Wiki Posts
Search

Higher prices just before flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Higher prices just before flight

allthough i understand the economics and the shorter before booking the flight the prices will be the highest. Unfortunatly that also means that sometimes a trip is canceled as prices are to high.

this morning my boss asked me if i could fly to London tomorrow evening and fly back on thursday evening to spend a day in meetings.
i looked up the price but this close before filght they are ridiculous high.
to bad as i am not going to book. Prices do not make sense to fly in.

isnt there a way that in specific circumstances a short notice flight can be booked with somewhat normal prices?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Yes. The answer you are looking for is RFS.
CloudGazer and :D! like this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I suspect your two options are
- Flight Pass, which has ticket prices frozen in advance, using the Freedom option which allows a 4 hour before travel window (allegedly)
https://britishairways.optiontown.com/
however see the thread on FT on some of the clunkiness of this scheme.

- ask the congregation gathered here today on FT who can usually use their skill and judgement to find a good alternative. Just be precise on your dates and times.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
An award flight is your best chance.

Most pricing is very high just before departure as revenue management know that there will be travellers willing to pay to be on a flight regardless of cost.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Unpacking madfish's answer a little: "Reward Flight Saver" tickets cost GBP 35 + some amount of avios to book a return flight. If you have very short notice flights you need to take, it's quite common for you to see the same ticket sold for > GBP 300 that you can also get as a "Reward" flight.

Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't, and you're going to be spending your own personal points, not ones that belong to your company (your points are yours). The advantage here is that the price doesn't change for reward tickets like the prices change for revenue tickets.

I have a lot of sympathy for you: airline pricing is weird, and makes last minute decisions harder than they need to be.
Seraglio likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Little help

Originally Posted by madfish
Yes. The answer you are looking for is RFS.
i am not really familiair with all abbriviations. Where does RFS stands for?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jerub
I have a lot of sympathy for you: airline pricing is weird ...
It's not that weird if you think of the fundamental principle behind it: the system operates to try to screw out of you every last penny that you're prepared to pay (which in some cases is substantially more than the amount that you'd like to pay).

If at short notice, the airline has 3 seats left, and it could sell them to each of three travellers for Ł100 each, but one of them is actually prepared to pay Ł500 because they really really need to get there (whereas the other two are on a budget and, like the OP, will pass on the trip), then the airline makes more money by taking Ł500 from one passenger and flying two empty seats.
CloudGazer, Seraglio and mikeyfly like this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Seraglio
i am not really familiair with all abbriviations. Where does RFS stands for?
Reward Flight Saver, a redemption booking with Avios in other words. There is a guide to abbreviations in the Dashboard.
Seraglio likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Unpacking madfish's answer a little: "Reward Flight Saver" tickets cost GBP 35 + some amount of avios to book a return flight. If you have very short notice flights you need to take, it's quite common for you to see the same ticket sold for > GBP 300 that you can also get as a "Reward" flight.

Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't, and you're going to be spending your own personal points, not ones that belong to your company (your points are yours). The advantage here is that the price doesn't change for reward tickets like the prices change for revenue tickets.

I have a lot of sympathy for you: airline pricing is weird, and makes last minute decisions harder than they need to be.
I am not spending Avios on these kind of trips. I keep the Avios to upgrade my long haul flights.
what happens now is that i do not fly at all. I have no problem paying for a ticket when i need to travel, but in the current situation its like "if you get decent pricing hop on a flight". Pricing now is more then double what i usually pay, so i do not travel. I regularly hop between BRU-HEA in Club Europe. Even do B2b flights taking an early flight in and a late flight back. It maximises my time in the UK give me plenty of room to do my business, but with double the price it doesnt make sense for me. I have multiple trips scheduled in advance, actually over 12 flights planned in the next 10 weeks and still have to book my end august, begin september flights.

i would actualy really like if BA gave me an option to book flights on short notice when there is availability. Usually Club World is not sold out, so that empty spot could have been my spot.

Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It's not that weird if you think of the fundamental principle behind it: the system operates to try to screw out of you every last penny that you're prepared to pay (which in some cases is substantially more than the amount that you'd like to pay).

If at short notice, the airline has 3 seats left, and it could sell them to each of three travellers for Ł100 each, but one of them is actually prepared to pay Ł500 because they really really need to get there (whereas the other two are on a budget and, like the OP, will pass on the trip), then the airline makes more money by taking Ł500 from one passenger and flying two empty seats.
I find airline pricing muuuuch weirder than merely raising the price at the last moment. The very classic If Airlines Sold Paint article is what I feel like linking in every post about it, but I fear if I did that would get slightly repetitive.

The OP is actually in a very simple circumstance: Last minute travel. My laymans understanding here is that the 'cheaper' fare buckets have been drained and only the expensive ones remain, which causes the price to jump by a quantum to a higher level, because only the more expensive tickets are still for sale.

From what I understand airlines could do much more dynamic and interesting pricing based on supply and demand if they weren't constrained to continue to use the legacy computer system that was invented in 1960 and still used today (Sabre).
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: BAEC
We bought a last minute KUL-SIN yesterday for Ł100.00 each (including a ‘hot seat’), thought that was quite reasonable....appreciate they are a LCC though.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:01 am

Airlines price their flights precisely to take maximum advantage of (amongst other things) these sort of situations - where there is a short notice need for business travel, typically not being paid from any individual's pocket...I have experienced this several times, paying north of Ł500 to fly to Amsterdam, Frankfurt or other cities for the day (or 12k for Chicago...no, really!). I would not dream of paying those prices for my own travel, but for work it's a necessity and no-one even seems to bat an eyelid at the cost, relative to the upside earning potential.

Same reason the "Saturday night stay" rules exists and hugely affects fare prices: a very easy way to differentiate between leisure / self-funded travel and business travellers who want to be home for the weekend and have a bigger corporate budget.

Airline economics 101 - make money where you can get away with it.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Usually i pay around 300€ for the roundtrip in club europe. With RFS i can book for 60€ and 15500 avios. If there was a must to fly i would grab it allthough i do not think its a great deal. I rather pay around 300 for the trip with no avios. Now the price is around 600, so almost double the regular price.
If that flight leaves with an empty chair in club world, i could have been on it.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I find airline pricing muuuuch weirder than merely raising the price at the last moment. The very classic If Airlines Sold Paint article is what I feel like linking in every post about it, but I fear if I did that would get slightly repetitive.
If you genuinely think that that piece has any insight to shed on the real world of airline pricing, then I fear you're not really understanding any of it. Even though it probably frustrates all of us (including both the OP and me) when we are at the wrong end of the system, these revenue management systems are extraordinarily good at doing that job. It's far too simplistic to say it's all about raising the price at the last moment, but the "three seats left" hypothetical illustrates some of what is going on when it does happen. In any case, the real world is even less solid, because there isn't even really any such thing as "three seats left" (only three seats left before the current overbooking limit, which may change).
NickB and Porky Speedpig like this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:14 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Seraglio
Usually i pay around 300€ for the roundtrip in club europe. With RFS i can book for 60€ and 15500 avios. If there was a must to fly i would grab it allthough i do not think its a great deal. I rather pay around 300 for the trip with no avios. Now the price is around 600, so almost double the regular price.
If that flight leaves with an empty chair in club world, i could have been on it.
Yes, you could. For €600!

Did you also check the pricing for Economy? If it is the BRU-LHR route you are looking for I can see some not too ridiculous prices in Economy. Still over €300 return, but that's what you expect if booking the day before.

I think everyone would love to get cheap deals the day before a flight, unfortunately, that doesn't seem such a good deal from the perspective of airline revenue management and profitability!
Seraglio likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.