Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tier Points Year End Cutoff

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
@Schultzois yes you will need to call BA to ask them to apply the TPs for the flight on the 10th - once they post which is usually a couple of days later unless there are any problems - to your old year. This isn't an issue.

@newyorklondon It has generally been understood (and has not been contradicted by the BA staff who post here) that the 14 days is fixed and cannot be reduced so that ALL tier points earned in the 14 day period get cancelled out of the new year and applied to the old year not just those needed to gain / retain status.
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
@newyorklondon It has generally been understood (and has not been contradicted by the BA staff who post here) that the 14 days is fixed and cannot be reduced so that ALL tier points earned in the 14 day period get cancelled out of the new year and applied to the old year not just those needed to gain / retain status.
Ah, I see! I thought it's never happened that way for our accounts (well, with regard to wife's account, which is usually in need of the grace period). But, thinking about it, I think it only looks that way because her TPs earned in the grace period have never been cancelled out. (I know it's not meant to happen that way!)
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
Ah, I see! I thought it's never happened that way for our accounts (well, with regard to wife's account, which is usually in need of the grace period). But, thinking about it, I think it only looks that way because her TPs earned in the grace period have never been cancelled out.
This has been reported by some persons also. While it seems they are supposed to be subtracted oftentimes they are not.
newyorklondon likes this.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Aug 8, 2018 at 2:03 pm Reason: speling
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:21 am

Thanks for the various replies. I suppose for at least the next few days I'll wait and see what happens.

I'll also try to figure out what I'm likely to do between now and 30 September... If I don't even bother calling in and applying the first two weeks of the coming year to the year ending, then I'll be at 200 TPs by August 27 anyway, and another trip or two could see me back at 600 by 30 September. And with a little more effort, back at 1500 later in the year.

If it seems I'll need the flight from the 10th to bump me from 560 to 600, and I won't get Silver quickly in the new year with new travel, then I'll ring up in a week or so, knowing that I might lose not only that flight but also my flight on the 17th when it comes to credit for the coming year.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I think the point was clarified above but just to make clear (my CCR for the next 14 months depends on it), if my TP collection year is stated as ending on 1 October, will a flight that I take on 1 October count towards that year?

In other words, does the reset occur at 00:01 on 1 October or at 00:01 on 2 October?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
I think the point was clarified above but just to make clear (my CCR for the next 14 months depends on it), if my TP collection year is stated as ending on 1 October, will a flight that I take on 1 October count towards that year?

In other words, does the reset occur at 00:01 on 1 October or at 00:01 on 2 October?
It won't be 1 October - all membership years end on the eighth of a month.

Any flight whose scheduled departure date (expressed in local time, as they always are for public consumption) is 8 October will count in the old year. Any flight whose scheduled departure date is 9 October will count in the new year.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:02 am

I have a related query. My TP collection year ended on 8 September and (as usual) my Recent Transactions shows “Points Reset for New Membership Year” on 10 September.

I also happened to fly on 8 September (JAL, Domestic F), for which 60 TPs were credited on 16 September. Alongside this, my Recent Transactions also shows a simultaneous “Balance Adjustment” of -60 TPs, presumably as (quite correctly) the 60 TPs should not count towards my current collection year.

My question is whether, by having the 60 TPs reduced by a “Balance Adjustment” rather than the “Points Reset for New Membership Year”, have I missed out on those TPs counting towards my Lifetime TPs? I don’t care at all about which year the 60 TPs fall in (it won’t matter either way), but I would like them to be included in my Lifetime TPs. (I am not anal enough to have kept a record of my Lifetime TPs pre- and post- adjustment...)
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by hearingdouble
My question is whether, by having the 60 TPs reduced by a “Balance Adjustment” rather than the “Points Reset for New Membership Year”, have I missed out on those TPs counting towards my Lifetime TPs?
They should count, but I think that you'd need to check your total from time to time if you are to be able to make sure that they have counted.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I have a related query. My TP collection year ended on 8 September and (as usual) my Recent Transactions shows “Points Reset for New Membership Year” on 10 September.

I also happened to fly on 8 September (JAL, Domestic F), for which 60 TPs were credited on 16 September. Alongside this, my Recent Transactions also shows a simultaneous “Balance Adjustment” of -60 TPs, presumably as (quite correctly) the 60 TPs should not count towards my current collection year.

My question is whether, by having the 60 TPs reduced by a “Balance Adjustment” rather than the “Points Reset for New Membership Year”, have I missed out on those TPs counting towards my Lifetime TPs? I don’t care at all about which year the 60 TPs fall in (it won’t matter either way), but I would like them to be included in my Lifetime TPs. (I am not anal enough to have kept a record of my Lifetime TPs pre- and post- adjustment...)
Can't see why they wouldn't count, given that all other TPs are subject to the same "balance adjustment" each year.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer

Tier point year end dates are always the 8th of the month. the 8th is that last day of the old year,

Flights that depart on the 8th count to the old year

Flights that depart on the 9th count to the new year
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star

All they have done is adjusted your points for the current year

The points will still have been applied to your lifetime TPs

What you are seeing is normal
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
TP earned just before cut off - can they count in new year?

I think I already know the answer to this.. however just wanted to see if anyone else has more experience and can give a solid answer. I completed a TP run earning 120 on 3rd February & I stupidly realised my collection year ends on 8th Feb... I am doing a QR First flight from DOH - LHR earning 210 TP in March, hence wanted the 120 tier points to give me at least bronze. Do you think BA will be flexible at all and allow the points earned on 3rd Feb to count to the new year?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
No. Just not possible
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Joe McGarey. It's good to see you here and I look forward to seeing more contributions from you in the future.

Unfortunately BA won't give you flexibility in that area, since it would effectively remove the point of the annual year cycle. You could do a Club Europe return from LGW to EDI or GLA to get 80 TP for around £240 or so.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Joe McGarey. It's good to see you here and I look forward to seeing more contributions from you in the future.

Unfortunately BA won't give you flexibility in that area, since it would effectively remove the point of the annual year cycle. You could do a Club Europe return from LGW to EDI or GLA to get 80 TP for around £240 or so.
Thank you for the welcome! That’s what I thought, just wanted to check. Does the 2 week grace period exist still? If I were to do an EDI run up to 2 weeks after the cut off, could this count toward my previous years collection?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.