Wiki Posts
Search

The Red Glass in F Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, BA, VA
The Red Glass in F Thread

Oddly, I quite like BA. I consider the F product not as most other airlines J....and I have flown J on QF, JL, EY, CX, MH, UL, AA, TG, EK, VA. It is a long way from many airlines' F product but quite frankly is suits me just fine. (I am currently trying the overpriced wifi so thought this might also double as a wifi experiment.)

.....but I am left out of the general BA bashing so I strongly felt the need to highlight the biggest issue I face on my 50 or so long haul flights a year.....the dreaded "red glass" in F*. I simply don't understand why this throwback to the 1970's is delivered as the dinner table is set up. I am half inclined to believe that the BA had a job lot left over from a warehouse time capsule. I just can't fathom it. What is wrong with simple, plain, clear glass, why do I face something that looks like a child's "beaker"?

I am debating setting up a petition to oust the red glass from the F cabin, the only thing stopping me is my own indolence.

*Not the glass of red, which is actually not too shabby,...the red glass for water at meal times.

Last edited by TonyHancock; Jul 17, 2018 at 9:19 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Coloured water glasses are quite in vogue. QR have red glasses in J and blue glasses in F on routes with their new service standard.

I have a couple of the previous (thinner, lighter in colour) red water glasses from BA F (legally obtained) - I really like them. The current version are slightly thicker and darker red.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:46 am

Here is a red glass in First.

Palmer

Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Yes, that glass arrived a couple of years ago - it is officially known as a “deep crimson red water glass, to provide a burst of colour in the stylish understated cabin” as the BA press release stated at the time.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palmer
Here is a red glass in First.

Palmer

Ye gods, will no one rid me of this dreadful chalice?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
This is an important topic and worth at least half an hour in deference to the OP's namesake.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I preferred the previous "pink" version.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:31 am

I like it! Though the design is a bit plain
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
I've never really thought about it, but now I do, I've always thought they look a bit incongruous and dare I say it like they are from Ikea.

I don't actually see a problem bringing your own. Have you considered this? I think some people bring their own pillows etc.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
Have you considered this? I think some people bring their own pillows etc.
It all gets a bit tiresome though. I already have to bring a cocktail shaker, martini glass, olives and dry vermouth to overcome the Dry Martini deficiency in F, so I don't want to have to bring a glass for water too.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
and dare I say it like they are from Ikea.
Their Krappi range?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Deliberate. If they were any good people would nick them - see AY and their strangely disappearing Marimekko glasses
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by KARFA
Deliberate. If they were any good people would nick them - see AY and their strangely disappearing Marimekko glasses
Marimekko is napkins, fabrics etc... the glasses are from Iittala, and called Ultimate Thule, think the design have been around since 1940s... can be bought in air, or in the Iittala shop on Esplanadi in Helsinki... ;-)
ne52, KARFA, squawk and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Looks like Ikea to me. As Steve says, from their Krappi range.
They've got millions of them in store.

I guess they are so tasteless to reduce theft?
ne52 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I'm glad your "biggest issue" is the color and style of your water glass, and not lost baggage, IRROPS, cancellations, trips in vain, etc.. Sounds like life is good! ^
hiljil and Sealink like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.