Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Any way to avoid APD when transiting via LHR (two tickets)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards

Hello and happy New Year to all!
I have the following problem: want to fly AAA-LHR-BBB and back (award ticket). There is no award availability for BBB-LHR, so I must buy a ticket with cash. However, I have to pay APD for the LHR-AAA leg. Is there any way to avoid that, as I will be arriving to the UK the same day as leaving? Will they wave it if I book everything on the phone? I asked, but was told no, not sure if it is worth it to try again for a different answer...
Is there some other combination I can do (except flying from a different airport where there is availability for the problem leg)? Will fly with children and want to avoid adding an additional connection.
Thanks in advance
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
In short, no
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
No easy way to avoid it (and nor should there be in my view!). All flights departing the UK are in scope for APD, however there is an exemption for connecting flights provided they are on the same booking. The legislation quaintly refers to paper tickets' coupon books. So from that point of view by having separate tickets you ducked out of the one of the few concessions.

As you worked out, you could leave the UK by land to avoid APD, but that's another connection. Also go via Europe to get a lower APD, particularly in ET, again another connection. Other European countries have their own air travel taxation arrangements too.

Other ways out are to fly from Jersey, Isle of Man, Inverness and sundry Scottish airports, and longhaul from Northern Ireland. I have an occasional trip from Campbeltown (which isn't that far from where I live in England) to Boston and I'm amused at its lack of taxes.

Air Berlin? Aer Lingus? Finnair?

So in long, no.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:49 am

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer
Originally Posted by stifle
In short, no
There are some travel agents who except GB tax manually and write the tkno of the conjunction ticket in the endorsements, but this usually leads to an ADM. BA us very notorious for issuing ADM even for amounts of 2£.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Well, I guess it's no then.
Air Berlin and the others don't fly where I want, so the additional connection is still there. I could fly with Iberia via Madrid, but there is no availability for the long-haul leg.
Thanks.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
You haven't said if you actually want to fly via LHR, or if that's just the only connection point on your journey aaa-bbb and back, where you found availability.

If you don't actually want to fly via LHR and if it's just a connection point then I definitely suggest you follow up the connection points mentioned by corporate-wage-slave including Ireland, EDI, NCL and incorporating them in place of London. Sometimes there is better availability to and from regional airports than LHR depending on which destinations your AAA and BBB actually are.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

It's been reported here on FT that AA has been able to eliminate the APD on an LHR-XXX flight on AA when the connecting flight into LON was flown on BA.

HMRC's definition of "conjunction tickets" seems to be more liberal than the travel industry's definition of that term.
Old May 24, 2016, 1:42 pm

BA APD refund claim

Any suggestions how to start APD refund claim with BA?
Old May 24, 2016, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BigRedBears
Any suggestions how to start APD refund claim with BA?
The BA forum is a good place to start
Old May 24, 2016, 4:31 pm

Do we have any success stories removing APD on connecting tickets? I have couple BA-BA tickets and one SK-BA itinerary
Old May 24, 2016, 5:21 pm

Do we have any success stories removing APD on connecting tickets? I have couple BA-BA tickets and one SK-BA itinerary
Assuming you mean DIY connecting flights on separate tickets, then no, BA won't do it.

As above there are reports that AA will sometimes do it, but that doesn't help you.
Old May 24, 2016, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Assuming you mean DIY connecting flights on separate tickets, then no, BA won't do it.

As above there are reports that AA will sometimes do it, but that doesn't help you.
Thanks for a data point.

My tickets are ticketed through BA, but ex-LHR leg is operated by AA. I doubt it matters much since I assume AA will punt it to BA as AA had nothing to do with collection of taxes.

But strangely I feel good about my chances. I was able to find a rep to create conjunction tickets, so let's see where all this leads.
Old May 24, 2016, 5:32 pm

I was able to find a rep to create conjunction tickets, so let's see where all this leads.
Could you elaborate - what were your two tickets and what did the rep tell you they'd done?
Old May 24, 2016, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Could you elaborate - what were your two tickets and what did the rep tell you they'd done?
+1. I'm puzzled.
Old May 24, 2016, 5:40 pm

One ticket booked on BA, operated by AA: AAA-LHR-AAA

Two tickets LHR-BBB and BBB-LHR, both booked and operated by BA.

BA rep was able to create a single conjunction ticket AAA-LHR-BBB-LHR-AAA. She agreed with my reasoning to claim APD refund, she couldn't get a refund on the spot, but helped me to start the claim. This is day 1, so I'll keep you all posted.

On another ticket, she notated (but didn't officially put them together) that I'm coming from another country on another airline and connect thru LHR.

Last edited by BigRedBears; May 25, 2016 at 7:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.