Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA cheap fare tool - totally inaccurate ??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

BA cheap fare tool - totally inaccurate ??

I was using the BA cheapest fare tool and for New York in July it says > £4K return.

When I actually look at booking a flight on the same dates (13th - 15th July) I can get it for £1600.

Why is there such a huge difference ?

Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Amb
The difference may be because your two examples are different routes? One route appears to be from London to New York (the cheapest fare finder) but you have then actually gone to book Glasgow to New York (via London) looking at your second screenshot, which would bring up a different price.

So London to New York is £4000 roughly
And Glasgow to New York is £1600 roughly

What happens if you try to book London to New York, is it the same price as the cheapest fare finder? It may seem odd but sometimes adding on a regional or exEU staring airport can bring down the price to below a simple London to XXX journey.

Bri
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:19 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Th cheap fare finder is for LON-NYC, whereas your specific quotes are for GLA-NYC. For July it seems GLA-NYC is much cheaper than starting in London.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Good point. Yeah, London is significantly higher when checking not using the low fare finder.

Seems amazing that there is such a huge price difference flying from Glasgow.

Thanks.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
A combination of the very attractive fare KX4T1S6 (£1098 return, ex charges & taxes) and good I class availability on the earlier flights on those days - probably because noone travels for business at those times in those directions.

If I wasn't so busy I might take a weekend break to NY via Glasgow just to enhance the TP and Avios stash

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.