Community
Wiki Posts
Search

G-gath a320

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
I don't believe they limit to 5 rows. On my flight out there were 8 rows. I think CE does pretty well out of Gatwick so would be surprised if 5 was the limit. Always happy to be wrong. Also as said above the A320 from Gatwick will not be as densified as those at LHR. I also seem to remember that when the G-GAT aircraft were refurbished before entry to service they were given new ovens etc,..
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
I don't believe they limit to 5 rows. On my flight out there were 8 rows. I think CE does pretty well out of Gatwick so would be surprised if 5 was the limit. Always happy to be wrong. Also as said above the A320 from Gatwick will not be as densified as those at LHR. I also seem to remember that when the G-GAT aircraft were refurbished before entry to service they were given new ovens etc,..
I think you're right, the capping is at 7 rows, on newly refurbished aircraft. https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...pe-seven-rows/

The recent stories we have heard about a further ‘refresh’ of Club Europe catering do not appear to be caused by poor reaction to the last set of changes. It is being driven by a more fundamental problem – British Airways cannot operate the current tray-based Club Europe food service if it is to sell more than 28 seats.

This is a tricky problem which is going to take time to resolve. In the short term, my understanding is that British Airways will cap Club Europe at seven rows on flights where a new or refurbished aircraft will, or could, operate it. This will allow the food service to continue to be tray based with the existing crockery.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
Vectismanpaul - Apologies for delayed reply but I stupidly didn’t have email notification set on the thread. It’s just as well you didn’t need any restaurant recommendations otherwise you’d have gone hungry! Good to see there are a few of us here in Paphos but sorry you’re heading home today. Have a great flight (I’m sure you will) and the same to RDO Flyer for tomorrow (and good luck with the upgrade - I checked Expertflyer and if I’m reading it correctly, there are 4 seats left in CE on tomorrow’s flight so you never know, and 8 rows!).
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by PlaneSpeaking
RDO Flyer for tomorrow (and good luck with the upgrade - I checked Expertflyer and if I’m reading it correctly, there are 4 seats left in CE on tomorrow’s flight so you never know, and 8 rows!).
BA currently offering upgrade for two at £338,
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by cosmo74
I think you're right, the capping is at 7 rows, on newly refurbished aircraft. https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...pe-seven-rows/

The recent stories we have heard about a further ‘refresh’ of Club Europe catering do not appear to be caused by poor reaction to the last set of changes. It is being driven by a more fundamental problem – British Airways cannot operate the current tray-based Club Europe food service if it is to sell more than 28 seats.

This is a tricky problem which is going to take time to resolve. In the short term, my understanding is that British Airways will cap Club Europe at seven rows on flights where a new or refurbished aircraft will, or could, operate it. This will allow the food service to continue to be tray based with the existing crockery.
That sounds like it could cause fun when a non refurbished aircraft with 8 rows of CE sold is swapped for a new/refurbished aircraft. Will passengers in row 8 get no food?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:18 am

Hi RDOFlyer. Well, it’s better than £900+ and unlikely to improve further given total seats left. I’d just do it as a nice end to the break, a decent meal, some good drinks and 80 tier points but I’m known for being daft! Others would say you can’t possibly get value at that figure so put it towards your next flight out here, which it would probably cover in Y! In my opinion, it’s not always about value but whatever you decide to do, don’t forget you won’t get lounge access in PFO unless you have Priority Pass or pay for access as it was “enhanced” away quite a while ago.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:25 am

PS: 2 D/F bulkhead available if this is your preference. Good luck!
Old Jun 30, 2018, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
Flew home yesterday on G-MIDO. Flight arrived at Gatwick 5 minutes before time at 2330. Very swift pass through airport. Passport control not busy at all and suitcases were out very quickly. Was leaving Summer Special car park near North Terminal by 0030!
Seven rows of CE almost completely full. Euro Traveller packed too. Another great crew. Enjoyed the food and plenty of drinks runs.
Thanks for all your responses..
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:47 am

Glad you had a better trip on the return and on MIDO too which was our outbound bird.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 12:13 pm

Currently sitting on the tarmac on G-GATP in Paphos due to ATC restrictions. Been told departing at 21:20 local, so 1 hour late.
Also been told no food available for this flight, which many are not happy about. However this does not bother us as we ate before we left.

BUT got 3 seats for 2 of us, moved from 23EF to 20AB about 4 hours after check in. So nice result! 😊
Old Jun 30, 2018, 12:20 pm

What, no BoB? That’s odd - they must have been starving on the way out! Anyway, well done on the seats and have a safe trip.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:04 am

We flew back in J on Sunday evening - very pleasant flight on G-GATL and super crew. However, there does appear to be a recurring theme going on as per RDOFlyer’s comment as an announcement was made that there might not be enough food in Y. It’s all very well introducing a BoB model but if it can’t be delivered consistently, what’s the point? Also, a somewhat embarrassed CSD apologising for the mere 5 bread rolls available in J for 25 pax (5 seats empty). Apparently, someone had forgotten to load them. Oh, and the 3 blankets too. Food quality wasn’t as good as it has been for the last 18-ish months but I suspect that was a one-off. Other than these minor issues, it was a good trip, just 20 mins late and through LGW very quickly and already looking forward to our next trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.