Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow Third Runway Approved by Parliament

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Third Runway Approved by Parliament

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:18 am
Suspended

I am going to weigh in as well. Besides the runway I think the government also should apply maximum capacity per aircraft landing in Heathrow. For example to restrict A320 at capacity of 169 and A321 capacity at 190. This should stop airlines trying to squeeze in as many seats as possible. If the airlines want to put in more passengers, use bigger aircraft. It could be done in the safety review. A small aircraft with way too many people is a safety hazard for passengers and airport operation.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
What about, as a short-term (10-30 years?) solution, building a new Heathrow T6 at, for example, RAF Northolt, and linking it to T5/4/3/2 by something like a fast monorail? Should be relatively low cost and quick to implement, and shouldn't disadvantage pax too much either. It could be used for domestic and other short haul flights (a little bit like in SYD, BNE or PER). Not perfect by any means, but perhaps doable.

There could be a little opposition from the good residents of the Northolt area, and I'm not sure how ATC would handle it, but it could be feasible. Meanwhile work could take place on developing the longer-term Boris vision...
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Grace B
What about, as a short-term (10-30 years?) solution, building a new Heathrow T6 at, for example, RAF Northolt, and linking it to T5/4/3/2 by something like a fast monorail? Should be relatively low cost and quick to implement, and shouldn't disadvantage pax too much either. It could be used for domestic and other short haul flights (a little bit like in SYD, BNE or PER). Not perfect by any means, but perhaps doable.

There could be a little opposition from the good residents of the Northolt area, and I'm not sure how ATC would handle it, but it could be feasible. Meanwhile work could take place on developing the longer-term Boris vision...
If you invest a considerable amount of money into infrastructure at Heathrow (be it Northolt or any other scenario) Boris Island becomes even less viable than it already is today.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What about, as a short-term (10-30 years?) solution, building a new Heathrow T6 at, for example, RAF Northolt, and linking it to T5/4/3/2 by something like a fast monorail? Should be relatively low cost and quick to implement, and shouldn't disadvantage pax too much either.
You are no doubt referring to the extremely strong track record the UK has in delivering large-scale public infrastructure projects on time and on budget. A Liam Fox quote comes to mind...something about 'easiest in history'?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by 1010101
Noone is going to catch the train to Euston/Kings Cross to then sit on the tube for an hour to get to Heathrow.
I already do. And Mrs Harry. when we travel together. From Kings Cross, the Heathrow Express route is only about 10 minutes faster than the Piccadilly line end to end. Add in the hassle of tugging luggage down and up and down again and the "greed is good" cost you get the crazy situation of the Piccadilly line being the easiest and cheapest way.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:58 am

Im sure there would be heaps of opposition from the good people of Hillingdon..... RAF Northolt is barely in Northolt, more South Ruislip....
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by flygirl68

Im sure there would be heaps of opposition from the good people of Hillingdon..... RAF Northolt is barely in Northolt, more South Ruislip....
Didnt a 747 land there by accident once? They had to strip most of the interior out to enable it take off.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Worcester
Didnt a 747 land there by accident once?
Are you thinking of this 707? https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1001607/
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by BOH
I have read extracts - but if you read my post, am not claiming at all that it would be safer. I said it is viable from a safety perspective - meaning it meets the required standards,
No, I apologise, I should have been clearer. Heathrow Hub have claimed their plan to be safer than the proposed 3 parallel-runway operation. I don't think there's anything in the HH proposal that is inherently unsafe personally. I have other reasons for concerns, as well as the obvious lack of noise respite close in.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by simons1
And there was me thinking airlines and airports created jobs. And purchased goods from other companies that created jobs. And invested in infrastructure that also creates jobs. And that airlines and other businesses paid taxes.

Dear oh dear.
Previous posts commented interestingly and intelligently on discussion point, this doesn't.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Jun 8, 2018 at 1:41 am
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Are you thinking of this 707? https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1001607/
Love it. Perhaps the Queen wasn't amused...
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:52 am

Northolt only just accommodates business jets (benefits from being a military and not civil airfield), it wouldn’t cope with anything larger without major works and likely a few thousand properties being flattened.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by TedToToe

If you invest a considerable amount of money into infrastructure at Heathrow (be it Northolt or any other scenario) Boris Island becomes even less viable than it already is today.
I think now the Heathrow 3rd Runway is the only option. Boris Island will never happen, it's taken X amount of years to get to this stage just for a new runway at a fully operational airport. How long would it take to plan and push through a brand new airport?

Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by bmibaby737
I think now the Heathrow 3rd Runway is the only option. Boris Island will never happen, it's taken X amount of years to get to this stage just for a new runway at a fully operational airport. How long would it take to plan and push through a brand new airport?
I read the reports of the airports commission. Boris Island or anything like it was ruled out for more than one reason. It really isn’t going to happen. Sadly one of the slightly circular arguments was that Britain doesn’t do major planned strategic infrastructure moves based on future requirements. If that’s the attitude of those given a specific brief of having a vision for the nation then we really are in a sad place as a country.

The practical problems with the island are huge. If we’re going to build a three or four runway hub somewhere other than LHR the least challenging location is expanding STN to the east. Given its location the infrastructure upgrade for ground transport would need to be breathtakingly ambitious.

There is still huge risk that LHR R3 is undeliverable. I personally hope it does not happen — it’s a dreadful place for
an airport and adding to the noise footprint of it is a terrible health and social blight for many thousands of people. Do not underestimate the legal and political challenges that it faces which will likely delay it further and maybe stop it happening at all.

Expansion elsewhere is needed as well or instead. Immediately. And we need a long term plan for an airport which can compete with the world’s best — CDG, DFW etc. We cannot hope to do that on the cramped site at LHR.
David_Doyle and flygirl68 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Vote in the house of commons today on third runway.

Conservatives - whipping the vote, likely to be a number of rebels especially of London MPs. Boris Johnson (not resigned from the cabinet or as MP) being as brave as his hair colour suggests has conveniently arranged to be out of the country.

Labour - not whipping, but against the third runway (was never going to be for under Corbyn) but likely a number of Labour MPs will defy (Guardian reporting up to 100). A number of powerful trade Unions backing third runway.

SNP - Unclear, officially for third runway but individual MPs have come out against. Not said if they will whip.

DUP - Likely to vote with the government

Seems clear that the government won't win this with Conservative & DUP MPs alone, but SNP support and Labour rebels will it seems ensure the passage.
Woodbinerich likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.