FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   The Red Glass in F Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1920015-red-glass-f-thread.html)

TonyHancock Jul 15, 2018 8:48 am

The Red Glass in F Thread

Oddly, I quite like BA. I consider the F product not as most other airlines J....and I have flown J on QF, JL, EY, CX, MH, UL, AA, TG, EK, VA. It is a long way from many airlines' F product but quite frankly is suits me just fine. (I am currently trying the overpriced wifi so thought this might also double as a wifi experiment.)

.....but I am left out of the general BA bashing so I strongly felt the need to highlight the biggest issue I face on my 50 or so long haul flights a year.....the dreaded "red glass" in F*. I simply don't understand why this throwback to the 1970's is delivered as the dinner table is set up. I am half inclined to believe that the BA had a job lot left over from a warehouse time capsule. I just can't fathom it. What is wrong with simple, plain, clear glass, why do I face something that looks like a child's "beaker"?

I am debating setting up a petition to oust the red glass from the F cabin, the only thing stopping me is my own indolence.

*Not the glass of red, which is actually not too shabby,...the red glass for water at meal times.

Genius1 Jul 15, 2018 9:44 am

Coloured water glasses are quite in vogue. QR have red glasses in J and blue glasses in F on routes with their new service standard.

I have a couple of the previous (thinner, lighter in colour) red water glasses from BA F (legally obtained) - I really like them. The current version are slightly thicker and darker red.

Palmer Jul 15, 2018 9:46 am

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...697d1ad3b.jpeg

Here is a red glass in First.

Palmer

Tobias-UK Jul 15, 2018 10:03 am

Yes, that glass arrived a couple of years ago - it is officially known as a “deep crimson red water glass, to provide a burst of colour in the stylish understated cabin” as the BA press release stated at the time.

TonyHancock Jul 15, 2018 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Palmer (Post 29975930)
Here is a red glass in First.

Palmer

Ye gods, will no one rid me of this dreadful chalice?

Woodbinerich Jul 15, 2018 10:09 am

This is an important topic and worth at least half an hour in deference to the OP's namesake.

LTN Phobia Jul 15, 2018 10:24 am

I preferred the previous "pink" version.

JFX1764 Jul 15, 2018 10:31 am

I like it! Though the design is a bit plain

Woodbinerich Jul 15, 2018 10:35 am

I've never really thought about it, but now I do, I've always thought they look a bit incongruous and dare I say it like they are from Ikea.

I don't actually see a problem bringing your own. Have you considered this? I think some people bring their own pillows etc.

TonyHancock Jul 15, 2018 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich (Post 29976073)
Have you considered this? I think some people bring their own pillows etc.

It all gets a bit tiresome though. I already have to bring a cocktail shaker, martini glass, olives and dry vermouth to overcome the Dry Martini deficiency in F, so I don't want to have to bring a glass for water too. :p

SteveF Jul 15, 2018 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich (Post 29976073)
and dare I say it like they are from Ikea.

Their Krappi range?

KARFA Jul 15, 2018 11:56 am

Deliberate. If they were any good people would nick them - see AY and their strangely disappearing Marimekko glasses ;)

LondonCanuck Jul 15, 2018 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 29976316)
Deliberate. If they were any good people would nick them - see AY and their strangely disappearing Marimekko glasses ;)

Marimekko is napkins, fabrics etc... the glasses are from Iittala, and called Ultimate Thule, think the design have been around since 1940s... can be bought in air, or in the Iittala shop on Esplanadi in Helsinki... ;-)

Ancient Observer Jul 15, 2018 3:06 pm

Looks like Ikea to me. As Steve says, from their Krappi range.
They've got millions of them in store.

I guess they are so tasteless to reduce theft?

Gig103 Jul 15, 2018 3:08 pm

I'm glad your "biggest issue" is the color and style of your water glass, and not lost baggage, IRROPS, cancellations, trips in vain, etc.. Sounds like life is good! ^