Wiki Posts
Search

G-gath a320

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
G-gath a320

Just wondering if anyway knows when above is returning to service. Boarded this aircraft early for the 1120 departure to Paphos last Wednesday. After 90 minutes had to change aircraft after engine fault could not be repaired. Finally departed on G-GATN at 1355 with the same crew. Have to say crew were excellent throughout. Captain regularly came into cabin with updates and cabin crew distributing drinks whilst we were waiting. This approach went down very well with passengers. Didn't hear any complaints at all. Most were reassured that safety was indeed first. I noticed on way back to Gatwick the captain made up over an hour landing at 2340 rather than the scheduled 2210. They must have been getting close to hours by then. Anyway now enjoying another holiday in Paphos!
According to Flight Radar24 aircraft hasn't flown since. Just curious to know what the fault was and whether engine change is required. Notice this morning G-TTOB has gone to Gatwick to help out. Also another Titan 737 helping out at times in addition to their 2 A320s. I think the 737 is operating what Eastern were meant to be doing in June but they seem to have crew issues!
Finally I really enjoyed the Club Lounge. Great selection of food and drinks plus very proactive staff.
Any responses and information appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Just checked FR24 again. Looks like aircraft is returning to service tomorrow with a flight to Thessaloniki.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Which row were you in outbound? I haven't been on G-GATx A320 with the additional row of seats at 1ABC. I know there must numerous posts about these aircraft on FT. Just curious about your personal experience in CE and if the lack of bulkhead affects the service or experience.

Enjoy your holiday in Paphos.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:23 am
Original Poster

I was in 8F and my mother 8D. I am 6 3 tall and found the seating fine. The spare middle seat also enables you to turn and stretch your legs when needed. 1A and 1C were occupied. Ok no bulkhead but plenty of room leg room there. The two occupants appeared to enjoy chatting with the cabin crew who were very attentive. Catering was very good and there was an almost continuous drinks run plus tea and coffee. Good flight. To be honest this is my usual experience and I find it hard to relate to some of the more negative the comments on here. However I tend to be a laid back traveller and not over fussy. The price was good too. I booked last August. Loads are always good on the Paphos run. There were 30 of us in CE. Never seen less than 8 rows on this service. Always enjoy the Gatwick crews. They seem to have good rapport with each other. Maybe because it's a smaller base than LHR.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:10 am

"laid back and not over fussy" - my approach also.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Return to service now looks delayed until Monday for a flight to Italy. Been updating this during breaks from sunbathing and pool dips. Life is tough!
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:56 am

I'm killing time in the Galleries lounge at LHR. This one's on business.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Looks like return to service has been put back again. Would be interesting to know what's wrong and taking so long to fix.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Flight Radar24 been updated. Looks like G-GATH is flying to Faro and then Malaga today.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
Hi Vectismanpaul,

We’re in Paphos too on one of our regular jaunts here.

We arrived Friday ex-LGW on G-MIDO which I think is ex-BMI but fortunately for us, we didn’t have any problems and even landed early. I hope your delay didn’t detract too much from your break.

I agree, PFO is always a busy route so we were very surprised to note CE didn’t expand beyond 5 rows on our flight. Great service as usual though and a very pleasant flight. I agree re too many negative comments. I also agree re the LGW lounges - J and F in the South terminal are way better than what was on offer when BA’s home was in the North Terminal and despite the delayed opening, they were definitely worth the wait. We just hope the terminal itself is given a bit of a refresh one day.

We’ve been baffled by the bulkhead situation on our last few flights. All of our LGW-PFO aircraft have had a left hand bulkhead and all of our returns have not. Probably just coincidence particularly as your outbound was without a bulkhead but interesting all the same for nerdy me! We tend to prefer the bulkhead but we have sat in 1a/1c when there hasn’t been one. Yes, legroom is great but it can sometimes get a little busy when the loo is in high demand. It can also get a little chilly in 1a but I don’t mind this.

Anyway, enjoy your time here and if you’re not a regular, let me know if you need any restaurant recommendations. Otherwise, I hope you have a pleasant break and a stress-free flight home.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Many thanks for your comments Plane Speaking. This is my tenth visit so know area quite well. Like the Peiya/coral Bay Area. Always rent a privately owned Villa. Weather wasn't brilliant first few days but now hot and sunny.
Beginning to realise that the heat may not be such a draw for me these days. Like having a tan but hate the process of getting one! I just end up a freckled moled mess lol! Anyway going home on Friday. Might be good to have one of the G-MID aircraft for a change. We shall see not that it matters much. Enjoy your stay!
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:55 am
Original Poster

In between pool dips just checked FR24 and there does seem to be a pattern of G-MID_ aircraft operating the Friday flights at the moment. In the high season I guess it's mainly the 177 seaters owing to high demand so therefore the G-GAT aircraft. I think it's amusing that after the latest densification at Heathrow to 180 seats the Gatwick based A320 aircraft will have the least seats with 168/ 177! I am led to believe that as more NEOs are delivered to Heathrow another 10 A320 are being transfered to LGW without being densified so staying at 168. Those who see us Gatwick users as peasants will be furious!
I have to add I fly from both airports and just enjoy what's on offer lol.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
Catering was very good and there was an almost continuous drinks run plus tea and coffee. Good flight. To be honest this is my usual experience and I find it hard to relate to some of the more negative the comments on here. However I tend to be a laid back traveller and not over fussy. Always enjoy the Gatwick crews. They seem to have good rapport with each other. Maybe because it's a smaller base than LHR.
9 times out of 10 the Gatters crews are better in my view. I just wish I lived closer than to Heathrow and I use it more short haul. Always friendly and helpful, they make spending extra on CE worth it I think.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:03 am

I am currently in Paphos too staying in peyia in a villa.. arrived last week on G-GATP the crew where brilliant. The aircraft on the other hand was was rather dirty, tray table had coffee stains all over it! Me and the girlfriend are heading home this Saturday, currently booked in to 23 E and F. Will hope for an upgrade but doubtful, but you never know! 🤞 BA currently want £900+ for the upgrade.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PlaneSpeaking
I agree, PFO is always a busy route so we were very surprised to note CE didn’t expand beyond 5 rows on our flight. Great service as usual though and a very pleasant flight.
Don't they limit CE to 5 rows because that's all they can fit the catering in for, after removing some of the galley space? I'm heading to Paphos in September so interesting to hear all your comments on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.