Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat reservation refund after upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Matthew Brown
Just realised we are 800 Avios short so will have to pay £31 for 1000 which is awful value but all we can do!

This may realistically be our only chance to try F for a few years at least so going to book now.
Viewed as a standalone purchase it is truly grim value yes, but it's the minimum amount you can buy so it would always be thus (if you were buying 10,000 you'd be paying just over half the amount per Avios)

I'd suggest instead view it as part of the total cost. A common nominal value on an Avios is 1p, so if you turn it around and say your £31 would be worth 3,100 more Avios, would you still have done the upgrade to F if the quoted price had been 3,100 more Avios ? If yes, it's still good value to you.

The only other thing I can suggest is that if you know anyone who might transfer some unneeded Avios to you, you could try that route, but unless they are Gold or above I believe that costs money, and do you want to risk the seats going? Personally I'd book now as you are doing
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Given that the OP is getting £200 back for the CW seat reservations that are no longer needed, £31 seems a small price to pay for the additional Avios needed for the F outbound segments.
mikeyfly and BertieBadger like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Great news well done OP - net gain £169 and two seats in F
Matthew Brown likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks again to all that contributed, managed to get through and get both upgrade and refund processed quickly.

Now just need to work out the best seats for us.....
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Matthew Brown
Thanks again to all that contributed, managed to get through and get both upgrade and refund processed quickly.

Now just need to work out the best seats for us.....
Well done, that's a great outcome.

There are loads of opinions in the First seating guide thread.

Seating Queries: First

Personally I like a pair of window seats, ideally K side going west. You can use the buddy seat to dine together and they are a little more private and spacious than a middle pair. But really, for an occasional F flyer such as myself there are no bad seats in First really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.