x one-ways, miles coming from two avios accounts) successfully. (Annoyingly we used to have an Avios HHA and they dissolved it in preparation for the transition. Glad everything worked out in the end).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.