Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Class action case over fuel surcharge results in Avios distribution (US members only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Class action case over fuel surcharge results in Avios distribution (US members only)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:17 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by beachfan
And you folks think BA's systems are so solid that there couldn't be an error?

And I fail to see how offering one member of a household account satisfies the valid claim of another member. The household isn't a plaintiff, but all the individuals are.

There have been no reports of more than one family member in a household account getting an email or unique id. And my offer is half of what it should be for redemptions out of the household account, based on the fuel surcharges I know I paid.

If this stays this way, I will be filing a complaint to the judge regarding the administrators, based on the lack of an offer for my wife, and the insufficient offer, based on 16.9% of the YQ on eligible plantiffs/redemptions, the lack of transparency, and the lack of reasonable communication on the part of the administrator.

But please, the rest of you, just trust BA and the plantiff lawyers.
I will attest that both my brother and I belong to the same household account, and we both received E-mails with unique identifiers. He received 12,500 + $5 and I received 20000 + $154.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:07 pm
uxb

According to ECF, there are two objections.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:51 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by beachfan
And you folks think BA's systems are so solid that there couldn't be an error?

And I fail to see how offering one member of a household account satisfies the valid claim of another member. The household isn't a plaintiff, but all the individuals are.

There have been no reports of more than one family member in a household account getting an email or unique id. And my offer is half of what it should be for redemptions out of the household account, based on the fuel surcharges I know I paid.

If this stays this way, I will be filing a complaint to the judge regarding the administrators, based on the lack of an offer for my wife, and the insufficient offer, based on 16.9% of the YQ on eligible plantiffs/redemptions, the lack of transparency, and the lack of reasonable communication on the part of the administrator.

But please, the rest of you, just trust BA and the plantiff lawyers.
I'm assuming you are not Weiss. Their objection concerned this critique. Defendant argues that qualified class members had to make the purchase from their own individual account in order to receive compensation. If one member of a household account makes a redemption for one or more account holders, then it counts as one claim and not two. The cash option was calculated to account for all tickets purchased by an individual and not a household. For instance, I flew to JNB on BA in 2010. The flights I paid for myself and my then girlfriend were attributed to myself and not both of us because I was the payor of these fees and she was not. Further, as described above, both my brother and I belong to the same household and both of us received claim numbers because we each paid for tickets using our own accounts. Their objection will likely be quashed, and they are not presenting themselves to argue.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I didn't get a claim code so e-mailed for info. After a couple of replies (they need name and address, not the BAEC number) got an offer of $710 or 20,000 avios. No brainer.
I wouldn't have known about this unless reading about it on FT so really appreciate the info. I'm not sure there's real due diligence in contacting class members as there's no reason they couldn't have contacted me.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by uxb
I'm assuming you are not Weiss. Their objection concerned this critique. Defendant argues that qualified class members had to make the purchase from their own individual account in order to receive compensation. If one member of a household account makes a redemption for one or more account holders, then it counts as one claim and not two. The cash option was calculated to account for all tickets purchased by an individual and not a household. For instance, I flew to JNB on BA in 2010. The flights I paid for myself and my then girlfriend were attributed to myself and not both of us because I was the payor of these fees and she was not. Further, as described above, both my brother and I belong to the same household and both of us received claim numbers because we each paid for tickets using our own accounts. Their objection will likely be quashed, and they are not presenting themselves to argue.
For my case, the flights were two-for-one redemptions. Myself plus wife. She's not made any independent redemptions during the relevant period so I don't see her having any disagreement with me getting the compensation.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:08 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by gormless
I didn't get a claim code so e-mailed for info. After a couple of replies (they need name and address, not the BAEC number) got an offer of $710 or 20,000 avios. No brainer.
I wouldn't have known about this unless reading about it on FT so really appreciate the info. I'm not sure there's real due diligence in contacting class members as there's no reason they couldn't have contacted me.
Are you saying you didn’t get an E-mail or mail class notice?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by gormless
I'm not sure there's real due diligence in contacting class members as there's no reason they couldn't have contacted me.
FWIW, I've only flown BA twice and that was an award RT to CDG nearly 8 years ago. Apparently my old BA EC account is gone (no recovery method worked) and I've changed addresses twice in that time yet they still found me, via E-mail.

Is your E-mail address you'd given BA still the same?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by uxb
Are you saying you didn’t get an E-mail or mail class notice?
Yes. First I heard of this was on this forum. Address hasn't changed in over 30 years, e-mail address probably the same for 15+ years. I have no idea why I never received notice.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Am eligible, but did not receive notice. Should have been no problem reaching me.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:55 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by ohmark
Am eligible, but did not receive notice. Should have been no problem reaching me.
I wonder how many others are in this position. How did you first find out about this?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I don't remember ever receiving an email but I was pretty sure I would be included based on the dates. I was going to just wait and see how many Avios I was going to get since I didn't get a Unique ID number (since I never got the email) but when I saw one of the posts on a blog forum noting the cash option had to filled by the 29th I decided to email to see what my options were.

Boy am I happy I did that!!!!

Once I got my Unique ID I saw that my options were 20,000 Avios or $693.50! Seriously? Who would go for the points in that case? Thankfully I took some initiative to follow-up on this before the deadline. I would have been upset with myself if I automatically got 20k Avios instead of that much money back. Probably explains why BA sent out emails that went into peoples spam folders and got lost since 20k Avios is probably much cheaper for them. Feel bad for all those people that don't read FT or other blogs who had the email go to their spam folders and thus never filed for the cash option and will get some measly Avios amount as compensation.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by uxb

I wonder how many others are in this position. How did you first find out about this?
FT, on 7/26. Then submitted email inquiry, and now awaiting response. Not sure what to do if no response to email by 7/29 cash deadline.

Last edited by ohmark; Jul 27, 2018 at 9:55 am
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by ohmark
FT, on 7/26. Then submitted email inquiry, and now awaiting response. Not sure what to do if no response to email by 7/29 cash deadline.
First I heard of this was also on FT, 24 hours ago. In fairness, I checked my BAEC details after seeing this thread, and I had an old address on there, but still no reason I shouldn't have gotten an email notice.

I updated my BAEC address, then sent an email to [email protected] requesting my Unique ID (included name, BAEC No., and address in the email). I got a reply a couple hours ago with the Unique ID, then logged on and saw the 20,000/$509 offer and chose the cash option.

So it's definitely possible that you'll get a response in time.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
So it's definitely possible that you'll get a response in time.
Just did; submitted claim.
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:40 pm
BCH

Anyone receiving their miles/dollars yet?

For some reason I can no longer find my emails with the claim code, but I'm pretty sure I submitted the claim online. (Either way, I think a claim submission was not necessary if the claimant was requesting Avios anyway.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.