Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Class action case over fuel surcharge results in Avios distribution (US members only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Class action case over fuel surcharge results in Avios distribution (US members only)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by lewisc
$105.53 or 12,500 miles. Any thoughts on how to value miles? My BA avios come from amex teansfers. I'm leaning to cash.
GBP0.01 / USD0.015 or so each if you can spend them, and 0.00 if using them would be too hard . So USD180 or so for the 12.5k Avios, meaning the cash option may be more valuable as a devaluation proof, liquid option.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by travelmad478
I have 35,000 Avios or $605. Tough choice actually. I can generally get somewhat more than $605 in value from 35K Avios--BUT I already have 445K Avios in my account and at the rate I use them (maybe 150K/year), that 35K is likely to be devalued before I ever get to it. The "bird in the hand" aspect of taking the cash might win out. Advice/suggestions?
If BA was currently offering 35k avios for sale for $605, would you go and make a purchase now?

if yes, then take the BA play money
If not, then take the cash
ExpatExp and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
my offer was 20,000 avios or $197. chose the avios.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:42 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by travelmad478
I have 35,000 Avios or $605. Tough choice actually. I can generally get somewhat more than $605 in value from 35K Avios--BUT I already have 445K Avios in my account and at the rate I use them (maybe 150K/year), that 35K is likely to be devalued before I ever get to it. The "bird in the hand" aspect of taking the cash might win out. Advice/suggestions?
if you have 3 years worth of miles i'd take the money. given that you get 1.7usc/avios
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by Acid
Got offer for 20K avios or $14. I didn't have any long haul flights that time - just a couple of RFS flights I think.
Thank you BA!
Hmm, I think you meant to thank the lawyers, no? BA would hardly have doled these out without their intervention.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
I was US resident for a couple of years during this period and was offered 20,000 Avios or US$121. 20,000 is handy for European redemptions, so took the Avios offer.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If BA was currently offering 35k avios for sale for $605, would you go and make a purchase now?

if yes, then take the BA play money
If not, then take the cash
Cash it is. It is good to be reminded of behavioral finance every once in a while, thanks And I am also thinking along the same lines as kaka.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
My Offer:
Avios Option: 35,000 miles

Cash Option: $755.28

Should I take the cash and put it all in Bitcoin?

In all seriousness, I'm likely to choose cash. I don't fly BA much these days, having shifted to *A.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Is there any idea of when the cash might be distributed? (I assume after July 29, but how long after, I wonder.). Depending on how long this drags out, the cash could devalue too
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
I sent email to the administrator to get my unique ID, but so far no reply.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
How about those of us that booked AA awards on a BA flight, still paid the fuel surcharge?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by diver858
How about those of us that booked AA awards on a BA flight, still paid the fuel surcharge?
It would seem not. The FAQ on the website suggests it has to be flights booked by redeeming Avios.

http://www.fuelsurchargeclassaction.com/faq

The Settlement Class under the Settlement includes: all United States resident Executive Club Members who redeemed Avios for an award ticket during the Class Period and who paid a BA-imposed fuel surcharge, so long as that United States resident Executive Club Member provided BA with a valid United States address at the time of booking.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Given that this was an action against BA, I wouldn't be able to see how it could apply to AA awards. I would expect that separate action against AA would be required in regards to its awards for travel on BA
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by beachfan
I definitely redeemed and paid fuel surcharges during that. And I am a US resident but did not receive an email. View from the wing has an email address that you can follow up with. In line anyone else in a similar situation?
I sent them an email as I didn’t receive the original email either, but still no reply. Have you heard back yet?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:00 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I sent them an email as I didn’t receive the original email either, but still no reply.
I'm guessing they have thousands of emails like yours (and mine) to deal with. Given that for some reason their first, automated searches of their records didn't come up with our names and redemptions, it may well take some time for someone to check the details we've given them against those records. I'm not expecting to hear back for a week or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.