Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Way around high redemption Avios Surcharges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Many of us are paying hundreds of pounds on Long-Haul Avios redemptions and a large portion is from Air Passenger Duty (APD). However, one does not have to pay this duty if they are transiting through the UK for less than 24hrs, even if it is on 2 tickets.

Would this be possible; ticket 1 is ex-UK thats flies into the UK (less than 24hrs), ticket 2 Avios long-haul redemption, fly both legs and claim it back from HM revenue and customs. It should work.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
it has been raised before in these threads
APD refund on separate tickets
Any way to avoid APD when transiting via LHR (two tickets)

not sure what the conclusion was but they may be worth a read
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by livvv
Would this be possible; ticket 1 is ex-UK thats flies into the UK (less than 24hrs), ticket 2 Avios long-haul redemption, fly both legs and claim it back from HM revenue and customs. It should work.
Before coming to that conclusion, you might want to read the most relevant bits of the HMRC guidance on APD.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Before coming to that conclusion, you might want to read the most relevant bits of the HMRC guidance on APD.
Thanks. I guess 4.4 is the issue with two separate tickets but easily solved if just booked on to one ticket instead.

4.4 Tickets

In addition to the time related criteria, the agreement for carriage must be evidenced by a ticket which must show the:
  • airport from which the passenger intends to depart
  • date and time of his intended departure
  • airport at which he intends to arrive
The connected flights must be detailed on the same ticket or conjunction tickets to qualify for the exemption. Tickets can only be regarded as conjunction tickets if:

a. they’re in one booklet, or

b. where they’re in separate booklets:
  • each refers to the other and states that they’re to be read in conjunction
  • there is a summary of the flights constituting the passengers journey including the flights in question
Although the flights may meet all the other criteria for determining whether 2 flights are connected, they will only qualify for the exemption if the connection is evidenced on the ticket or a flight summary.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by KARFA
I guess 4.4 is the issue with two separate tickets but easily solved if just booked on to one ticket instead.
Unless the intention is that the long-haul ticket should involve the use of an Amex 2-4-1.

If that is the case, it is of course easy to avoid APD without starting outside the UK.

But APD is only part of the total TFC, and other parts may be unavoidable. I haven't tried pricing a 2-4-1 starting in INV, but I suspect that someone who's really starting in London may find it cheaper to pay the APD than to avoid it in this way.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
BA offer the Regional AddOns to Long Haul flight redemptions for free, so exINV can be very beneficial (depending on lcoation) I am in GLA so £8 on the train to save ~150 no brainer for me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.